PC I can't create worlds.

josescott08

Terrarian
I am in need of assistance. Since I am out of college for the while, I decided to play the game I've clocked 1000+ hours in. But I can no longer create or enter worlds. Creating a character or loading a character is fine however, so I assume it's something wrong with the worlds. I made sure to take a screenshot of the error which will be below this message. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening to me? And if there is a fix, could you explain it? Thank you in advance. And to clarify, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Edit: Seems I can make worlds if they aren't large. Small and Medium are fine and functional.
upload_2018-5-17_13-34-27.png

Last edited:
How much RAM do you have installed? How much of it is being used by other programs that aren't Terraria? Are you running mods or is it vanilla?

Some things you can try:

1. Uninstall XNA and reinstall XNA Redist 4.0 if that doesn't help move to step 2.

-Paste Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features in your file explorer URL.

-On the left hand side click "Turn Windows feature on and off"

-Find .net 4.x and 3.x and uncheck their boxes so that they are turned off. Reboot your computer.

-Repeat steps 1 and 2, find the .net 4.x and 3.x and recheck their boxes so that they are now turned on. Reboot your computer.

-Check to see if that fixed your problem.

If you need more information on how to find either of these things let me know, or need any clarification let me know.

How much RAM do you have installed? How much of it is being used by other programs that aren't Terraria? Are you running mods or is it vanilla?

Some things you can try:

1. Uninstall XNA and reinstall XNA Redist 4.0 if that doesn't help move to step 2.

-Paste Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features in your file explorer URL.

-On the left hand side click "Turn Windows feature on and off"

-Find .net 4.x and 3.x and uncheck their boxes so that they are turned off. Reboot your computer.

-Repeat steps 1 and 2, find the .net 4.x and 3.x and recheck their boxes so that they are now turned on. Reboot your computer.

-Check to see if that fixed your problem.

If you need more information on how to find either of these things let me know, or need any clarification let me know.
Thank you. The first fix didn't work so I'm moving to the second.

How much RAM do you have? You can find this by pasting Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System into your file explorer url bar (or by navigating there yourself). Take a screenshot of that window and upload it here so I can take a look at it and see what our options are.

So you technically meet the requirements for Terraria's RAM usage, however I noticed that 2.44 GB is reserved by the system for various devices. Which means Terraria won't be able to access that. I'm not sure if Terraria's requirements are factoring in it's usable memory or the amount of memory they expect to be installed on a particular system. If I had to guess it's usable memory Terraria's requirements refer to. 2.5 is the minimum RAM requirement for Terraria, you hit just under that which means it would make sense that you wouldn't be able to generate a large world using your current system.

Though my previous paragraph is working on a lot of assumptions that I simply don't have the information for without being able to ask the developers directly. So lets pretend its an issue we can fix for now.

The most obvious solution would be to reduce the amount of applications you have running (including background) at the same time. Close all other programs that isn't Terraria and steam and see if you can create a large world then.

If not we might be able to increase the Virtual Memory and get results lets go over the steps, this might get a little complicated. Someone already created a really easy to follow guide here: https://www.geeksinphoenix.com/blog/post/2016/05/10/how-to-manage-windows-10-virtual-memory.aspx

Do all the steps listed there using the values they have, if you have any questions on one of the steps let me know and I can clarify for you. Afterwards, let me know if you're able to create a large world.

Ok. So I looked into it and my pc is using 90% of it's ram most of the time. I'm gonna go ahead and fix this issue, try your suggested solution and come back once it's done and possibly fixed. Thanks a lot so far.

Yeah sure, if you have any questions on what to do to reduce RAM usage let me know, I'm more than happy to help.

So.... I did reduce my ram more or less but it seems to spike up and down despite having a program that tries to optimize the use. I have to keep my browsers off most times to see the ram go to 50% use when I'm running nothing but steam and my anti-virus. Does the Disk being at 100% for no real reason have anything to do with it? And is there any other way to clear up ram space?

Press Ctrl+Shift+Escape, then press more details in the bottom left corner, screenshot everything there. (you might have to expand the window size or use multiple screenshots) I'll look over what you may have running and see what the cause is and what we can reduce RAM usage with.

Have you tried the virtual memory tutorial I posted yet? Did that solve the issue?

I haven't used the virtual memory yet. I've been going in and out of my house and only have time to do small things. Though the small things have cleared a lot of my stuff up. My Task manager isn't looking like a red blob now. I'm going to try and set up the virtual mem now.

Sorry that I vanished. I've basically just decided to fresh start my pc and force it into a 64x bit os. Finally have all 4 gb of my ram usable. I'm gonna try to get steam back and share my results later.Thanks for all the help.

And we can consider this case closed. I did some research and it seemed a windows update may have caused an issue with .Net. Clean installing not only fixed this issue, but improved my pc's performance. I will reinstall ramrush cause it made improvements but I'm now much happier. Thanks for leading me to do this and fix my issues. Also, I updated my anti-virus after learning I needed to update it to the 2017-18 version cause it was windows 10 supported with those versions. Thanks for everything Squid. And for anyone having the issue, I recommend backing up your pc and clean installing if your pc is causing issues like this.

Back
Top Bottom