I see a lot of love for Five Nights At Freddy's. I raise you something better, if much more costly.

General Milky

Terrarian
Hello one and all, I'm taking a guess we have a lot of horror fans here. I'll start by saying FNaF is fantastic, despite the CRIPPLING overexposure and insane popularity thanks to youtubers pretending to be scared at the types of games they make a living to play. It preys on player paranoia, doing well at FNaF means defying instinct and keeping a cool head, and that much deserves respect.

However, nothing to date has terrified me so much as Alien: Isolation has.

I don't even wanna show a video or anything. To my understanding, Markiplier at least has done an LP on Alien: Isolation but to any wanting to play it, I heartily suggest you avoid watching it. That said, it's now on me to sell this to you, so here we go; Alien: Isolation is a survival horror based on Ridley Scott's legendary horror flick Alien. Games based on the liscense have come and gone, but not many got it right. They always have guns and you are expected to shoot at will. Not here. Guns are in this game, but shooting the alien, which is "the monster" of this game in the same way Slenderman is of Slender or SCP-173 is of SCP:CB, will KILL YOU DEAD before you even realize what's happening.

Let it be known, Alien: Isolation is a very hard game, especially on Hard Mode (the game's recommended way of playing). This works both for, and against it. On the good side, the difficulty makes the experience as tense as it can possibly be. This game's monster is SMART and unscripted. In Amnesia, for instance, one way you could evade its monster was closing a door and ducking in a closet or into a dark corner. Not here, if you run into a room and duck into a locker, it will pull you right the hell out as if to mock you for thinking that crap would work on it. The game is very much a stealth game, there are no second chances. If you get discovered, 98% of the time, you are dead. It's faster, stronger, and smarter than you. It WILL catch up, it WILL kill you in one hit, and you WILL get frustrated and feel you are up against impossible odds. All you can do is divert and distract it with craftable items like noisemakers and smoke bombs.

Thus, the gameplay is in avoiding detection altogether, and this is where the game shines. The Alien hunts you in an uncannily realistic way. It's almost never scripted, you never know when it will show up, and it never has a patrol pattern. It wanders around at random, and it tracks you using its senses. Every single move is deliberate. Running, walking, hiding in openables, using items (including the motion tracker, which is by far the most useful tool in the game as it shows whether or not the alien is lurking in a vent near you) all makes noise. It will hear and react to these sounds, and investigate anything it thinks it sees or hears. It sees your flashlight, it predicts you and tries to cut you off if it suspects it saw you going somewhere. It even sniffs you out if you spend too long in the same place. Let me tell you, crawling along, knocking a stool over, and hearing the Alien's heavy footsteps, currently in an adjacent room, suddenly stop and pick up speed while you scramble under a desk and soon see its massive legs and 7 foot tail drag behind it passing by just inches in front of your face is a truly humbling experience.

Nothing holds your hand. It's just you, your improvised tools, and your own wit. There are other enemies in the game, enemies you can kill with your guns, but shooting the gun will attract the alien. Maybe you could just run instead, but the heavy, clunky footsteps of a sprinting player attracts the alien as well, not to mention any other threats in the area. There's no bailouts, nothing to "give you a chance" if you truly screw up. The game is hostile and terrifying and I love it.

The game is long. So long, in fact, that its length works against it. Playing to the end will be a marathon and sooner or later, the scares might wear off a bit as you get used to the types of threats you must deal with, but the tension never goes away. It's all in the AI here, you might have seen the Alien before. You know what it looks like, what it sounds like, and what it's capable of, how to evade it, but unlike most horror game monsters it's not predictable at all. Every encounter with it is stressful and it allegedly even learns how to counter your tricks at evading it, though I didn't personally notice it with the exception of one item in particular getting less and less effective.

Nonetheless, despite its flaws, I can't recommend it enough. If you love being terrified and made to do things you really don't want to do, pick up Alien: Isolation. If you want a game that will make you stressed out and want to verbally argue, get Alien: Isolation. By the end of it, you'll feel a bit like you truly survived something not counting the dozens of spectacular failures you had on the way, and not to mention, the aesthetic of the space station the game takes place on is Bioshock levels of beautiful. If you are a fan of that retro futuristic stuff seen in, well, the movies the game is based on, the visuals of the game are something that must be witnessed.

Go on, then. Get out of that office room, get under the desk, and clutch that motion sensor tightly. There's more than animatronics out there, and it doesn't care about doors being shut in its face. Or a shotgun.

Edit: Found a decent video that shows off a bit of what you're in for without really showing how to play well or anything.

Last edited:
I got it, I really wish I had a graphics card so I can play it on above low, and an oculus rift. But yeah, dat AI does not screw around. Looks like perpetual sneaking in my fallout play throughs has paid off, as I have only died a couple times in Aline Isolation so far. And not as much I see people do in their lets plays. (I only watch the parts I've already completed as not to spoil anything).

Crouching is love, crouching is life.

As for the learning to counter your tricks, from what I have seen it catches on if you use stale tactics. So if you are unpredictable at how you are going to evade it like the alien does with stalking you, you'll be better off and probably why I'm not dying as much as others in the LP's I have seen.

Last edited:
I got it, I really wish I had a graphics card so I can play it on above low, and an oculus rift. But yeah, dat AI does not screw around. Looks like perpetual sneaking in my fallout play throughs has paid off, as I have only died a couple times in Aline Isolation so far. And not as much I see people do in their lets plays. (I only watch the parts I've already completed as not to spoil anything).

Crouching is love, crouching is life.

As for the learning to counter your tricks, from what I have seen it catches on if you use stale tactics. So if you are unpredictable at how you are going to evade it like the alien does with stalking you, you'll be better off and probably why I'm not dying as much as others in the LP's I have seen.

Nice work! The game is pretty tough, so it's cool that you're progressing through at a nice pace. What difficulty did you pick?

Nice work! The game is pretty tough, so it's cool that you're progressing through at a nice pace. What difficulty did you pick?
Hard. I'm exceedingly paranoid and cautious, so in a weird way I thrive in that kind of environment. Same deal when I played EVE online. I instantly knew about the "knocking over the stool" mechanic when I clinked some cans in the torrens, and was like "Wow that attention to detail, that'll probably get me killed." Though I kinda stalled playing it for now, still addicted to space engineers and debating if I should get a graphics card for my APU since I get lag (on low settings) when I about face, which is pretty much essential thing you need to do quickly in a survival horror. However of all the games in my steal library, only Natural Selection 2, This, and one or two other debatebles are that demanding. So i'm not sure if it is worth it to drop $70-100 bucks on a graphics card that I only need for a handful of games - games I don't play often compared to KSP, SE, or terraria.

Last edited:
One thing I really wished Alien Isolation had was a "stealth hide" option where you climb into lockers/hiding spots more slowly, but almost silently.

Back
Top Bottom