Game Mechanics I Want to Sit in Chairs Too D:

stormconure

Duke Fishron
1.3 came out, and NPCs got an Ai change. A major one. One aspect of it was that they can sit in chairs. And I looked at them sitting down and I was like, "What if I got tired too? Why couldn't I sit down with them?" So then i got this idea.

Right-clicking a chair would cause you to sit in it just like an NPC. You would have to be within 1 block of the chair for this to work (honestly, any further and this would be exploited so much, like TPing through walls by clicking a chair on the other side... You get the idea). Then, just press any directional key (W A S D Space) to leave the chair.

Edit: it has come to my attention that it may not be so easy to sprite for all the different armor sets in the sitting position. So what if the player took off their armor and vanity while sitting down? (Idea by @SzGamer227 and @MegaMage314)

Um, yeah. What do you think?

Last edited:
Honestly the ammount of work that would have to be involved doing it would most likely not be worth it.

I was thinking about that after building for 2 hours with a friend, like
"Whoa dude, we need to take a rest"
"But we can't sit"
*Both cry*

How? All it would take is a different leg animation. They hinted that the walking animation is easy, why would this be any different?
This isn't walking. It's sitting. They'd need a new sitting animation for every armor and accessory in the game for male and female characters.

I think it would be completely infeasible to go through adding a new frame to the ~900 equipment frame sets Terraria has just so that players could sit down. If it took the players armor and accessories off while sitting down, then I could see this being a thing.

This isn't walking. It's sitting. They'd need a new sitting animation for every armor and accessory in the game for male and female characters.
Not really. Unless they have a walking animation for every armor and accessory and every gender. Which I can easily see a way around. All you have to do is make the legs do something, and say something like "make the armor follow the legs." Not that hard.

I think it would be completely infeasible to go through adding a new frame to the ~900 equipment frame sets Terraria has just so that players could sit down. If it took the players armor and accessories off while sitting down, then I could see this being a thing.
Again, same thing I told Azumarill. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be required to make a model for every possible thing. Just have a template (the legs) and make the armor follow it.

Again, same thing I told Azumarill. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be required to make a model for every possible thing. Just have a template (the legs) and make the armor follow it.
The only way for this to be possible is to add a new sitting frame to each of the existing armor, body, arms, legs, everything frames individually for every armor/vanity piece in the game.

Not really - all they have to do is offset the legs by 2 - 4 pixels to the direction the player is facing and it'd look good. Depending on how the framework is designed it'd be pretty simple to do.
And you'd have to do that with the arms and body too. For several hundred armor and vanity pieces.

Like others have said, it would require a new leg sprite for every leg equip in the whole game. Sleeping on a bed however WOULD work, you'd only have to flip the sprite, and make the eyes closed which would take far less work.

The only way for this to be possible is to add a new sitting frame to each of the existing armor, body, arms, legs, everything frames individually for every armor/vanity piece in the game.

And you'd have to do that with the arms and body too. For several hundred armor and vanity pieces.
Again not really - I saw a mockup a while back on Cenx's profile page and all they did was offset the legs. I'll see if I can find it for you. All they did was offset the legs and it looked pretty good.

All it would require is a line of code that says "shift [object] this way". Since the armor set sprites seem to follow he same data set, it would make everything follow it. Wouldn't need to change the sprites at all.

All it would require is a line of code that says "shift [object] this way". Since the armor set sprites seem to follow he same data set, it would make everything follow it. Wouldn't need to change the sprites at all.
That causes problems with all of the robes in the game. There would be an outline gap on them.

Back
Top Bottom