PC How to maximize melee speed

I love using a speed build. It's hilarious to spam high speed projectiles. I haven't obtained the north pole or mushroom spear, but I'm really curious as to how much better they'd be with this ridiculous speed.

One thing I realized is that even though vampire knives have a drastically lowered DPS it still may be useful to get a high speed. I had to use the unicorn mount in order to see the vampire knives spin.

Another thing that's unaffected by the melee speed boosts seems to be the sparks of the butcher's chainsaw. I was hoping to use a pair of target dummies as a spark machine gun but even with a high boost nothing seemed to happen.

I love using a speed build. It's hilarious to spam high speed projectiles. I haven't obtained the north pole or mushroom spear, but I'm really curious as to how much better they'd be with this ridiculous speed.

One thing I realized is that even though vampire knives have a drastically lowered DPS it still may be useful to get a high speed. I had to use the unicorn mount in order to see the vampire knives spin.

Another thing that's unaffected by the melee speed boosts seems to be the sparks of the butcher's chainsaw. I was hoping to use a pair of target dummies as a spark machine gun but even with a high boost nothing seemed to happen.
it's indeed a lovely sight sometimes.

Too bad for the chainsaw though, but it kinda makes sense as the sparks are unrelated with the weapon itself.

I'm really loving the 1.3.4 update so far. not only have it introduced new armor sets, but every armor piece also has an unique stat increase, which is really nice for some armor combinations.

And thus, after a long time, a new Melee speed cap has been archieved:

Monk%27s_Bushy_Brow_Bald_Cap.png
Monk's Bushy Brow Bald Cap:
Increases Melee speed with 20% (Previously the Hallowed helmed had it with 10%)
Shinobi_Infiltrator%27s_Torso.png
Shinobi Infiltrator's Torso: Increases Melee speed with also 20% (Previously the Gi had the most with 10% as well)

Along with the Solar Flare Leggings (who still has a 15% increase), the melee speed increase of armor only is now 55%. This beats even the Beetle Scale Armor at it's maximum stack.

However, there's one thing to point out, since the melee speed can be even faster than a single frame can hold, it can even skip an entire swing. and thus, using the Fetith Baghnaks with a maximum setup will even give a lower DPS at some point.

Just a thing to remember, faster does not always makes it better.
But I always like to see the projectiles flying at the speed of sound, so I find it always fun to try out a maximum setting for this :)

And I've made a new video about this as well:
With a very attractive looking thumbnail that I may or may not update later

This guide has some really good info in it.

One thing I can't tell from the vids - the swords for sure are moving crazy fast, but if you are doing all/most of your damage from their projectile are the affects generated any faster?

Like the star wrath section, is it generating more wrath affects than no speed or the same? Or something between depending on the frames of the attack. Like default if the sword swings and generates every 30 frames and you get attack speedddown to 20 frames do you get wrath affect every 20 frames, every 40, or 30?

Last time I looked into it almosy every weapon I used had almost no damage benefit from melee speed. Fetid and the unique things it can do at 1-3 frames attack was the main reason to have a speed set. Some fun with pumpkin sword as well, but most others had no damage scaling off melee speed.

I think with pally hammer you get longer range and can throw a second one before the first returns, but you get no aps increase.

I haven't used possessed hatchet since the tweaks... Is it the same? I imagine it is the same longer range scaled off speed and second projectile generated at a fixed time independent of melee speed. No actual dmg increase from speed.

Then all the swords and spears with projectiles generate on the base attack speed not the modified.

Speed still niche or do more weapons benefit?

This guide has some really good info in it.
Thank you!
One thing I can't tell from the vids - the swords for sure are moving crazy fast, but if you are doing all/most of your damage from their projectile are the affects generated any faster?

Like the star wrath section, is it generating more wrath affects than no speed or the same? Or something between depending on the frames of the attack. Like default if the sword swings and generates every 30 frames and you get attack speedddown to 20 frames do you get wrath affect every 20 frames, every 40, or 30?
The sword itself might affect the DPS, but likely not the stars itself, as they'll only fall faster, and there don't seem to appear more regardless of speed.
Speed still niche or do more weapons benefit?
Swords will benefit from the speed to attack faster.
Spears, flails, drills and chainsaws will not have much visible effect of the melee speed.
In addition, mining speed and melee speed are unrelated.

Most, but not all, Melee projectiles will affect the projectile speed, which can give them a bigger range, but most weapons won't affect their DPS for that.
Last time I looked into it almosy every weapon I used had almost no damage benefit from melee speed. Fetid and the unique things it can do at 1-3 frames attack was the main reason to have a speed set. Some fun with pumpkin sword as well, but most others had no damage scaling off melee speed.

I think with pally hammer you get longer range and can throw a second one before the first returns, but you get no dps increase.

I haven't used possessed hatchet since the tweaks... Is it the same? I imagine it is the same longer range scaled off speed and second projectile generated at a fixed time independent of melee speed. No actual dmg increase from speed.

Then all the swords and spears with projectiles generate on the base attack speed not the modified.
Like I've said earlier, and have also told in the latest video, (Although I havn't stated that in the main post yet):

This thread is just about maximising your melee speed, but having more speed doesn't mean having more dps.
It's certainely not a build to use for big combat, But I see it more as a fun past-time/endgame build because I find it fun to see the weapons projectiles flying everywhere around at high speed.

The broken images from the wiki has been fixed so far. Hopefully that won't happen anytime again.

Might actually want to revisit this guide though, There's not really a necessarity to use the Baghnakhs for this, especially now that it gets a guide thread of it's own.

yo-yos get their range increased as well, for some reason.
I havn't included Yoyo's because some of them like the Terrarian) are freaking out for some reason if the melee speed is too high.

But I'll probably revamp the thread about weapons a bit. Choosing a certain weapon is not really neccessary to have fun with this build.

Updated this thread with the 1.4 changes

Some notable changes:
- Added beserkers glove (+12%)
- Removed Celestial Stone (-10%) and mentioned that these items no longer stack.
- Replaced well fed tier 1 with well fed tier 3. (+5%)
- Werewolf is now a part of the buff section rather than the accessoire section.
- Added mention that Master Mode allows another violent prefix (+4%) to your build, but that's the only benefit, as currently, there are only 6 accessoires that increases melee speed.
- Removed the 'recommended weapon' section entirely, just go wild and use any melee weapon instead. :)

What about the buffs that you get from whips? Snapthorn, Durendal and Dark Harvest all give you a buff on hit that increases attack speed even more, though I doubt it would be practical for any weapons other than those three.

What about the buffs that you get from whips? Snapthorn, Durendal and Dark Harvest all give you a buff on hit that increases attack speed even more, though I doubt it would be practical for any weapons other than those three.
Although rather impractical for other weapons, I think it would be worth mentioning them.

Sadly, the wiki doesn't mention yet how much attack speed is increased, but the difference is quite notable.
Funny thing, because these whips have all three a different buff icon, it's possible for these effects to stack, but for that one second, it's not really worth trying it.

Last edited:
So, went checking ahead and see if things were changed through 1.4.4

Funny enough, the build itself remains unchanged, I only had to update the Fire Gauntlet, as it's speed is now the same as the Mechanical Glove since 1.4.1

What DID change though is the Terra Blade, which shoots now more projectiles the faster it swings, and it's glorious to look at (Although the green color broke gifcam, and it's appearantly too big to show on preview too)
View attachment Terra blade madness.gif

I've updated the thread too while at it :)

Back
Top Bottom