I created an Underground Crimson biome w/27,000+ blocks & have no Underground enemies, WHY?

Motozappa

Terrarian
Hi,

At world creation I was gifted with a Corrupt biome. Now being well into the game I've created 2 surface Crimson biomes which took hold rather quickly. I really wanted a few drops from the Underground Crimson enemies (especially Ichor) so I built one with stone and dirt blocks all tainted now from Crimson Seed, Vicious Powder and harvested Crimson Blocks. I estimate that I have an area that is at least 27,000 blocks all below the surface. I made the halls and stairwells of at least 4 block spacing with clay lining the outer edges. All water has turned a dull light red, but no Underground Crimson enemies have spawned.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I included a map screenshot of the area. A pink rectangle encompasses the area I've referred to.

Thanks,
Motozappa

Attachments

• Underground Crimson.png
    Underground Crimson.png
    556.8 KB · Views: 485
Yeah good idea Greybyrnn! I'll check it out later. Also, I had a Corrupt altar on the edge of the biome and thought it might be somehow interfering with the spawning so I hammered away, but there was no change really. Of all things to show up 1st though was a Crimson Mimic and recently a few Blood Crawlers. By the way fishing works fine and I even landed a Hematic Crate. Lastly,
I did place Water Candles a bit earlier. Thanks!

Hmmm
Strange try using a battle potion

Well Greybrynn, it's just not happening, I'm going to throw the towel in and rebuild elsewhere. IDK, maybe it borders with that cool Underground Ocean charcoal colored background with the pastel streaks. Heck if I know, but it isn't anywhere near The Corruption (at 1%) or The Hallow. Water candles, battle potions, Turtle Armor all to draw enemies and nada/nothing. I Even added a LOT of Crimson walls that don't stop enemy spawns. One thing is for certain, the surface Crimson biome has an appropriate background, but the Underground won't convert from your basic brown Cavern background. I appreciate your help! I'll see you on the flip-side... (aka the B side of a vinyl record album/an old saying) Damn, I'm a neanderthal ; )

For the Crimson to be recognised as the Underground Crimson it has to be much deeper than yours is, in the Cavern layer in particular. Your Crimson is mostly on the Surface and start of the Underground layer, nowhere near the Cavern layer ("Underground" Crimson actually means Cavern Crimson, more or less). If you use a Depth Meter or its upgrades it will tell you exactly when your player character is deep enough to be in the Cavern layer. In the image you posted you might notice the background of the map is brown, indicating just below the Surface or the Underground, when you're in the Cavern it should change to grey, at which point the Underground Crimson should be recognised if you have enough blocks.

The Underground Crimson background music will play at a higher depth than any of the mob spawns or background changes will, might give you the false impression you're in the biome itself. I'll admit, the artificial biome you built is huge, so it'd be a pain to try and rebuild it verbatim in the Cavern layer, so you could try using a tool like TEdit to essentially copy and paste that biome to a deeper layer, then iron out any imperfections after.

Underground Crimson
Cavern

I posted some relevant wiki article links above in relation to that.

Last edited:
@Rgmemo,

I'm much obliged for the information you've presented. Although, I do believe I'm in the Underground Cavern according to the game, this forum and to Terraria's Gamepedia "pages", however I know something is amiss so I shall follow your heed and bury it much deeper.

I can clean it up quickly and have already begun so I'll circumvent the utilization of TEdit and the learning curve associated with its understanding.

I'll be sure to visit the article(s) you've linked above before proceeding. Additionally, a quick glance at your profile and its assets has me somewhat intrigued in general...

All the best,
Sir Moto...

PS. I need some shut-eye & good morning Sir ...memo

Last edited:
@Rgmemo

Well what you suggested did the trick. The Underground Crimson enemies are spawning and I'm collecting Ichor! I still don't have a Crimson background, but all other characteristics exist. It's weird though, it's called "The Underground Crimson" but being underground apparently isn't quite enough. I had been looking at that page (the same as your link). I hadn't thought to look at the Cavern page which was a big mistake.

Kudos to you Sir plus many thanks to you and @Greybyrnn as well!

For the Crimson to be recognised as the Underground Crimson it has to be much deeper than yours is, in the Cavern layer in particular.

I posted some relevant wiki article links above in relation to that.
Does it have to be CAVERN? I was (on my way of) constructing barriers for such biomes and I know that the music changed at "underground" (I had the PDA)
The lowest point (before corruption will hit the barrier) is approximately -286 ft, or about 143 blocks. The cavern later starts at -300.
Well Greybrynn, it's just not happening,
I think it is simply WAY too shallow. Looking at the map you did not even hit underground (which is noticeable from a drastic increase in the amount of natural stone blocks)
However judging from the picture looks like you have background walls of some kind. If there wasn't walls the map background for underground and cavern should be grey.
I don't know. But I know that when you hit "underground" there should be no natural dirt walls. The amount of modification to this area is too extensive I can't evaluate whether it hit "underground" by the amount of stone blocks I saw.

Try with the lowest layer (with the natural underground cabin). They only generate at underground I'm pretty sure. You only need about 300 blocks don't need to go crazy.
Ans, make sure it's in hardmode..

Last edited:
Hi Motozappa,

I believe the problem with your underground crimson are the amount of holes near them. I am almost certain that nearly all enemies that spawn near your area spawn in those air pockets, especially because a lot of those pockets have more areas of air than the region I suppose you are trying to farm your enemies from.

I suggest you to make your crimson farm wider, because entity spawns, while not limited to them, depend on block-type. Meaning that if you are next to regular cavern blocks, there is a higher chance that regular cavern enemies will spawn in place of underground crimson spawns. Take this with a grain of salt however, because I am not sure if my gathered information is accurate.

Does it have to be CAVERN? I was (on my way of) constructing barriers for such biomes and I know that the music changed at "underground" (I had the PDA)
The lowest point (before corruption will hit the barrier) is approximately -286 ft, or about 143 blocks. The cavern later starts at -300.

I think it is simply WAY too shallow. Looking at the map you did not even hit underground (which is noticeable from a drastic increase in the amount of natural stone blocks)
However judging from the picture looks like you have background walls of some kind. If there wasn't walls the map background for underground and cavern should be grey.
I don't know. But I know that when you hit "underground" there should be no natural dirt walls. The amount of modification to this area is too extensive I can't evaluate whether it hit "underground" by the amount of stone blocks I saw.

Try with the lowest layer (with the natural underground cabin). They only generate at underground I'm pretty sure. You only need about 300 blocks don't need to go crazy.
Ans, make sure it's in hardmode..
In my own experience, and according to the wiki (which stipulates that the Underground Crimson appears at or below the cavern layer), I believe it does have to be in the cavern layer. I've seen the Underground Crimruption music start playing at a much higher depth (around the underground layer) but I never got the other more important changes associated with the Underground Crimruption. You might notice that if you go inside the natural chasms generated by both evils then you'll still virtually always get surface enemies (and surface music until you're deep enough), but I've never once seen the Underground Crimruption enemies spawn in these chasms simply because they weren't deep enough to reach the cavern layer, they only extended as far as the underground layer.

these chasms
For corruption, the horizontal "tunnel" generate beneath underground layer, about 10 to 30 tiles down or so.
For crimson, I believe that the "cave" generate beneath underground, although I can't verify.
______
(started incinerating things with frostburn)
Souls started dropping at -225 (underground) and I had encountered ONE clinger.
Ok we had another one. I'm in the right place.

For corruption, the horizontal "tunnel" generate beneath underground layer, about 10 to 30 tiles down or so.
For crimson, I believe that the "cave" generate beneath underground, although I can't verify.
______
(started incinerating things with frostburn)
Souls started dropping at -225 (underground) and I had encountered ONE clinger.
Ok we had another one. I'm in the right place.
It depends on world size and the depth of chasm generation. The open circular cave in the Crimson chasm and the horizontal section of the Corruption chasm are almost always firmly in the underground layer, though the lower reaches of the "digits" extending out from the Crimson can barely reach the cavern layer, and the vertical drops in the Corruption chasm can too. I don't see much point in trading anecdotes since moving the character out of one layer while still having enemies on-screen from said layer is possible, but the best option is to create a farm that's comfortably within the cavern layer.

trading anecdote
It's not. My character is in -225 and the ... ehh. clinger is around -225 to -275. ish
best option is to create a farm that's comfortably within the cavern layer.
Agreed. This way there is more area for enemies to spawn (for the farm anyways). Especially if he wanted to go THAT far (making terrain into layered "blocks"). He can even have the regular forest top layer.

It's not. My character is in -225 and the ... ehh. clinger is around -225 to -275. ish

Agreed. This way there is more area for enemies to spawn (for the farm anyways). Especially if he wanted to go THAT far (making terrain into layered "blocks"). He can even have the regular forest top layer.
Cavern
Cavern layer starts at various minimum start depths here, 120 ft, 180 ft, 240 ft even. Even when I've fallen down the deepest pits in the Corruption chasm I've never seen the likes of Clingers spawn, but as far as information is concerned the exception is the rule in this game.
Underground Corruption
Underground Crimson
Underground
The three articles above all state that the underground versions of the evil biomes and their respective contents begin in the Cavern layer, so you can edit them if you see that they actually begin at the Underground layer (or if any of the enemies spawn at that layer). I don't have access to something like the source code for reference so I can't legitimately verify anything.

Back
Top Bottom