PC How to maximize melee speed

ppowersteef

Paladin
You know some items increase your melee speed, but how fast can it actually go?
This guide will help you to increase your melee speed to the max.

Topical for version: 1.4.4.6

-----Weapon-----
Formerly just a build for fun, but now it actually has a decent use thanks to one weapon rework.
The only weapon that becomes actually viable through melee speed: The Terra Blade

Just went checking ahead, the 'Light' prefix adds more speed than 'Legendary' does.
1666548557347.png
1666548535742.png

The Terra Blade might be a prime example, but feel free to try it out on any other melee weapon!

-----armor-----
Monk%27s_Bushy_Brow_Bald_Cap.png
Shinobi_Infiltrator%27s_Torso.png
Solar_Flare_Leggings.png
Monk's Bushy Brow Bald Cap, Shinobi Infiltrator's Torso and Solar Flare Leggings.
This increase your Melee speed to 20% + 20% + 15%. This beats even the Beetle armor at maximum stacks.

-----Accessoires-----
During Expert mode, you can have 6 accessoires, so you can equip all of those below.
But because there are only 6 accessoires available, the only benefit you have on Master Mode is the 4% prefix from the extra accessoire.

Celestial_Shell.png
Celestial Shell, adds 10% and werewolf buff at night
Feral_Claws.png
Feral Claws, adds 12% and autoswing (in case you don't turn it on by default)
Power_Glove.png
Power Glove, adds 12%
Fire_Gauntlet.png
Fire Gauntlet, adds another 12% and extra melee damage
Mechanical_Glove.png
Mechanical Glove, adds another 12% and once again, extra melee damage
1590780858313.png
Beserkers Glove, adds yet another 12% and extra defence

(Man, this build looks so simplelistic nowadays, look how far we have come)

Not Recommended:
1590781092474.png
1590781101764.png
Celestial_Stone.png
As of 1.4, the
Sun Stone, Moon Stone, Celestial Stone and Celestial Shell does no longer stack with each other. In that case, the best to go is the Celestial Shell.

-----Prefix-----
Weapon:

Light, the Light prefix makes your sword 15% faster, even more than the legendary prefix.
The Light prefix can differ between 12% and 18%, depending on weapon. this may mean that the light prefix may not incease it more than the Legendary prefix does.
Accessoire:
Violent, adds 4% melee speed each, with 5 accessoires you've a whopping +20%, and with 7 in Master Mode even +28%

-----buffs-----
1590781249815.png
Werewolf, adds 5% melee speed during the night.
1590781139105.png
Exquisitely Stuffed, adds +10% melee speed. and several other stats increase. duration depens on the food consumed.
Tipsy.png
typsy, adds +10% melee speed. At the small cost of 2 defence. for 2-4 minutes.

Not counting diminishing returns, this adds up to 176% melee speed in total!
While not the most recommended in a DPS build, you can still do some crazy things with it.

Here are some Videos:
(Credit to ProGamer802)

Terra Blade at its slowest, and fastest (except beetle armor):

Destroyer speedkill 1.2.4.1 with Shroomite Digging Claws:

And in 1.3 with Fetith baghnakhs

And a gif in 1.3 with hallowed armor:
kE9K1hG.gif

Last edited:
You forgot about cobalt armor, second best melee haste set in the game.
i'm not going to count cobalt if theres hallowed.

shadow armor is best melee speed armor in pre-hardmode
hallowed armor is best melee speed armor without been in combat
beetle scale mail armor is best melee speed armor while in combat

Just a few things:
  • Chlorophyte Saber needs to be added to the list. That thing swings just as fast as the Terra Blade with maxed speed.
  • Decent Boomerangs have a reach of about 45-60 blocks. Since the Paladin's Hammer can be reused before physically returning to your hand, this extra range is super effective.
  • The Christmas Tree Sword has unbelievable range and accuracy with these bonuses. You can't even tell that it's affected by gravity until you hear the distant crashing of an ornament on the ground far away.
Also:
Accessoire . . . Accessoires
Those are supposed to say "Accessory" and "Accessories." ;)

Last edited:
shroomite digging claw is the best griefing tool in multiplayer because dynamite and explosive usually is banned in most server

Last edited:
OP updated to 1.3, including a new gif:
kE9K1hG.gif
Pretty insane eh?
This is not even the max, because beetles don't kick in when attacking the dummy (probably to prevent building up)
so I did this with hallowed instead.

So...I tried the max with the destroyer once again, at the same place too.
...then I forgot Expert mode and it's extra accessory slot, ah well, that doesn't have safe targets to test with anyway...

Woohoo, Fetid Baghnakhs!
I've managed to reforge them to Light before, but it doesn't actually offer a better increase than Legendary on Fetid Baghnakhs.
I also tried max speed (well, I don't think it was quite max) Fetid Baghnakhs back when Beetle Scale Mail activated on Training Dummies, and I got 9k+ DPS.

Woohoo, Fetid Baghnakhs!
I've managed to reforge them to Light before, but it doesn't actually offer a better increase than Legendary on Fetid Baghnakhs.
I also tried max speed (well, I don't think it was quite max) Fetid Baghnakhs back when Beetle Scale Mail activated on Training Dummies, and I got 9k+ DPS.
Thanks for pointing out that the speed modifiers for that weapon are the same, save a lot of platinum coins.

(What does the meter say about it's DPS?
It''s over ninethousaaaand!)

I've done a bit research if it's possible to beat the Hallowed Armor with the pernament stats, I came with this combination:
Hallowed_Mask.png
+ 10%
Gi.png
+10%
Solar_Flare_Leggings.png
+15%

That's 35% compared with hallowed's 29%, So I've updated the thread with this fact.

Also, a gif that the Terra Blade can pierce blocks with enough Melee speed (in an Expert world for the extra accessoire slot)
Wall piercer.gif

gifcam can't record all the frames, it's going too fast for that.

So this means, your sword can up to 148% extra melee speed, that's more than twice as fast!

The maxium should be 152% with six modifier.

NOTE: exact stats are unsure, because a higher speed means lower use time.
so the % are not directly calculated.
Outdated, will update it later.

Asked Yoraiz0r, the answer is like this:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?profile-posts/167557/

modified usetime/(1+melee speed %), then, round down.

So, for a legendary Fetid Baghnakhs, 101% melee speed is enough, any more increasing do nothing.(also, from 51% to 100% do the same thing).
But for a normal one, you'll need 134%.

For swords and shortswords, it does the same. So, this means the melee speed is highly inconstant for the reducing of use time.

Also, the melee speed can increase the velocity of the project and the range of some weapons, like the Death Sickle and Paladin's Hammer, not so useful compared to use time, but even point counts.

i'm not going to count cobalt if theres hallowed.

Cobalt is still useful when fighting the destoryer.

Edit: some example about the mechanism:

1. Legendary Fetid Baghnakhs: 6 use time(the use time is equial to the base use time X (1-speed modifier) and then round half up, so its base use time is 7, the modifier increase the speed by 10%, then the use time is reduced by 0.7, after rounding, it become 6.).
at 1% melee speed: use time=6/(1+0.01)=5.94, round down, 5(so 1% melee speed is useful for most melee weapons).
at 50% melee speed: use time=6/(1+0.5)=4, so use time is 4.
at 51% melee speed: use time=6/(1+0.51)=3.97, round down, 3, so use time is 3.
at 101% melee speed: use time=6/(1+1.01)=2.99, round down, 2, so use time is 2.
Further incresing of melee speed has no use.
2. Terra Blade: 15 use time:
at 67% melee speed: use time=15/(1+0.67)=8.98, round down, 8.
at 151% melee speed: use time=15/(1+1.51)=5.98, round down, 5(this is the fastest speed of a normal terra blade)

For the velocity of the project, some of my test seems like this:
1.the modifier does not affect the velocity, a Light Death Sickle and a Sluggish one have the same velocity.
2. the velocity is simply equial to the base velocity X (1+melee speed) and does not round.(so the poject for terra blade is twice as fast at 100% melee speed).
3. the melee speed affect almost all melee weapons, swords have a faster sword beam, flails and boomerangs thrown faster, spears thrust faster and so on.
but a few weapons seems not affected:
the seed shot by the Flower Pow.
Arkhalis
Drills.
4.It also increase some weapon's range. The paladin's hammer thrown twice as far at 100% melee speed, the beam from Death Sickle shot twice as far at 100% melee speed.
Spear have a few tiles further range, and the solar eruption also get a 3 tile range increasing at 100% melee speed.

Last edited:
The maxium should be 152% with six modifier.
That stat hasn't been changed since 1.3, hence why it's striked through
Asked Yoraz0r, the answer is like this:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?profile-posts/167557/

modified usetime/(1+melee speed %), then, round down.

So, for a legendary Fetid Baghnakhs, 101% melee speed is enough, any more increasing do nothing.(also, from 51% to 100% do the same thing).
But for a normal one, you'll need 134%.

For swords and shortswords, it does the same. So, this means the melee speed is highly inconstant for the reducing of use time.

Also, the melee speed can increase the velocity of the project and the range of some weapons, like the Death Sickle and Paladin's Hammer, not so useful compared to use time, but even point counts.
Well this is interesting, may update the thread about it.

Cobalt is still useful when fighting the destoryer.
Well, this thread had it's main focus for endgame players, I may do this for progress (having pre-hardmode and pre-mech in mind)

Back
Top Bottom