Texture Pack hq2x and other Image filter packs

i will be updating it when 1.4 is released, if my free time is permitting of course.
the downloads for other packs are ran through the filters as well. these were added at users' request.
also the calamity pack download has been updated to the latest version for those who may have been using any of those.
That's awesome to see the calamity pack all smoothed out! You are doing a nice job with this pack mate!

Hello Quine!

Would you mind terribly to apply this filter to Thorium?
i can't seem to find a way make texture packs for mods work, if you have any knowledge in that area then i'd be more than happy to make one for thorium. all my attempts seem to fall flat as tmodloader won't load them.

i can't seem to find a way make texture packs for mods work, if you have any knowledge in that area then i'd be more than happy to make one for thorium. all my attempts seem to fall flat as tmodloader won't load them.
Yeah, as far as I know tModLoader currently doesn't have any sort of support for replacing sprites inside of mods. I am working on something that will eventually be able to do that, but it's not really done yet.
For now, one way to do this, is by extracting the mod using tModLoader's built-in extractor, modifying the sprites, and then repacking the whole thing. Unfortunately I ran into some annoying complications, so things got a bit convoluted... Basically, Thorium is a little bit broken, it has a bunch of invalid TileObjectData entries, so if you rebuild it using the latest tModLoader 0.11 it won't work. However, if you build the mod in 0.10, tModLoader 0.11 will ignore these errors.
So, anyway, the point is I got Thorium converted using hq2x, here is the download: Thoriumhq2x.zip
And if anyone wants to do this again, here is a rundown of the whole process:
  • Get mod from mod browser, or anywhere else
  • In tModLoader, open the mods menu, click "?" next to mod, and select "extract" at the bottom
  • Go to "Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader"
  • Copy the folder matching the mod's name from the "Mod Reader" directory to "Mod Sources"
  • (If "Mod Sources" doesn't exist, open tModLoader and click "enable developer mode" in bottom right)
  • Open the folder you just moved
  • Add these lines to "build.txt":
  • Code:
    noCompile = true
    buildIgnore = *.bak
  • (Second line is only really necessary, if you are using my Python convention method)
  • Convert the textures using this: A quick and dirty script for hq2x-ifying tMoadLoader mods
  • (Or any other means necessary)
  • Download tModLoader 0.10 and open it (yes, this is important)
  • Go to the "Mod Sources" menu and build your mod
  • Revert to tModLoader 0.11, let it upgrade the mod file on startup
  • Fully working .tmod file should be in "Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader/Mods"

Yeah, as far as I know tModLoader currently doesn't have any sort of support for replacing sprites inside of mods. I am working on something that will eventually be able to do that, but it's not really done yet.
For now, one way to do this, is by extracting the mod using tModLoader's built-in extractor, modifying the sprites, and then repacking the whole thing. Unfortunately I ran into some annoying complications, so things got a bit convoluted... Basically, Thorium is a little bit broken, it has a bunch of invalid TileObjectData entries, so if you rebuild it using the latest tModLoader 0.11 it won't work. However, if you build the mod in 0.10, tModLoader 0.11 will ignore these errors.
So, anyway, the point is I got Thorium converted using hq2x, here is the download: Thoriumhq2x.zip
And if anyone wants to do this again, here is a rundown of the whole process:
very interesting DRKV, i wasn't aware one could rebuild mods that way. python may be worth looking into as a replacement for the current methods used as well. thank you very much for sharing this.

very interesting DRKV, i wasn't aware one could rebuild mods that way. python may be worth looking into as a replacement for the current methods used as well. thank you very much for sharing this.
Well, the things is Python is kinda slow. It's not really meant for the sort of hard core number crunching you need for these resize by rule algorithms. Though, it would probably still be faster than the current method. The only algorithm I actually found a Python implementation for was hq2x. For the others you'd have to write a native hook. Or implement them yourself, but that would be kinda painful...
I was also thinking about doing the conversion in-game by hijacking the graphics device and using an HLSL shader to scale to sprites onto a render target. I even found some shaders that could be adapted to do this: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders This would probably be pretty fast, cause the textures are already loaded and graphics cards are generally pretty good at doing these sort of things.
An easier approach would be to just do the whole conversion in C++.

Wow, now that spiced it up DRKV! Thank you! And Quine guess what? While running the thorium2x with your pack it seems now the default player sprites and all accessories have the filter applied to them. Remember me asking along time ago? Woop, this is sick!

I was wondering if there was a version of this texture pack for Realistic Weapons and Tools by Nioffe. I think the sprites that Nioffe's pack uses are better than the default sprites, but they don't really fit in with this pack's Terraria look. I absolutely love this texture pack because it's a breath of fresh air. I've been looking at the default sprites for years and though they're great, the softness of this pack is relaxing for my eyes, so will there ever be a version of this pack with Nioffe's pack supported? Thank you!

"Texture packs require a pack.json file; otherwise, it will be not be recognized by the game. It may optionally include an icon.png file for display in the Texture Packs menu. A proper pack.json file will look like the following:
{
"Name": "Pack Name",
"Author": "Author",
"Description": "Place a one-line brief description of your pack here",
"Version": {
"major": 1,
"minor": 0
}
}

Packs should follow the same format as your game directory's content folder, which is Content/Images. The final pack should look like this:
  • Pack.zip
    • icon.png (optional)
    • pack.json
    • Content
      • Images
        • Acc_Back_1.png (for example)
Texture pack files are saved as .zip files with no password."

Newly edit from:

had all this figured out at launch lol. sorry that i couldn't get to it faster, i was at work (i do graveyard shifts unfortunately)
all packs have been updated now.
on another note, this pack here uses xBR for it's "HD" look. should i discontinue my xBR version? opinions are needed in that regard.
thank you, enjoy!

small update: forgot the armor and accessory folders, whoops! sorry to double post, but felt it was important enough to do so. main downloads should be updated with em now. i'll update other packs when possible.

wdoAI6p.jpg

Water doesn't look right, see the lines, they kinda flash too as the waves move. This is HQ2x

Back
Top Bottom