PS4 How To Play Online?

NowOrNeverPros

Terrarian
I've had Terraria for a very long time on PC, not so long on console. Prior to the update inviting was an option for multiplayer, now there is a dedicated multiplayer tab. When me and my friends try to play we cannot connect because the menu disappears into thin air. After clicking "join" it pulls up empty rows and loads for a few seconds, then it all disappears to show the background of the menu, leaving me unable to click to join anything at all. The same is true when I host and friends try to join, so I don't know if we are doing something wrong, or if there still is an invite option, however, the join option leads to a dead end for me and my friends so is this a bug or am I just doing something wrong?

I've had Terraria for a very long time on PC, not so long on console. Prior to the update inviting was an option for multiplayer, now there is a dedicated multiplayer tab. When me and my friends try to play we cannot connect because the menu disappears into thin air. After clicking "join" it pulls up empty rows and loads for a few seconds, then it all disappears to show the background of the menu, leaving me unable to click to join anything at all. The same is true when I host and friends try to join, so I don't know if we are doing something wrong, or if there still is an invite option, however, the join option leads to a dead end for me and my friends so is this a bug or am I just doing something wrong?
Hi @NowOrNeverPros, I’m not sure what the solution is. Seems like one of you should do Host & Play, and your friends would then do Join.

Before playing online multiplayer I strongly suggest backing up your character and world data onto a usb.

If it’s still not working, send through a bug report with as much detail as possible so the issue can be noted and investigated here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Hi @NowOrNeverPros, I’m not sure what the solution is. Seems like one of you should do Host & Play, and your friends would then do Join.

Before playing online multiplayer I strongly suggest backing up your character and world data onto a usb.

If it’s still not working, send through a bug report with as much detail as possible so the issue can be noted and investigated here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Unfortunately that's what we had been doing, one person hosted while others attempted to join, all the same issue even when we had rotated who was host and whatnot. I only play Terraria for the online with friends so this is a bummer, I'll make a bug report as suggested but I have a feeling there won't be a fix until a much later date.

Me and the wife have been having the exact same issue today, I don't even see an invite option anymore in the game so we are entirely confused as to how she joins the world i created.

I created a map in multiplayer i have since been scratching my head trying to figure out how to invite her she then clicked on "join" only to be greeted by a list on "...." that then dissapeared
[doublepost=1513454676,1513454334][/doublepost]
Me and the wife have been having the exact same issue today, I don't even see an invite option anymore in the game so we are entirely confused as to how she joins the world i created.

I created a map in multiplayer i have since been scratching my head trying to figure out how to invite her she then clicked on "join" only to be greeted by a list on "...." that then dissapeared

Update i went into the menu inventory clicked on r1 clicked on played and it let me invite from there very counter intuitive but success

[doublepost=1513454676,1513454334][/doublepost]

Update i went into the menu inventory clicked on r1 clicked on played and it let me invite from there very counter intuitive but success

Same issue! Thank you for the response, I will try what you said immediately!

Wow this issue still hasnt been fixed? Wtf is going on over at the devs office?! There shouldn't be any exuse why its the beginning of March 2018 and the bug is still not fixed

I just stumbled into this thread because of my friend and me, couldn't join each other worlds earlier. But I found a different solution, another workaround. So basically, 1st player will "Host & Play" the world. Once the 1st player is in, the 2nd player (Make sure he/she is in the game) will press & hold the PS Button, this will open up the PS menu on the left. Afterwards, hover over Terraria, then you should see, on the right, players who are playing the game and Other Sessions. 2nd Player needs to click the 1st player Psn account and then hit Join his/her session. This will send the 2nd player to the Character selection screen. Finally, once the 2nd player selects its character, he/she will see a loading screen, then your in with your friend/s.

Quickstep by step:
1. Player 1 hosts the game "Host & Play" and Player 2 starts the game.
2. Player 2 presses & Hold PS Button.
3. Player 2 selects Terraria on the left PS4 pop-up menu.
4. Player 2 selects the Player 1 and Joins Player 1 in Terraria.
5. Player 2 selects Character and Done your in.

Rinse and repeat the steps for any additional players who want to join the Host.

Last edited:
Archerfangs THEY ARE TRYING TO DO MULTIPLAYER NOT SINGLE IDIOT
@kubeks, as a new member you may not realize that calling another member an "idiot" isn't going to be tolerated here. We have rules here, and we do enforce them. I encourage you to read them over: Important - Terrarian Community Rules & Culture - PLEASE READ

For your issue, please realize first that you are responding to an older post so there may be things that have changed since then. Are you and your friend playing on PS4 and do you both have PS Plus? What is the error that you get when trying to join your friend's world? Can he join your world?

@kubeks, as a new member you may not realize that calling another member an "idiot" isn't going to be tolerated here. We have rules here, and we do enforce them. I encourage you to read them over: Important - Terrarian Community Rules & Culture - PLEASE READ

For your issue, please realize first that you are responding to an older post so there may be things that have changed since then. Are you and your friend playing on PS4 and do you both have PS Plus? What is the error that you get when trying to join your friend's world? Can he join your world?
I'm getting the same issue and it's June now. Anytime you click on Multiplayer, you can click your character you want to play as. But after that, it just shows a list of options that are all just dots. And it only shows for a few seconds before the list entirely disappears. Even tried waiting half an hour and nothing changed.

I'm getting the same issue and it's June now. Anytime you click on Multiplayer, you can click your character you want to play as. But after that, it just shows a list of options that are all just dots. And it only shows for a few seconds before the list entirely disappears. Even tried waiting half an hour and nothing changed.
Hi @Resonant-Blades, are you trying to play multiplayer with a specific friend?

Not really. Just wanted to look for anyone to play with since I've got no one to play it with.
Ahh, that may be the problem. There are no public multiplayer servers for Terraria on console, you are to be inviting a friend to play multiplayer.

Hi guys i just popped back to say that its been 3 years people are still liking and commenting on this vid i made. Its coming up for 50k views i did it off the cuff thinking the ui would be addressed and sorted after this being a problem since the change back in 2017. I just feel bad for the players looking at my shoddy vid trying to work out how to play the game with their friends

Back
Top Bottom