Idea for a Bait Farm in Terraria 1.4

DoofusNugget

Skeletron
Recently I've noticed that some of the best tactics of getting bait, like the flower boots and bug net combination don't seem to work anymore (in 1.4 on PC at least). However, I have an idea to get relatively easy bait, specifically: Grubbies (15% Bait Power), Sluggies (25% Bait Power), and Buggies (40% Bait Power). You may notice throughout the jungle biome these background plants, they're 3 by 2 blocks in size. Breaking these plants give you a pretty good chance of getting usable bait. And these things are EVERYWHERE in the jungle, for me it only took less than 5 minutes to get almost 40 pieces of bait.

So, with this information you could possibly make a farm with it. Perhaps you have long strips of jungle grass with another strip of blocks on the bottom (this prevents pesky vines from appearing). You could have these rows of blocks stacked with two blocks in between, so the background plants have space to grow. Then, you put actuators on all these blocks which is linked to a lever, and maybe a conveyor belt system for ease-of-use.

Also, you could build a farm like this above the underground layer to just get background plants. And, you can put the farm underground if you want extra things like life fruits or plantera bulbs.

This is just an idea as I haven't build a farm like this yet, but the idea is out there for people who are looking for an alternative bait farming method. Hope this helps!

Recently I've noticed that some of the best tactics of getting bait, like the flower boots and bug net combination don't seem to work anymore (in 1.4 on PC at least). However, I have an idea to get relatively easy bait, specifically: Grubbies (15% Bait Power), Sluggies (25% Bait Power), and Buggies (40% Bait Power). You may notice throughout the jungle biome these background plants, they're 3 by 2 blocks in size. Breaking these plants give you a pretty good chance of getting usable bait. And these things are EVERYWHERE in the jungle, for me it only took less than 5 minutes to get almost 40 pieces of bait.

So, with this information you could possibly make a farm with it. Perhaps you have long strips of jungle grass with another strip of blocks on the bottom (this prevents pesky vines from appearing). You could have these rows of blocks stacked with two blocks in between, so the background plants have space to grow. Then, you put actuators on all these blocks which is linked to a lever, and maybe a conveyor belt system for ease-of-use.

Also, you could build a farm like this above the underground layer to just get background plants. And, you can put the farm underground if you want extra things like life fruits or plantera bulbs.

This is just an idea as I haven't build a farm like this yet, but the idea is out there for people who are looking for an alternative bait farming method. Hope this helps!

I've done, errr, attempted this pre1.4 and it doesn't work perfect. Problem is forcing the 2 wide plants as sometimes 2 single wide will grow instead. The other issue is that sometimes the bugs got caught inside of the conveyor belts. I mean inside as if the belts won't move them.

It's still one of the better ways to get bait. Do note that stars drop far more frequently now. If you set up an underground base or break underground rocks it doesn't take long to get a ton of worms. Mix em and you get 35% bait which works ok.

Best bet is still going with fishing quests and crates.

I've done, errr, attempted this pre1.4 and it doesn't work perfect. Problem is forcing the 2 wide plants as sometimes 2 single wide will grow instead. The other issue is that sometimes the bugs got caught inside of the conveyor belts. I mean inside as if the belts won't move them.

It's still one of the better ways to get bait. Do note that stars drop far more frequently now. If you set up an underground base or break underground rocks it doesn't take long to get a ton of worms. Mix em and you get 35% bait which works ok.

Best bet is still going with fishing quests and crates.

One thing to say - I find that the guide to critter companionship is actually helpful here, for not killing the thing with your pick

Back
Top Bottom