Other How to make suggestions people will support

Alright...
Don't compare Terraria to real life.
Your argument is invalid, zimber. Here is my concrete staple of proof that disproves your statement.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/water-bottles-drowning-and-the-wet-debuff.1719/

There. A suggestion for logic that people responded well to. It is among many suggestions that implement logic and are well received. Your assumption is based more in your own cynical view of the community than actual occurrences. Maybe you tried to implement logic and you're butthurt about the negative feedback you got. I don't know. What I do know is that "Terraria isn't about logic" arguments are often more joking than they are serious, and there is no reason why you shouldn't suggest a logical element that you feel belongs in the game.

Your argument is invalid, zimber. Here is my concrete staple of proof that disproves your statement.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/water-bottles-drowning-and-the-wet-debuff.1719/

There. A suggestion for logic that people responded well to. It is among many suggestions that implement logic and are well received. Your assumption is based more in your own cynical view of the community than actual occurrences. Maybe you tried to implement logic and you're butthurt about the negative feedback you got. I don't know. What I do know is that "Terraria isn't about logic" arguments are often more joking than they are serious, and there is no reason why you shouldn't suggest a logical element that you feel belongs in the game.
k den

I only made 3 suggestions, ever, and I didn't base any of them on logic.
2 of them received positive feedback, while the third one was simply not Terrarias type.

Well thanks Baconfry for finally telling me where i went wrong with that thread on TO. I think I'll actually use this before I ever post my mobile exclusive boss idea (may have to be scraped, oh well you can always change it I guess) third thought I might just not post it at all

I'm just going to leave these here if anybody wants them :p

Rarity_color_negative.png

Rarity_color_0.png

Rarity_color_1.png

Rarity_color_2.png

Rarity_color_3.png

Rarity_color_4.png

Rarity_color_5.png

Rarity_color_6.png

Rarity_color_7.png

Rarity_color_8.png

Rarity_color_9.png

Rarity_color_quest.png

Great guide, as always, thanks for taking the time to do this

(or private static void... or private void... or protected void... or override void... or public void... or any other combination of possibilities :D)

//This is an awesome suggestion
public static void bestSuggestionEver(){
setPlayerInitialHP(10000);
setPlayerInitialDamage(10000);
canDieToFallDamage(False);
}

I didn't read the whole thing thoroughly but I can see that this thread should be stickyed so that newcomers will see it and read it and not make lame first suggestions with the excuse of "This is my 1st thread so plz dont h8 on me" Also, not sure if you do cover that but you should say that that is not a valid excuse in there somewhere.

#1: You must be one of the folowing: Tobbvald, Szgamer, Baconfry or Zoomo
#2: Randomly type out a suggestion which violates the law of game balance (X + Magic enhancing armors), item progression (Tobbvald's Curtain Ripper) and rage reduction (Szgamer's hardmode hell expansion) or all of them (RIA).
#3: Watch as people support your really bad (if it was actually implemented in the game) suggestion.

There is a reason why 99% of the suggestions devs actually put into the game are simple, rage reducing suggestions, such as the 'mouse over sign' suggestion.

Last edited:
#1: You must be one of the folowing: Tobbvald, Szgamer, Baconfry or Zoomo

Well would you look at that, four different people that aren't on your list got recognised. Yay for ignorance!

#2: Randomly type out a suggestion which violates the law of game balance (X + Magic enhancing armors), item progression (Tobbvald's Curtain Ripper) and rage reduction (Szgamer's hardmode hell expansion) or all of them (RIA).

Oh isn't this hilarious. You couldn't even come up with a valid reason as to why the Hardmode hell expansion is unbalanced, despite going on for more than a page.

#3: Watch as people support your really bad (if it was actually implemented in the game) suggestion.

I'm convinced that you're either a troll, or just upset/jealous that your suggestion didn't get received well.

There is a reason why 99% of the suggestions devs actually put into the game are simple, rage reducing suggestions, such as the 'mouse over sign' suggestion.

Please, do tell me, because you have a great history of providing valid reasons. I have my own reasons as to why, but I want to hear yours first.

Well would you look at that, four different people that aren't on your list got recognised. Yay for ignorance!

Of course, I missed out a few names such as ppowersteef and FlakMaster (and that odd Mcninja guy who post really bad ninja weapons suggestions and still get quite a lot of support). I am not going to list them all, but literally all of them do not have ? as their avatar.

Notice how all of those are to make the game 'smoother' or to fill in gaps? We don't have some stupid 'RIA' or 'Blazing and Toxic armor' rubbish in that list. All of those (save for Pink Gel) are changes centered around increasing player convenience or filling gaps. They are just nice enough to credit those thread makers.

Oh isn't this hilarious. You couldn't even come up with a valid reason as to why the Hardmode hell expansion is unbalanced, despite going on for more than a page.

Wall of Flesh emblem grinding, difficulty scaling and stuff. Some people just want a peaceful, Red Devil-free place for them to farm emblems. They don't want to keep dying to Red Devils and Wyvern reskins just to get all the emblems. I hope you understand that.

I'm convinced that you're either a troll, or just upset/jealous that your suggestion didn't get received well.

Notice the amount of 0 reply suggestions literally everywhere, despite their title being a description of their content?

Please, do tell me, because you have a great history of providing valid reasons. I have my own reasons as to why, but I want to hear yours first.

The devs want to push their game in a certain direction and they know exactly how their game works. They know that Melee + Magic armors are overpowered due to the existence of the Rainbow Gun and Nimbus Rod.

There is a reason why there are some stuff sitting in the 'not implemented' heap despite being nice and all (Contagion): The devs have another thing in mind.

Notice how most of the suggestions they are going to implement are going to be implemented regardless of whether the suggestion was made or not (Modifiers, Frost Arrow + Bullet)?

Maybe I am lurking too much in the Biomes section.

Last edited:
Of course, I missed out a few names such as ppowersteef and FlakMaster. I am not going to list them all, but literally all of them do not have ? as their avatar.
I have three suggestions on TCF. One of them is buried and forgotten. The potion limitation one on my signature isn't even received very well and the Dye one doesn't have much talk in it. To say that I myself am a 'famous suggester' alike to Sz or Baconfry is completely false.

Having a profile picture contributes little to the popularity of your threads and the comments it receive. Here's an example of a popular thread where the TC has no profile picture:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/expert-mode-suggestion.3973/page-3#post-171890

Wall of Flesh emblem grinding, difficulty scaling and stuff. Some people just want a peaceful, Red Devil-free place for them to farm emblems. They don't want to keep dying to Red Devils and Wyvern reskins just to get all the emblems. I hope you understand that.
I hope you understand that those people that can't handle something easier than the HardMode Jungle can still farm emblems at their own will by not killing the mechanicals or creating another world purposed for getting emblems. I'd also question the player's skill if they manage to kill mechanical bosses but are somehow unable to avoid the super slow projectiles of the Red Devil.

Notice the amount of 0 reply suggestions literally everywhere, despite their title being a description of their content?
So? I've had threads on TO that suffered this fate. These forums don't have thousands of people scanning the suggestions day by day, maybe not even hundreds. Heck, even Sz has numerous threads that don't exceed five replies. I've noticed that you don't advertise your suggestions on your signature whereas others that are 'popular' have done so. See a link with that? Don't expect your threads to be on-par in popularity in comparison to others if you aren't willing to advertise it like they do.

The devs want to push their game in a certain direction and they know exactly how their game works. They know that Melee + Magic armors are overpowered due to the existence of the Rainbow Gun and Nimbus Rod.
Source please, because the Rainbow Gun and Nimbus Rod don't win the game for you. Both of them are additive DPS which you can use regardless of your set-up.

There is a reason why there are some stuff sitting in the 'not implemented' heap despite being nice and all (Contagion): The devs have another thing in mind.
Well of course they still have their own ideas to get finished first. But how do you know whether the developers even agree with the suggestion? It may be well received by the community, but Redigit might not like the general idea of an alternate 'good' biome (concerning the Cyber). On top of that, after 1.3, they might jump in head first into the community forums for ideas for further updates.

Notice how most of the suggestions they are going to implement are going to be implemented regardless of whether the suggestion was made or not (Modifiers, Frost Arrow + Bullet)?
How do you know whether or not the developers simply overlooked the ideas? How do you know whether or not the idea did (or would ever) come to them from their own minds?

Of course, I missed out a few names such as ppowersteef and FlakMaster (and that odd Mcninja guy who post really bad ninja weapons suggestions and still get quite a lot of support). I am not going to list them all, but literally all of them do not have ? as their avatar.
If that's really an issue, just get a profile pic and see your own suggestions get support. :)

Umm, yes. This kind of stuff happens. Threads get overlooked, even at the best of times. I mean, I don't even bother checking out Zoomo's or Tobvald's threads at all. And I doubt I'm the only one.

The best you can make do is bump the thread(with sufficient content of course), and hope people to notice it.

The devs will add what they like, regardless whether or not they are widely accepted by the community. They have probably made a few changes to please the nay-sayers(Clowns/Vile Spit comes to mind), but only if they feel it's justifiable.

What I am absolutely flummoxed about is why you are so displeased with the support other suggestions received? :dryadwhat:

Heck, even Sz has numerous threads that don't exceed five replies.
I'm pretty dang sure I've still got a couple with no replies, too. :p I've got about a dozen or so with just 1 or 2.

The thing about me and Baconfry is that we have so many suggestion threads (I have over 120 at the moment) that we are bound to get a handful of popular ones. Attention is, by definition, drawn to said popular ones, and no one notices the unnoticed ones, because (again) by definition, they went unnoticed. See how that works?

The thing about Tobbvald and Zoomo is that they have huge ideas and time to make good sprites, which are definitely going to get noticed and earn their creators a reputation. Well developed ideas with big concepts behind them become super popular. That's just how things work.

The thing about 99% of all suggestions, not only ones posted by "unpopular" suggesters, is that they just aren't interesting enough to hold peoples attention. If it doesn't sound like a very good idea and it's presented inadequately, people won't be obliged to comment. The reason Baconfry and I get so many hits is because we make an effort to make our ideas presentable, and that's something, unfortunately, 90% of people don't think to do before posting a thread. Heck, we're in a thread that is dedicated to improving people's suggestion threads. Maybe you (@Oilura) should use it instead of making a big deal about the people who don't.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom