Question [Idea/Question] Day/Night Timers for Star Hoik

With the mobile 1.2.3-4 update fast approaching, I've been acquiring a list of things I want to include in a world I will be building. One of them is the star hoik system from ZeroGravitas' item hoik tutorial.

While making the list, I had the idea of "Is it possible to make some sort of timer to actuate the star hoik on/off during the day/night cycle?"

Just curious if it's even possible, though it doesn't seem like it considering timers stop upon leaving the world.

It would be WAY easier to just activate it at 7:30pm then to go the collection point at 4:00 am and actuate them at 4:30 am.

The only current way to do what you ask would be with cascade timers, since neither mobs not npcs will be applicable if you go too far. Even then, the sheer size and complexity would make this completely unwieldly...

In the future PC updates, logic gates MAY allow one to do so more easily along with the dummy ghosts, but in mobile?

Not having dummies takes out so many possibilities :sigh:

While you could actuate a star hoik, why would you do that? Even on a small world, that'd be... well, a lot of actuators!

If you're trying to just be able to get through the hoik, I'd recommend just making actuated sections with independent switches. It would also allow you to attach to the hoik at those same points, making getting to the collection point a simple matter. Mobile has asphalt, right? Make the hoik out of that unless you plan on making a second hoik under it to go the opposite direction, asphalt's speed boost is invaluable if you're going in the opposite direction as the hoik.

True...

At first I thought it would just be kinda neat, but I thought about it more and it just seems clunky.

That many actuators and wire have a real cost too. Sure, you can always make more money, but you could probably find better uses for it too. On the one I made on PC I used a small actuated section, like @Talrey suggested, and I found it worked quite well.

The only thing I could come up with in my head is a 24 minute, hoik-based timer that actuates the track on or off at 9 of 15 (depending if you start it at dawn or dusk) and once more at 24. Without dummy ghosts, you'd have to use NPC's, which makes running it at night and starting its on world load tricky. Another issue is wire length is limited to 2000, so you'd have to have some sort for relay system for it to span the whole world. For the cost the actuators would cost , I think, ~16 plat, (16k at 10s a piece) and lets say wire is the same. So +32 plat for materials...kinda pricey. >_<

Even then, the sheer size and complexity would make this completely unwieldly...
Size? Complexity? Unwieldy? I care not for such things! lol I might try making this with dummy ghosts just to see if its possible

I'd always wanted a night timer to close all NPC doors but never figured it out. Dummies brought about some new ideas so here's a really rough concept build:
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 1.42.34 AM.png
During the day, activate the dummy which then goes into a hoik loop. The NPCs have plates spaced evenly (they're cut at the moment for a video). Normally they walk around and the outer plates flip teeth upwards to complete the loop. They'll go into the middle during the night which flips the teeth downwards and left. The left end teleporter has a switch which is the final output and it also sends the dummy back to its start.

A few issues:
When they teleport at night (if far away), I don't believe they trigger the plates so it would fail to output (but haven't tested that).
The track should involve more NPCs to decrease probability of them triggering accidentally, they did output a few times during testing in the day.
The hardest part would be that if there's an accidental trigger, it would be ideal to have some sort of delay to reset the dummy if someone moves within a certain time. Perhaps at the end where the output plate is would instead be another set of the same teeth and if someone moves, it flips teeth upwards to go back into the loop and if no one moves, it would flip downwards and left to the output plate. Can't really think of how at the moment though.

So all-in-all, it's not a great build but shows the concept, just needs a bunch of finesse.

I've managed to create a functional day/night sensor, but I'll post that in it's own thread tomorrow as I think something that substantial deserves it, so be looking forward to that:)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to bed (I'm in Australia :p).

Back
Top Bottom