PC I feel like the new Sunfury damage messes a ton with difficulty going into hardmode

hyperyikes

Terrarian
The 70 damage combined with the new flail mechanics make for a weapon that absolutely demolishes any of the enemies that you have left to fight if you get it before hardmode, and make grinding for early hardmode materials way to easy. It kinda removes some of the hard from early hardmode. It feels almost like I had brought in a late hardmode weapon from another world.

I agree that the new flail mechanics DEFINITELY can obliterate enemies, and do seem broken. The Blue Moon for example did about 65 melee damage when I found it, and it's common to find in the dungeon chests. When the stats for the Blue Moon said "Very Slow Speed" it makes me cringe because they feel fast, but I guess compared to other melee weapons (specifically the time it takes for a "full swing"), the flails look slower in comparison. But, if a weapon ruins the experience for you, just don't use it then. "Over-powered" weapons are likely always going to be in the game depending on your skill level, if an average Terraria player can do well with a flail, then a more experienced one may feel they've made the game to easy because of their current skill level while playing.

I feel like everything in 1.4 does more damage now. The player and the enemy. Also I think the flails got such a buff so that melee players have a good weapon to enter hardmode with because, I mean, the nights edge wasn't really great was it?

Yeah, I've definitely noticed weapons do more damage, but I personally believe the extra damage is intended to balance things out (especially for master mode). The Night's Edge is definitely out-shined by other weapons (especially the weapons you can get in early hardmode). The Hel-fire, Nimbus Rod, and the weapons from the biome mimics.

The Night's Edge was always outshined by early Hardmode weapons. I always raced to get a Dao of Pow early on by infecting some sand and making artificial infected deserts.

Before playing I was specifically told by the patch notes that "flails ought to be far more effective now" and boy howdy they're not kidding. The 1.4 Sunfury does about twice as much damage per hit as any other pre-Hardmode weapon, pierces infinitely, and does several hits sequentially.
I think the flails got such a buff so that melee players have a good weapon to enter hardmode with
Originally, the good melee weapons were boomerangs and spears.

Then it was yoyos.

Now, at least until you've maxed out your yoyo powers, it's flails.

I thought it was just me lmao. Flails definitely seem to be ahead of the power curve compared to other weapons, but I guess melee builds need something to kill WoF with as going within range to use anything else is suicide on expert mode.

I thought it was just me lmao. Flails definitely seem to be ahead of the power curve compared to other weapons, but I guess melee builds need something to kill WoF with as going within range to use anything else is suicide on expert mode.
I used Boomerangs before flails were buffed. 1.4 also made it easier to get the Flamarang - you can now craft a Wooden Boomerang and a Fallen Star into the Enchanted Boomerang, rather than having to go find one.

In my experience, despite the damage buffs, it somehow feels a lot slower and a lot more awkward to use in many situations, and I also feel like the DPS on it has barely, if at all, increased compared to the old flails. And maybe in Normal mode it makes early Hardmode a cakewalk, but in Expert+, not so much. In so many situations I still can't help but find the Dark lance more efficient.

In my experience, despite the damage buffs, it somehow feels a lot slower and a lot more awkward to use in many situations, and I also feel like the DPS on it has barely, if at all, increased compared to the old flails. And maybe in Normal mode it makes early Hardmode a cakewalk, but in Expert+, not so much. In so many situations I still can't help but find the Dark lance more efficient.
I can't relate lol. I've been doing a master mode playthrough and the flails where sooo useful. At the beginning of my world I got a mace and then I went into the underground desert. It shreds. You can grapple to the roof and just drop the flail down so the enemies walk into it. It does a good bit of knockback too so when I got cornered I just hit the enemies with it and it fared really well against them. Overall I'm very happy with the new flails

Wait I thought when you did the spinny thing around you that the flails didn't do their full displayed damage, I thought the full damage only occured when thrown.

Wait I thought when you did the spinny thing around you that the flails didn't do their full displayed damage, I thought the full damage only occured when thrown.

This has been my experience. However the lessened damage and the critters ai to continue walking in to things usually means it does sufficient damage

The hold-spin doesn't do full damage per hit, I don't think, but it does many hits very rapidly and is great for clearing out annoying minor enemies like bats.

Back
Top Bottom