Other How to make suggestions people will support

Some practical advice that some people need to be aware of. People's impressions are made on the basis of what's displayed in their alerts.

Typically, a reply or quote in the thread is viewed with suspicion by the thread creator unless the person who replies also likes the post. When replying to a thread that you support, it's best to leave a like. You don't want to put people on the defensive when you aren't actually pointing out weaknesses!

I must add that people who reply "FULL SUPPORT!" without actually liking the main post are not typically judged favorably. Yes, there's no escape from judgement. Ever.

Conversely, liking the main post without replying is a common thing to see, but keep in mind that replying to a thread gives the thread attention, which is the best gift you can bestow upon a suggestion, especially when the effort is highly apparent.
lol I thought I'm the only one who thinks like that

I didn't see a part about polls so I'll suggest one:
Try to make polls as concise and as effective as possible. They are, after all, tools for the developers which give the public opinion. That means, having a poll with 8 kinds of yes, 5 kinds of no and 2 kinds of maybe is hardly effective and just clutters your screen. This can be okay for art threads but doesn't fit suggestions.

I didn't see a part about polls so I'll suggest one:
Try to make polls as concise and as effective as possible. They are, after all, tools for the developers which give the public opinion. That means, having a poll with 8 kinds of yes, 5 kinds of no and 2 kinds of maybe is hardly effective and just clutters your screen. This can be okay for art threads but doesn't fit suggestions.

Then again, virtually all polls I see these days are a form of this:

Do you like this idea?

• YES IT'S THE GREATEST IDEA EVAH!
  • Yes, it's great!
  • NO OMG GO DIE IN A CAVE!

That is NOT an exaggeration, I'm almost quoting here.

By the way, shouldn't the OP be updated to include,

Things that, while not explicitly against the forum rules, are not viable as a suggestion because the community will not hear of it(?):

Terra Blade; the not good enough of a sword so let's make one using it as material - A lot of people like this weapon, but a lot of people also like it to stay as it is, without being a material for another uber sword. Same goes for THB.
Beyond Hardmode; "insert noun here"mode - Overdone, and unlikely to be that much different unless some very very new things are introduced. Most of the time it will just be Hardmode with a couple different things and boosted stats.
Unreleased Weapons; OMG We Want This Now Red! - Most of the time this just turns out to be another simple cry of "make this happen now RED!" without anything to it at all.
Dopplegangers; Because we are our own worst enemy - One that is on par with Cthulhu, in how overly suggested it is(according to some people). It is also unlikely to have an enemy that will be coded to copy the player's exact ability.
Lifesteal; More Edward Cullens must be in the game - Superbly hard to find the balance between too OP, or just plain bland and uninteresting choice of a weapon.

I know some of them are covered in a more general rule(like balance for lifesteal), but they are mostly specific enough that a suggestion involving any of the ones listed will most likely not earn support, if not direct hating and negative feedbacks(within reason), even if they adhere to all the rules you've already put down.

I've noticed Hallow alts have become very popular, with Corruption alts starting to pop up more as well. I've been seeing some common mistakes with a lot of alternate biomes:

Reskins: If your biome is possible, or nearly possible, through texturepack, then your biome isn't unique enough to be an alternate. The idea becomes more of a texturepack description than an actual new idea for an alternate biome. While your biome may look different, it should also feel different, but work similarly.

Enemies: Of course, not every enemy must be completely unique, such as slimes, though it'd do you well to have a fancier slime than just another different colored one, like ice slimes. With your other enemies, they should be as unique as possible. Give us a reason to want this biome besides graphics!

Sprites: You do not need them, however it is strongly recommended. This goes for most suggestions, but most especially biome threads! We want to see what your biome looks like. I cannot stress how important sprites can be if you're trying to win over support. You do not need sprites for everything, just give enough so we can feel and see your biome, which is something that isn't as easily done by words alone.

Posting an incomplete idea: Again, for most threads but mostly biome threads, you should wait off until you have enough for your idea to be presentable. If there isn't enough to interest someone, they'll leave the thread and may never return, even if you add in more content. It's best to wait off until you have more to show. Don't rush it! "I was rushed, I had things to do, I didn't have the time!" are not good excuses! Just save your work and continue it later. It took me several hours over several days for my Confection, and I certainly did not do that all in one sitting!

And some bad habits by those commenting on biome threads:

Comparing to other suggestions: Biomes should be judged independently from others. Just because you like one more doesn't mean you can't support another! This is mainly for alternate Hallow ideas that are paired with the Crimson. Zoomo does not own the Crimson! A biome should not be beat down if the creator puts it up against Crimson, if you like the Cyber. Liking another alternate Hallow paired with the Crimson does not necessarily make you anti-Cyber. We're not even sure if alternate Hallows will ever be a thing, but if so, who says biomes will be locked together? It is very possible that if the devs implemented the Cyber, we could have Corruption/Cyber worlds. Soul eaters vs Soulless, right? If this new Hallow alt for the Crimson came out before the Cyber, would you bash on the Cyber just the same? I've seen "This is just a rip off of the cyber/contagion" before, as well as "There's the Cyber, so this idea is redundant." That's rude and helps no one. Suggestions are not official content, so don't treat them as such.

Simply saying you support: While support is greatly appreciated, it's also important to point out what you like/dislike and what could be improved on!

....yeah, that's all I got I think.

There are people that can write an extremely articulate thread, but can't sprite at all. I could be one of them, but I've never really dived into it. Not that I am saying I write very well, either.

I don't think people should heavily feel like they need to sprite. They should instead be aware and co-operate with current spriters that'll gladly help them out. Even at that stage, the person that thought of the initial idea would have to share a lot of credit. Not sure there's much issue with that, as they wouldn't really be making anything financially useful out of a suggestion.

Even at that stage, the person that thought of the initial idea would have to share a lot of credit. Not sure there's much issue with that, as they wouldn't really be making anything financially useful out of a suggestion.
I, for one, have no problem sharing credit with people who make sprites for my suggestions. Good artists deserve to be recognized.

Yeah, I was trying to say that people should be prepared to share credit. Because more than most predict can be like:

"hey, make sprites for me plz. I also like using abbreviations cuz I'm lazy"
"Sure thing "shows shiny sprites", there you go! I spent a sizeable amount of time for your benefit!"
"Oh nice, now :red: off".

Just made a condensed 10-point checklist based on your guide, for easy referencing or lazy readers.

Basic guidelines:
1) It needs to be practical enough to be implemented as content.
2) It should have some connection to Terraria as it exists now.
3) It must be balanced to a similar power as other items on the same tier/rarity.
4) Effort. The more time you spend thinking about a suggestion and its implications, the better.
5) It should be fun and imaginative. Try to come up with something fresh and original.
6) It's always a good idea to address some sort of problem or lacking.
Things to avoid:
- A wall of text. Use [Enter] or [Return] whenever you reach a new idea. Organize your thoughts intelligently.
- Mistaking rarity as a justification for power. It's okay in small degrees, but always refer back to tier balancing.
- Writing unintelligibly. Take time to review grammar and spelling. Laziness in writing is very unattractive.
- Generic or nondescript titles. People should be able to tell what a suggestion is about before even reading it.

I'll also like to say that the use of content dividers for large/multi segmented suggestions is very effective. They really improve readability and aesthetic

Here are the two most used ones (you'll notice these in all the official threads too)

kdcROYP.png

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kdcROYP.png[/IMG]

divider.png

Code:
[IMG] http://s26.postimg.org/6san3kae1/divider.png[/IMG]

Alternatively, you can make your own as seen in @Tobbvald 's renown Tobbvald's Tinkering

Actually it's only about the idea , people will only support the ideas they like . Even if the suggestion contains all of this elements it won't make a disliker of the idea to support it .

Actually it's only about the idea , people will only support the ideas they like . Even if the suggestion contains all of this elements it won't make a disliker of the idea to support it .
Yes, I know. These are the guidelines you should use to accept or reject an idea before it even gets out of your head, and all of this happens before you publish it.

I know that there is a minority of people who reject my ideas, no matter what they are. That is why I'm not using polls as a popularity reading anymore. Trying to win those people over is a waste of my time, especially when the rejection is no longer based on reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom