Other How to make suggestions people will support

Compare to other gears of the same tier. Balancing in a nutshell. Just tweak it up/down a bit, and you'd be good to go, normally. If you have something like unique set effects, projectiles and the like, imagine various situations(boss fights, exploring, events), and see how it would fare against those compared to existing items in your mind. Try to see all possible situations where it can be used.
Thanks. I'm working on making suggestions for loot for the Corruption to fix the gap. Now I can better figure out how to create a spear for the Corruption that is both different than the Rotted Fork and still works with spear mechanics.

1. It must be consistent with existing Terraria mechanics. A bit of programming knowledge makes it easier to envision how the suggestion might be added. Reference existing mechanics to explain how your suggestion will work. It helps a lot to play the game often!

Some good suggestions won't even require Redigit to type "public static void". Example.

2. It should be linked with existing items and concepts in Terraria. Most good suggestions make references to things that already exist there: NPCs, crafting materials, biomes. If your suggestion includes new weapons crafted from new materials obtained from new biomes and sold by new NPCs, it just won't be a good fit.

Of course, that doesn't mean you can throw together a crafting recipe with existing materials that make no sense together. It's okay to introduce a few new crafting ingredients if the situation calls for it, as long as they're done in a way consistent with existing crafting materials.

4. It must be clearly well-thought-out. People are more likely to support suggestions that the creator put a lot of effort and thought into. Avoid spelling errors, as they indicate that perhaps the suggestion was rushed. You may upload sprites or (neat) hand-drawn concept art. Some spriters may go ahead and provide sprites for suggestions they like without being asked.

Write intelligently. I use a sort of casual conversational tone while writing, but always make sure you're your grammar and usage is are correct. I do not condone spelling errors or lazy abbreviations. They do not impart a casual tone, but simply sound foolish. Trying to be too casual will lead some people to tell you that you don't need fingers anymore.

Use the title as a description. Writing a title that simply says "Cool stuff" or "This is a suggestion" is exasperating, and will most likely attract the wrong kind of attention. If your suggestion is worth viewing, then a description of its contents should be enough to grab people's interest.

Responding to feedback.
Some people might love your suggestion. Some people might not. But the good thing is that everyone will give a reason when they say "no support". If you understand your suggestion really well, you may be able to refute that reason. But people generally know what they're saying when they give negative constructive feedback. In that case, you should respond by suggesting changes to your suggestion that address the problem. This is how suggestions improve over time. Remember, the only way to respond to negative feedback is to talk about the suggestion itself!
I have done all of these things when I made my threads yet NONE of them have been particularly successful :(:confused:.

I have done all of these things when I made my threads yet NONE of them have been particularly successful :(:confused:.
No you have not :/
You need to think on a deeper level to truly understand how they should work. You should put yourself in the position of the viewer and judge your own threads.

The unfortunate reality of suggestions is that you can do everything right, and follow the good suggestion tips well and make your suggestion presentable very well with creative new concepts and great reasoning behind them and it can still not be very successful. I've spent up to Days and Weeks on Suggestions and they still don't get a lot of acknowledgement even though I've worked very hard on making them "good". All one can do is think carefully over concepts you believe could improve the game, create them as suggestions, analyze other people's suggestions to see what worked well and what didn't, and taking into account the Positive and Constructive Feedback on one's own suggestions to continue to improve your own current Suggestions and future ones.

It is a tough road, but don't give up! :)

The unfortunate reality of suggestions is that you can do everything right, and follow the good suggestion tips well and make your suggestion presentable very well with creative new concepts and great reasoning behind them and it can still not be very successful. I've spent up to Days and Weeks on Suggestions and they still don't get a lot of acknowledgement even though I've worked very hard on making them "good". All one can do is think carefully over concepts you believe could improve the game, create them as suggestions, analyze other people's suggestions to see what worked well and what didn't, and taking into account the Positive and Constructive Feedback on one's own suggestions to continue to improve your own current Suggestions and future ones.

It is a tough road, but don't give up! :)

How do you make an actual suggestion thread?

You pick the appropriate category that you think your idea falls under on the main suggestion page (NPC & Enemies/Items/Equipment), then go to that sub-section to start creating your thread which is done by clicking the "Post New Thread" button on the top right.

Thank you very much.

update it please, lunar boss is moon lord, and some peoples may suggestion stuff that extends endgame, like, better than post-moon lord.

Thanks, real helpful! :)
[doublepost=1462202211,1462202170][/doublepost]
update it please, lunar boss is moon lord, and some peoples may suggestion stuff that extends endgame, like, better than post-moon lord.
I love your personal Armour by the way, just saying!

Thanks, real helpful! :)
[doublepost=1462202211,1462202170][/doublepost]
I love your personal Armour by the way, just saying!
thanks!, it's recolor of Chlorophyte armor with helmet, as i am terrible on drawing armor sprites without have to use any vanilla armors for making those sprites.

Very well written. Everyone that wants to make a suggestion should read this. One thing though:
I recommend that you not go past Post-Plantera tier. We know nothing about the Lunar Boss yet. You may post concepts, but leave the numbers and balance to the developers, who will choose concepts they like.
You may want to update this a bit. Also there's some links that go to TO that don't work anymore.

Didn't help D: it only made me get more it need's more stuff votes
It could be that you're just not understanding what it means to find a fair balance. You have to think about things players actually want rather than things that you'd specifically want in the game.

Lunar. The most powerful equipent in the game. One must be very, very careful when designing anything meant to compete with Lunar equipment in terms of power. Anything within this tier should come from the Lunar events.
Tell this to the dev who made celebration...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom