I am still missing mini-map data after being an idiot with "upload to cloud" button, rest of the world is fine

This is a copy and paste of a previous thread I made about this issue last month after I tried the method recommended. I finally got to try the singular tip I got to try and fix it which didn't work, because I am currently without wifi and have to use my phone's personal hotspot which has a download speed of 100kb/second, which would give you a lot of free time to clear out a massive amount of stone etc in Terraria......IF I HAD MY PROPER MAP DATA. /end rant

My actual problem

First of all I have to say, I was a total idiot with what I did and in my super tired state I basically treated the "upload/remove from cloud" button like a light switch that I didn't fully understand and in the process I lost all mini-map data for my character in my main world, so I deserve all the "you shouldn't play with what you don't understand" comments.

Actual issue:
Recently I began clearing out large parts of the jungle biome and decided to frequently save and close after each decent amount of clearing. Then before I called it a night I decided something like "hey, I should make a manual backup now, after all of this, the world, and my character" and took them off the cloud, turned it on again in the span of only a few seconds like an idiot. As a result....somehow, my minimap data for the world is gone. HOWEVER from what I can tell, via the contents of my chests by world spawn, all of my very important world progress/jungle clearing etc has been saved, but not the mini-map data for my character. What I have tried/done since this:

1. I have found my "old" world and player data in the recycle bin. This also includes a .map file which I can GUESS is the mini-map data I'm looking for/missing I am not 100% sure. I have since moved that data into a separate/non-recycle bin folder. This bin is called "things found in recycle bin"
2. I have moved my "new" world and player data into a separate folder called "new folder for messy things"
3. I have copied both the player and world data from "things found in recycle bin" and put them into their appropriate spots in my world and player folders, but this didn't really seem to do anything/fix the mini map.
4. After encountering the issues and seeing the lack of mini map after I did 3. I alt + f4ed out to not save any player/world data in the hopes that it might prevent issues.
5. This is the current state of my folders if this helps. "cchrostmas mmemories" (I typoed HARD on the file creation menu) is the main world I play and around 7:20 am was when I played the kid with a light switch thing for upload to cloud....in the process of taking these screen caps I realized I accidentally just drag and dropped the player data from the recycle bin into my normal player data instead of copy and pasting it. I can only hope this doesn't make things somehow worse for me than they already are.

It should be noted that due to me being WAAAY out of my league here I haven't touched the move to/off of cloud button since, I encountered the issue and it's currently set to upload data and stuff via the cloud. Not sure if I'm wording that in a way that makes sense, but the data for both the player and world is being uploaded to the cloud.

If you're curious how I managed to do that and remain sane, all I can say is that the Grave Digger Shovel is basically pre-hardmode shroomite claws for dirt and mud blocks.

The update that I made this thread for

I followed the instructions of the single post that tried to help me which read:

"Copying from what I wrote in another thread, hope it works for you!
I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago, but after some searching, I managed to figure it out.

Remove your character from the cloud and enter the world. Go into your files with players and the like (mine were in documents>my games>terraria>players) and find a folder within the players folder that has the same name as your character. Open it and see the name of the map file within. If you don’t know which one it is due to going into multiple worlds, make a new character NOT on the cloud and enter your world and check the map file of that new character.

After that, Login at this link (steam cloud) and find the map file with the same name as the one in the folder. Download it and replace the one in your folder with this new one. Hopefully, it should work!"

end quote

Well I tried that....weirdly worded series of instructions and all I really got was finding the .map file that was in the Steam backups (dated Jun 12) was the same one in the recycle bin/rescued from the recycle bin and despite me even downloading the .bak world in my steam folder (which is a new screen cap to that initial imgur album, I added today) the .map folder in said steam cloud storage did NOT show me anything. The MOST that MIGHT work somewhat is a .map folder in the steam backups from three days before I began my quest of mining and sectioning the Jungle which involved a lot of exploration of it.

If anyone has any ideas of what else I could do next, please let me know, I just want my actual .map data back and I don't want to explore this Large sized world again after I easily put 100+ hours into exploring it.

I think there's an easy fix to this. Just go into Steam, Right click on Terraria, click properties, Local Files, and then down there it will say "Verify integrity of Game Files"

This seems to work for most problems like this, but let me know if it works or not

I think there's an easy fix to this. Just go into Steam, Right click on Terraria, click properties, Local Files, and then down there it will say "Verify integrity of Game Files"

This seems to work for most problems like this, but let me know if it works or not
For which set of files/world saves/.map files? I have like three different copies of world files, and two similar but clearly wrong .map files all of which have been moved to their own special folders away from the steam games folder to make sure nothing else could possibly go wrong.

When you verify the integrity of game files, Steam will automatically try and replace corrupt or misplaced files with what should be there. But if that didnt work you can try and uninstall and reinstall terraria from steam. Dont worry, this wont erase any saves, .plr files, .map files, etc.

When you verify the integrity of game files, Steam will automatically try and replace corrupt or misplaced files with what should be there. But if that didnt work you can try and uninstall and reinstall terraria from steam. Dont worry, this wont erase any saves, .plr files, .map files, etc.
Before I do that should I put the copy of the world file from the steam cloud backup....thing back into my worlds folder?

I said YEAH, its always a good idea to make copies and such. Meaning yes always make copies and place them in multiple places such as the worlds folder.

Back
Top Bottom