How to remove the dark area / Fog of war when playing the game?

maxdrift

Terrarian
Hello, is there anyway to remove the dark area when playing the game? it has been a few years and now am finally back in terraria but i wish to know whether there are option for those.

The light pet is best because some of them (wisp in a bottle) can be moved a distance from the player…but any light underground will show an area better.

The light pet is best because some of them (wisp in a bottle) can be moved a distance from the player…but any light underground will show an area better.
is there anyway to instanly lit up the whole screen without us having to explore or put lights ?

SMH…I think if you use TEdit to open up your map it will do that for you when you re-save it. But that is PC only. It’s been a while since I used it, and now I play on Switch.

Edit: A weapon like the…solar eruption works quite well too. I’m sure there are other distance weapons that will help as well.

Last edited:
SMH…I think if you use TEdit to open up your map it will do that for you when you re-save it. But that is PC only. It’s been a while since I used it, and now I play on Switch.

Edit: A weapon like the…solar eruption works quite well too. I’m sure there are other distance weapons that will help as well.
1679974218826.png

Does it lit up all the dark areas?

The dark areas shown in this screenshot are due to a lack of light, as should be obvious from the effect the torches have on it.

Options>Controls>Keybindings. Scroll down to the "map controls" part of this menu and set the "Toggle map style" and "zoom in" buttons to whatever you like, then once you're ingame, use these keybindings to switch the minimap into overlay mode and zoom it all the way in. It's not a perfect solution but any area that's ever been illuminated will permanently become lit up this way. You can use the Clentaminator, a hardmode item obtainable once you've defeated a mechanical boss, to illuminate your surroundings and make this overlay permanently display the area too.

I will warn you though, enemies will not become visible just because the overlay is showing a certain area, so you may not want to keep it on the entire time.
I used clentaminator to illuminate my surroundings, you can see it's fainter than the area which had "actual" light
Before:
1679976985227.png

After:
1679976954849.png

It's not a perfect solution, but it might be what you're looking for

Last edited:
Like @CEO-Chair said, the way Terraria reveals it’s map by showing only lit areas is very intentional and an important part of underground exploration. For now just light up your path with torches and glowsticks. Later on you’ll get more convenient ways of lighting your path like the Mining Helemet, Shine Potions, Light Pets, Weapons that produce light, and the Clentaminator. You could also do what @Omega Dapling suggested or use a mod.

Like @CEO-Chair said, the way Terraria reveals it’s map by showing only lit areas is very intentional and an important part of underground exploration. For now just light up your path with torches and glowsticks. Later on you’ll get more convenient ways of lighting your path like the Mining Helemet, Shine Potions, Light Pets, Weapons that produce light, and the Clentaminator. You could also do what @Omega Dapling suggested or use a mod.
what mod that lights up the whole screen?

You cannot look into walls IRL, so the game won't let you either. Playing with a mod which does illuminate all tiles at all times is not a pleasant experience.

Darkness is a function in terraria
If you want it to be removed, then the game will be too easy. Use cheatsheet to light the screen up or a similar tool.

Darkness is a function in terraria
If you want it to be removed, then the game will be too easy. Use cheatsheet to light the screen up or a similar tool.
I won't lie I don't really see what difficulty darkness adds to the game when hunter potions, spelunker potions, and dangersense potions basically invalidate it.

I won't lie I don't really see what difficulty darkness adds to the game when hunter potions, spelunker potions, and dangersense potions basically invalidate it.
I think it’s less about adding difficulty and more about having engaging exploration. For example, it’s much more exciting to stumble across a Life Crystal while caving compared to seeing it on your mini map and then heading over to it. Of course, spelunker potions also invalidate some of that experience for convenience.

Back
Top Bottom