I finally found a way to run Terraria on Ubuntu (PlayOnLinux)

Did this Help?

• This Doesn't Work!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadbriX|CVG

Terrarian
Alright, this method of running Terraria on Linux can be used to fix the problem I have encountered pretty much everywhere on the internet when running the game on this high tech platform.
I will skip the introduction of what PlayOnLinux is and I will assume you guys know what it is, and how to use it. Please let me know if this post would need pictures :D:indifferent:
Haha,

1. Open Up PlayOnLinux and install your "Terraria.exe" with it. Click the button with the plus sign and says "Install" and a window should open up. In the
lower left-hand side corner, there should be a button that says "Install a non-listed program". Follow the instructions (Be sure to create a "New Virtual Drive" when it asks). Navigate to where your Terraria.exe was saved to after download and press install. It will take a few minutes, but it's worth it ;)
When Installation is finished, close the Install window and go back to the original main menu of PlayOnLinux.

2. Now, in the main menu, click on the Configure Button with the Gear Icon, and the "Configure" Window should open up.

3. In the Configure window, select "Terraria" in the side panel.

4. Click on the tab "Install Components". This is where you can see all the needed components for different Video Games.

5. Scroll down the list of components and at the bottom of the list, you should see "xna40". This is Microsoft XNA 4.0! Your Terraria won't recognize it if it was installed manually from the website for some strange reason.

6. Select the "xna40" and click Install. Once it has finished, select the tab called "Miscellaneous" can click on the button "Run a .exe file from this virtual drive"

7. The opening folder should show your recently used "Terraria.exe". Click on it, and wait around a few seconds for the game to initiate.

8. Enjoy the game! Let me know in the comments if there are any errors encountered.

Well, this worked for me, and I figured this out just by experimentation (You should try that too)! I only skipped what PlayOnLinux is because most likely this thread will be hard to find deep in the internet and most likely Linux users will know what it is. This whole thing was tried on Ubuntu 14.04 and it worked for me; I hope this also works for others. One error I found in-game, though, was that the minimap was missing completely, no matter what key I pressed... (Terraria 1.2.4.1) :eek:

-CVG, Out!

Last edited:
Whoa I forgot, is it allowed to post SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS here in the PC Support or do we just post questions for help? Please tell me if this was posted in the wrong place, and I have also found errors in this guide. I will edit it shortly.

Whoa I forgot, is it allowed to post SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS here in the PC Support or do we just post questions for help? Please tell me if this was posted in the wrong place, and I have also found errors in this guide. I will edit it shortly.
Updated! Hopefully the instructions are understandable, I completely forgot HOW to install Terraria with P.O.L.

I mostly put the instructions on how to RUN the game, heh! Once again, notify me of errors!

Hi there @ThebigBYT, welcome to the forums.

We don't have a rule about necroing a thread (posting in a very old thread reviving it), as long as you add relevant discussion to the thread. In this case, all you've done is respond to an old thread with no content at all though. It's something to keep in mind as you browse the forums that we do expect members to post with comments that are on topic and that further the discussion. Thanks.

If you have any questions, you can always Start a Conversation with me or any other moderator.

I'll close this thread since it was made before we had official Mac and Linux support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom