I was wondering if any of you guys play Master Mode more now that it came out, or stick to Expert Mode?

Larsarath

Terrarian
Title says it all. After Master Mode came out, I see a lot of people trying to beat it or showing how to beat it better. I personally really like this "hard mode". Up till now, Expert Mode was the "hard mode" and the best way to play Terraria (in my, and many other's opinion). Now that Master Mode came out, do you guys play that more? I find it to be a lot more enjoyable and challenging.

For the most part when I do playthroughs, ever since 1.4 came out, I either play Master Mode or Journey Mode set to Master difficulty.

With a lot of JRPGs I'll generally start on the game's hard mode if the game has difficulty settings but not on the difficulty above that. Some RPGs will have a "Nightmare Mode" that's above the Normal and Hard difficulty. It can take on other names in other games, but I see Classic Mode as effectively "Normal Mode" while Expert is "Hard Mode" with Master being "Nightmare Mode".

If its a type of game such as a fighting game or survival game that I don't play as much of, I might start those games at a lower difficulty.

In the case of Terraria though, to keep the enemies challenging I play it on Master Mode. I also enjoy the extra accessory slot and other goodies from bosses that come with it. If I do eventually play Terraria on the Switch at some point I might still stick to Expert mode on that since I'm not as proficient with the controller compared to KB & M controls when it comes to Terraria.

Otherwise yes. I enjoy challenge in games. Especially platformers & RPGs which are my main specialty. Master Mode keeps Terraria challenging to me which is why I like to have my new playthroughs at that difficulty level.

I don't tend to take on games at very high difficulty levels unless I'm already comfortable playing on the higher difficulties.

As for terraria, I usually take on classic mode to get a feel for how to play in a way I'm normally unfamiliar with (for example, with touch controls, which I am not used to) or until I'm more used to how a specific threat is dealt with, such as deerclops in the new update or the old one's Army.

I do Journey, fight the bosses in Expert as a warmup, then fight them in Master. By default the world stays at Expert otherwise, so that I can't get complacent.

To be perfectly honest, I never even touched expert mode!

Mainly because I had trouble with late game bosses in classic as it is, so who knows how hard they'll be in expert mode.

Come to think of it I really should do an expert run then! It's about time lol

To be perfectly honest, I never even touched expert mode!

Mainly because I had trouble with late game bosses in classic as it is, so who knows how hard they'll be in expert mode.

Come to think of it I really should do an expert run then! It's about time lol
Expert mode bosses are so easy bro trust me. Master should've come waaaaay sooner....

When expert came out, I never touched normal anymore. When Master came out I never touched normal or expert anymore.

Master Mode for me, all-day-every-day! 🙏 😇

It reminds me of the good ol' days when I used to sneak around on Hardmode Servers with 'Starter Characters', just to cheese-out the good loot/ items, then progress through the game backward. I tend to play most games this way, exploring places 'I shouldn't be at my level', and then, only turning back after hitting a steel wall ('cause brick walls won't stop me, lol).

i see master as an occasional challenge. i enjoy all of the gamemodes, (although i don’t play expert anymore) and it just depends on what i’m in the mood for.

I've played exclusively in Master Mode since it was released; it's not too difficult. I played Master Mode with the For The Worthy seed once too, which I completed, but it wasn't very fun.

Hi,

I personally dislike Master Mode as it pretty much just buffs enemies with no AI changes or quirky new features. I still play it anyways just because it's the hardest difficulty and I'd feel like a noob if I don't pick the toughest difficulty option.

...Master Mode as it pretty much just buffs enemies with no AI changes or quirky new features. I still play it anyways just because it's the hardest difficulty and I'd feel like a noob if I don't pick the toughest difficulty option.
Yep. But additional accessory slot after all
Actually... there's a few things I'd like to add to these takes:
1.) Master Mode isn't actually the "Hardest Difficulty Setting" in Terraria, the jury is still out on specifics but, so far, it's accepted to be "Master, FTW" (which changes some Boss A.I., item distribution, progression hurdles/ walls, terrain hazards and a few other minor features), but "Master, NTB" and "Master, DST" are arguably right up there as well, though I would never recommend "Master, DST" to anyone, ever.

2.) On a more minor note, Master Mode of course adds the additional accessory slot, Boss Relics (i.e. collectable furniture), MM specific Mounts, a few new items, and in most cases an overall 'speed boost' to some Bosses, which actually does make some difference in fights; notable mentions being WoF, Duke Fishron (no cheese), and EoL.

Though rarely mentioned, OOA is also dramatically affected by the changes from MM, and if you though Bestsy was a DPS check before... 😬🥶

That's the reason of why I'm usually skipping this event entirely in single player
For the sake of clarity though, I do want to emphasis that I think it's important we have different kinds of Bosses/ Enemies in this game.

So far, I think we all agree on the several types that Terraria already provides (though we could get more technical if we wanted to).
  1. Knowledge Check Bosses.
  2. Skill Check Bosses.
  3. DPS Check/ Brute Force Bosses.
  4. Gimmick Bosses.
Just didn't want my previous take on Betsy to be use as a catalyst to start something it's not intended to start... just incase. 😏 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom