Game Mechanics Hybrid-class weapons

Bellatrix

Terrarian
It feels like there's a lot of weapons that rarely get a chance to shine, and are fairly vague in what class they belong to.
So, what if certain weapons could belong to hybrid classes?
By belonging to a hybrid class, a weapon is able to benefit from damage/crit buffs for two different classes, as well as proc effects related to those damage classes.
That way, even if a weapon is rarely worthwhile for its original class, it might be viable as an exotic pick for another class.

e.g. Death Sickle is rarely gonna get a chance to shine for melee players because you'll have True Night's Edge first, and you may very well have everything you need for Terra Blade after the first eclipse where Death Sickle can drop.
But if Death Sickle could benefit from magic damage buffs as well, then it might at least be picked by magic players looking for a melee sidearm.

Here's some examples of weapons that would make sense to make hybrid class, both thematically and for balance:

Magical Melee:
Sickles, Magic Dagger, various projectile swords (e.g. Beam Sword, Star Wrath)

Ranged Melee
All of the launchers and boomerangs, and any throwing knives or javelins

Magical Ranged:
Most of the magic guns

How about

Melee plus summoner:
Solar eruption, flying knife

Hunter(ranger plus summoner):
Idk… dedaleus stormbow?

Mage plus summoner:
The magic missle and other controllable magic weapons.

This would be a great way to give summoners more weapon variety without adding any new content, just give a bunch of underused weapon types (like flails, boomerangs, jousting lances) summon damage. Although there's that issue with summoners and crits and adding an entirely new mechanic like this could take more work than just adding more items.

Also they could make a few weapons benefit from all damage types, like the Zenith. That way all builds gets their own Zenith! Except it's just the Zenith that already exists and not something new and exciting.

But I have an even better idea: remove damage types from the game. That would solve all problems.

How about

Melee plus summoner:
Solar eruption, flying knife

Hunter(ranger plus summoner):
Idk… dedaleus stormbow?

Mage plus summoner:
The magic missle and other controllable magic weapons.
Oooh, I like this!
I skipped over summoner because I didn't think a summoner hybrid weapon would ever make sense, but I agree with all of these.

Time to do trio hybrids!

Adventurer(Melee, ranger, magic):
gunlance. From monster hunter games

Ranger magic and summoner:
Deadalius stormbow. Definitely

Melee, magic, and summoner:
Terraprisma… obviously

Melee, ranger and summoner:
Um… boomerang summon?

Crimson Rod could be Mage/Summoner. I think Fargo's Mod had a toggle where you could switch between damage types on the crimson rod specifically with a right click but it's been forever since I played modded

For the sake of perspective, I often like to analyze what we already have available against newer suggestions.
Though I agree, this is kind of a neat idea, most players who specialize in Hybrid Builds [like myself] already use many of the niche Weapons/ Mechanics in the game, it's just not a very popular method of play, though I have noticed some growth in popularity with each newer update.

For example:
  • Many of the newer updates to Buff Stations [lasting until death], encourage players to utilize more off-brand Weapon-Types, where synergy is oftentimes more important than overall, raw DPS (i.e. Knockback, Status Effects).
  • The increase to possible Buff Slots also encourages players to use more Potion-Types, where before it was more important to "Specialize", in most cases.
  • ...and let's not forget about Loadouts, Sentries [War Table] and "Mage Sentries" (Crimson/ Nimbus Rod, Clinger Staff).
The other thing to consider is Class Emblems and Fused Emblems (Avenger Emblem), which have been a thing since 1.3.5. Depending on how you want to diversify your Damage Output, there's really no hard limit to what you can do anymore, especially in 1.4.4.9.
  • Crystal Assassin's Set is a really good option, really getting the most out of Emblem stacking IMHO.
  • Obviously the DD2 Sets are really useful for Summoner-Hybrids, especially benefiting from the buff to Buff Stations and Minions.
  • ...and actually, now that I think about it, the Buff to Sentries is just an overall Buff to Summoner Class across the board, Apprentice Scarf [tier change], Bewitching Table, War Table.
Certainly a cool idea, but not in-the-least necessary IMHO. 🧐☕

I agree with the amount of necessity. Multiclassing is already a fun and popular part of the game. But making certain weapons deal multiple damage types only furthers its ability. So it would be a fun change.

Back
Top Bottom