Other How to make suggestions people will support

In hindsight, I'm actually amazed that this guide got stickied back when I first wrote it, because looking back, I do not like the quality of my writing at all, and I'm not sure I like my attitude, either. Perhaps the moderation team was pressured into stickying it, and for that I apologize.

So I've rewritten the guide to sound more approachable and less snobby, while leaving out none of the important information it used to contain. I will probably continue to update the guide over time; it's the least that you should expect from me since it's my duty to ensure that this guide remains relevant.

No trying to be a thorn in your side... but, isn't the PDA an accessory that turns into a non-accessory?
Yeah, it is. Though it also does its job from the inventory, so not much changes when it turns into the Cell Phone. It could be made non-equippable without changing its usage, so it’s kinda on the border of what people would call an accessory.

The intent was to discourage people from making accessories crafting ingredients for weapons, etc. This destroys their functionality. On the other hand, the Cell Phone preserves the functionality of the PDA, so it’s fine.

Yeah, it is. Though it also does its job from the inventory, so not much changes when it turns into the Cell Phone. It could be made non-equippable without changing its usage, so it’s kinda on the border of what people would call an accessory.

The intent was to discourage people from making accessories crafting ingredients for weapons, etc. This destroys their functionality. On the other hand, the Cell Phone preserves the functionality of the PDA, so it’s fine.
Cool :)

But it might be nice to remove the "Terraria NEVER uses accessories" part... If you want of course.

Excellent guide, both for how to write your own suggestions and how to discuss others'.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant with 'don't write rude things in polls', but if it wasn't what you were getting at, I think one thing you could potentially add is 'don't write self-deprecating polls.' Really, polls don't need to be clever or funny. In most cases, a yes/no/other will work, or a strong support/weak support/neutral/weak dislike/strong dislike. But silly/overenthusiastic options aren't a problem, whereas if I go to a suggestion and my options are 'I like it' or 'You're the worst person ever, you should feel disgusting for posting this', I can't vote on it. Really, such options are never appropriate and always extremely awkward, but they become even worse when your only options for a poll are 'support' or 'be a horrible person.' At worst, it's attention-seeking, and even if meant as a joke, it makes discourse/community feedback on the suggestion harder.

I don't know - I've seen a few of those lately.

if I go to a suggestion and my options are 'I like it' or 'You're the worst person ever, you should feel disgusting for posting this'
Objectively, that is a rude thing for a suggestion writer to write, and I can’t condone something like that being written in a poll. People would receive warning points for directing a statement like that towards another member, but directing such a statement towards yourself is really no better.

I’ll add a note about that in the main post.

-Game balance. Part of Terraria's appeal is the large variety of viable weapons and other equipment available to the player at each stage. Introducing new equipment that greatly outclasses everything else in its tier reduces the variety of equipment that the player is likely to use; rather than making the game better, this would make it worse. A few other things to keep in mind, though​
A LOT OF DEMAGOGUERY, SUBJECTIVITY AND POTATO LANGUAGE INCLUDED
It's been a 6 years, 2 major upgrades have been released, and what we got in the current endgame:
- 4 sets of armor, one for every class, just like in 1.1 era, when there was 3 classes (it's actually a single armor with different helmets), that mostly outclasses other armor (Solar armor, that already used to be powerful, got major buff in 1.4, and outclassed Beetle armor, definitely)
- OP gun for Ranger, SDMG, that eventually buffed in 1.4 because it seems it used to be a weak weapon lol, with no spread and which DPS is in one and a half bigger then second best gun in the game, Vortex Beater; Celebration MK2 (both of them are in same tier as Vortex Beater and Bow)
- Vortex Armor that duplicates Shroomite armor, but with bigger bonuses
- 20000 DPS Sword that can kill Munlord in 12 seconds (SDMG raw DPS is about 2000), probably the apotheosis for 1.4 update (same tier as Solar melee)
- Death beam of death for Mage, probably the apotheosis for 1.3 update (same tier as Nebula magic)
- UFO Mount (CCK) that provides infinite flight without losing mobility and doesn't occupies slot of accessory. It even frees one of the slots because you have no reason to wear a wings if you fighting in open space, especially against Celestial Towers and Moon Lord
And the most important: No locations and lack of events to use all this stuff: Dungeon, Frost/Harvest moon and Old One's army (even if it added in 1.3 era) are adjusted to 1.2 content, you'll just destroy everything and everyone, and nobody can't hurt you there, unless you playing on Master mode artificial difficulty. The only event that may be challengeing is a Celestial Towers event.
Sure, similar things have happened before 1.3 (Chain Gun that outclassed Tactical Shotgun, Beetle armor, Snowman cannon that outclasses literally every ranged weapon, Night's Edge that outclassed every melee in 1.0 era), but in 1.2 you actually have much wider opportunities to customize your character and equipment to choose (even Hallowed armor was someway viable and Shroomite armor have quite low bonuses without stealth, unlike Vortex, etc etc), and it wasn't necessary to add another tier of the game while they could adjust stuff after Cultist to 1.2 level: for example, Vortex should not be Shroomite armor version 2.0 (more like version 1.3), or SDMG shouldn't be changed at all (it used to have 35 damage and use time of 6, and it's fine because it has no spread). Most examples related to Ranger because it's my favorite guy
So it goes. This is my opinion about current state of endgame, and while things like Zenith, Celebration MK2 and Last Prism are still exist in it current state this rule doesn't have any weigth. It's highly subjective, it's fine if you disagree with that

It's been a 6 years, 2 major upgrades have been released, and what we got in the current endgame:
- 4 sets of armor, one for every class, just like in 1.1 era, when there was 3 classes (it's actually a single armor with different helmets), that mostly outclasses other armor (Solar armor, that already used to be powerful, got major buff in 1.4, and outclassed Beetle armor, definitely)
- OP gun for Ranger, SDMG, that eventually buffed in 1.4 because it seems it used to be a weak weapon lol, with no spread and which DPS is in one and a half bigger then second best gun in the game, Vortex Beater; Celebration MK2 (both of them are in same tier as Vortex Beater and Bow)
- 20000 DPS Sword that can kill Munlord in 12 seconds (SDMG raw DPS is about 2000), probably the apotheosis for 1.4 update (same tier as Solar melee)
- Death beam of death for Mage, probably the apotheosis for 1.3 update (same tier as Nebula magic)
- UFO Mount (CCK) that provides infinite flight without losing mobility and doesn't occupies slot of accessory. It even frees one of the slots because you have no reason to wear a wings if you fighting in open space, especially against Celestial Towers and Moon Lord
And the most important: No locations and lack of events to use all this stuff: Dungeon, Frost/Harvest moon and Old One's army (even if it added in 1.3 era) are adjusted to 1.2 content, you'll just destroy everything and everyone, and nobody can't hurt you there, unless you playing on Master mode artificial difficulty. The only event that may be challengeing is a Celestial Towers event.
Sure, similar things have happened before 1.3 (Chain Gun that outclassed Tactical Shotgun, Beetle armor, Snowman cannon that outclasses literally every ranged weapon, Night's Edge that outclassed every melee in 1.0 era), but in 1.2 you actually have much wider opportunities to customize your character and equipment to choose (even Hallowed armor was someway viable and Shroomite armor have quite low bonuses without stealth, unlike Vortex, etc etc), and it wasn't necessary to add another tier of the game while they could adjust stuff after Cultist to 1.2 level: for example, Vortex should not be Shroomite armor version 2.0 (more like version 1.3), or SDMG shouldn't be changed at all (it used to have 35 damage and use time of 6, and it's fine because it has no spread). Most examples related to Ranger because it's my favorite guy
So it goes. This is my opinion about current state of endgame, and while things like Zenith, Celebration MK2 and Last Prism are still exist in it current state this rule doesn't have any weigth. It's highly subjective, it's fine if you disagree with that
Outclassing things from previous tiers isn't the point, outclassing literally everything else including other classes at that stage is what's an issue. The Zenith is the biggest example of this.

Most of the things you mentioned are post-Moon Lord at which point game balance kind of goes out the window, because the game is already complete and the credits have already rolled. The drunken rampage of power you experience is basically your reward for beating the final boss.

Among other things you mentioned, Chain Gun outclasses Tactical Shotgun because making progress in the Frost Moon is more challenging than simply surviving in the post-Plantera dungeon. Same goes with Snowman Cannon, for that matter. That's simply a matter of making progress and getting stronger.

it wasn't necessary to add another tier of the game while they could adjust stuff after Cultist to 1.2 level
I actually agree with this. I enjoyed the massive equipment variety in 1.2 and I wasn't happy to be basically shoehorned into using the likes of phantasm and eruption. Regardless, that's the way it happened, and it's not the way I would have done it.

I would like to see the Icemourne reimplemented to the game as an early hardmode combined version of the Ice Blade and Frostbrand. Maybe it could do something like the Night's Edge but without being outclassed by most other weapons.
Icemourne.png

This thread isn't for making suggestions. It's for discussion on creating suggestions and ways to get support for them.

You'll want to create a thread in this section to make this a proper suggestion: Items

I would like to see the Icemourne reimplemented to the game as an early hardmode combined version of the Ice Blade and Frostbrand. Maybe it could do something like the Night's Edge but without being outclassed by most other weapons.
Icemourne.png
Im pretty sure it got removed due to copyright reasons.
Speaking of which, you should search before you post a thread so you can be sure your idea is not a duplicate. This is listed in the Rules and Guidelines, but I'll repeat it just to be sure. And even if it's not a complete duplicate, it is better to have at least two people discussing their thoughts on similar ideas than to keep them separate. Two heads are better than one.
What should you do if there's a suggestion without any details except you were going to make a suggestion with a lot of details.

Back
Top Bottom