PC I don't understan why this isn't valid housing.

OmniusMortus

Terrarian
(Please see attached image for reference)
This is the first of 20 rooms I'm building in my town. I have no idea why this is not valid.

The left and right sections are 10 x 26 (520 blocks total)
the center section is 9 x 25 (225 blocks)
Thus totaling 745 total open space. (wiki states that house size is a max space of 750)
As you can see I have 3 light sources, a chair, and a workbench.
I'm getting the message saying that it is not valid housing.
I've read the official wiki many times, and can't figure out why the house is not valid.

Is there something I'm not understanding?

Thanks for your Help!
-OM

Attachments

• Capture 2015-07-07 15_35_08.png
    Capture 2015-07-07 15_35_08.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,410
Or try splitting it into many rooms the size of normal houses. That can be a problem when two doors are open at the same time though.

It's too big, NPC housings cannot be too big

Try cutting it down to at least half

Or try splitting it into many rooms the size of normal houses. That can be a problem when two doors are open at the same time though.

While I am virtually certain that shrinking the size of the house would fix the problem, I like making large living spaces for my NPCs. So I am trying to make the home as big as possible. I'm trying to find out exactly why it isn't working, so I can build the greatest possible valid housing.

Thank you for the input none the less. :)

While I am virtually certain that shrinking the size of the house would fix the problem, I like making large living spaces for my NPCs. So I am trying to make the home as big as possible. I'm trying to find out exactly why it isn't working, so I can build the greatest possible valid housing.

Thank you for the input none the less. :)
Hm. I do wonder what the maximum size for an NPC house actually is. I never really tried to experiment, since I usually try to make them as small as I can get away with.

From Suweeka's tests, I believe the upper limit for NPC housing is 300 blocks of area. Can't ascertain that myself right now though.

Cool, what are the dimensions?
Would it be funny if I said the hell if I know? This is the penthouse of a boreal complex. Below it are several floors with a house for NPCs on either side, and a hallway between, it's like that for each floor. The foundation is just this arbitrary space I was building in, so it just became that wide. The interior is 49 blocks, so I suppose we could say sides included it's 51. The height is twice as high as you can default build from the ground without jumping. Counting up seems to make it so it's 12 blocks tall by 51 wide. If that doesn't work, then my non precise building is to blame.

I didn't measure the size of youre house, but I think the 750 figure for max size may include the sides/floor/roof. Might that be the problem?

:confused: I kinda figured it out... ish...
I made a house with an inter space of 729 blocks (27 x 27) Including the walls, it was 841 blocks total... Of course it was not valid...
I then whittled the size down one wall at a time... At 625 blocks, (25 x 25) inside [729 / 27 x 27 outside] finally valid! :D
Continuing the experimentation I then added thickness to the outside walls, to see if that was having an affect. At 1,089 blocks (33 x 33) it was still valid. -_-
So, I started whittling off the ceiling until it wasn't valid. Cut out 16 blocks, valid. Cut out 17... not valid. So internal volume of 641 and an exterior of 745 seems to be the limit....

Just to test to see if it is the perimeter of the innermost walls/ceiling/floor or the volume of the internal space that is the determining factor I took the last 9 blocks off of the ceiling and rearranged it into a square in the center of the room... not valid. Put the square on the ceiling... not valid.

:sigh::( I give up, someone smarter than me will have to figure it out.
Seriously though, can the Dev's chime in on this one maybe?

Attachments

• Capture 2015-07-08 00_15_22.png
    Capture 2015-07-08 00_15_22.png
    160 KB · Views: 399
  • Capture 2015-07-08 00_15_13.png
    Capture 2015-07-08 00_15_13.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 328
  • Capture 2015-07-08 00_36_43.png
    Capture 2015-07-08 00_36_43.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 287
:confused: I kinda figured it out... ish...
I made a house with an inter space of 729 blocks (27 x 27) Including the walls, it was 841 blocks total... Of course it was not valid...
I then whittled the size down one wall at a time... At 625 blocks, (25 x 25) inside [729 / 27 x 27 outside] finally valid! :D
Continuing the experimentation I then added thickness to the outside walls, to see if that was having an affect. At 1,089 blocks (33 x 33) it was still valid. -_-
So, I started whittling off the ceiling until it wasn't valid. Cut out 16 blocks, valid. Cut out 17... not valid. So internal volume of 641 and an exterior of 745 seems to be the limit....

Just to test to see if it is the perimeter of the innermost walls/ceiling/floor or the volume of the internal space that is the determining factor I took the last 9 blocks off of the ceiling and rearranged it into a square in the center of the room... not valid. Put the square on the ceiling... not valid.

:sigh::( I give up, someone smarter than me will have to figure it out.
Seriously though, can the Dev's chime in on this one maybe?

OP, I know it's very late but the reason this is not a valid housing is because the total blocks occupied by the house [both interior and the walls, not including additional wall thickness] exceeds 749. It cannot be 750 and above.

The example you provided us measures a total of 27x28, which equals 756 blocks. Adding 9 blocks to the interior walls in the shape of a line effectively decreases the total area occupied by house by 7, bringing the total area down to 749, which makes it a valid housing:
324ad09638.png

In one of your other screenshots, it shows a line of 8 blocks instead of 9. This brings the total space up to 750, which does not meet the criteria. Therefore this makes it an invalid housing.

And lastly, in the third screenshot, you add 9 blocks in the form of a 3x3 cube. This is invalid mainly because this merely decreases the total size of the house by 3, as seen here:
ea9f04731b.png

To summarize, the largest possible house you can make must have an area less than 750. This includes the walls of the house. Keep in mind that it only counts 1 thickness worth of walls, so having walls 2 blocks thick will not increase the size.

Your original pumpkin room is indeed way too big. It reaches 745 blocks of space, but not including the walls.
If you include the walls, the total area that the room takes should be about 925 blocks.

And easy fix would be to take the interior empty space and use that as the room's area. That is, just add 1 block thick walls to the interior and it should be suitable.

EDIT: I made an example to clarify.
25d94ba9d9.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom