Other (IDEA) Survival bots? More fun in your game!

Twichlove999

Eye of Cthulhu
I was playing terraria, and i found this mod on ark- the bushpeople mod...... They add bots that tame, craft, build and kill... And that inspired me.
Terraria is way less difficult to code. And that's why i want a mod for terraria that add bots that can kill enemies, summon bosses, craft, build and etc. :naughty:

• It will make your game way more fun
  • it will make fighting bosses easier and again..... more fun.
  • bots can help build npc buildings, mine ore. And best of all- summon bosses
  • This will help for people who's friends aren't online when you are.

If anyone can code and make this, i do not need ANY and i mean ANY credit ;(;(;(

I know there is a mod that adds npcs. but the npcs don't move or do anything except have text for speaking.

• It will make your game way more fun
  • it will make fighting bosses easier and again..... more fun.
  • bots can help build npc buildings, mine ore. And best of all- summon bosses
  • This will help for people who's friends aren't online when you are.
1. In what way does doing literally no work sound fun?
2. bosses are already easy enough.
3. I don't think you have much of an idea of how coding works. Building block by block would be really difficult to code. Mining wouldn't be as difficult, but still really hard. And, why do you need them to summon bosses? that's just a really strange thing to add to them.
4. Well then you get ahead of your friends and your friends have to catch up, that is assuming you are all doing a playthrough together. And believe me, bots can't serve as replacement friends.

I don't agree one bit with this idea, as you an play the whole game it seems without having to do much

No support

1. In what way does doing literally no work sound fun?
2. bosses are already easy enough.
3. I don't think you have much of an idea of how coding works. Building block by block would be really difficult to code. Mining wouldn't be as difficult, but still really hard. And, why do you need them to summon bosses? that's just a really strange thing to add to them.
4. Well then you get ahead of your friends and your friends have to catch up, that is assuming you are all doing a playthrough together. And believe me, bots can't serve as replacement friends.

I don't agree one bit with this idea, as you an play the whole game it seems without having to do much

No support
1, You don't get what im talking about i guess...... that applies to multiplayer as well... i want the bots to mimic actual players very closely, it will be LIKE another player, some bots are not friendly.... and will attack you if you have pvp on (should have mentioned it huh.) 2, bosses ARE easy enough..... but bots will buff the boss's hp just like normal players,3. I never said it was easy to code, it's just an idea. it's like raids.... once the bots get the required items and makes the summoning item- it will summon the boss, some npcs will tp to that npc and fight the boss and get the boss bag after killing the boss. you can also help the bots fight it (and of course, get the bag) 4. when your friends are busy with work/school.... it's really hard to not progress through the game, especially for the people who don't have alot of active friends.

Well. it's your opinion and i respect it :D

1, You don't get what im talking about i guess...... that applies to multiplayer as well... i want the bots to mimic actual players very closely, it will be LIKE another player, some bots are not friendly.... and will attack you if you have pvp on (should have mentioned it huh.) 2, bosses ARE easy enough..... but bots will buff the boss's hp just like normal players,3. I never said it was easy to code, it's just an idea. it's like raids.... once the bots get the required items and makes the summoning item- it will summon the boss, some npcs will tp to that npc and fight the boss and get the boss bag after killing the boss. you can also help the bots fight it (and of course, get the bag) 4. when your friends are busy with work/school.... it's really hard to not progress through the game, especially for the people who don't have alot of active friends.

Well. it's your opinion and i respect it :D
Well, I still stand by my points but okay

I looked over this and thought about it for a bit and wondered about this, so here is my verdict before I explain:
I do not want this added in the game in the form you have suggested.

Hear me out, there are various reasons why I chose this verdict and I shall explain.
My biggest problem with this is that you stated that you want the bots to "mimic actual players very closely," and the problem with this is that it would be damn near impossible to code for Terraria. You said that Terraria is easier to code, and while that can be mostly true, it does bring upon limitations for coding things into Terraria. The main reason it would probably actually be harder to code in a bot (that is player-like) in Terraria than a bot in ARK (of which you suggested was done before) is because each game handles AI differently, with Terraria most likely having to use more simple AI than something like ARK. On top of that, even if Terraria were capable of executing player-like AI, there would be the challenge of creating player-like AI in itself as the bot would have to be able to know about and react properly to almost every situation in the game possible, be able to decide whether or not to skip certain ores in caves based on its current gear and its current goal, and just plain out being able to fully explore complex caves efficiently by evaluating the dangers and what means it has to get passed said dangers and how dangerous each danger is for their current level of gear. The best way to actually do this would be to develop a neural-network that can learn how to play the game, but those are probably too complicated for a team of Re-Logic's size when you're dealing with a game of this depth and scale.

If somehow the bots are successfully implemented, I would like to point out another thing: How fun it would actually be. What makes Terraria fun when playing with friends is that you can communicate, talk, and react with each other while playing, and you wouldn't be able to do that with a bot (No one has successfully achieved making a bot be able to hold a GOOD human conversation). So, the bot basically in a sense would just be a tool that is really powerful if it is able to play the game on its own. The bot would be able to go out, mine and obtain things for you so that you can get stronger without actually challenging yourself and going through things that make Terraria fun. You mentioned that the game will become easier, which somehow makes the game more fun. I'd like to say this: A game that is easier than before doesn't mean that it's more fun in the long run. You may enjoy blasting through enemies with ease, but that can get old pretty fast while actually having to deal with them as a challenge can stay fun because you are mentally engaged during the challenge and you feel a sense of satisfaction when you complete the challenge. Now, you did mention that with bots that the health of bosses would increase like regular players do so, except that would only happen in Expert mode, where bosses are actually difficult. On normal mode bosses wouldn't increase their health. If you say that bots would be an exception then that doesn't make sense if your goal is to achieve bots that act similarly to players.

I am not against the idea of having bots in Terraria, but I think they should be simple, late game, and should actually just be robots that are helpful to the player (Like digging a hole down until a specified height or search and mine a specified block within a certain radius) but nothing complex. My problem with this is that it would be to difficult to code and wouldn't make the game more fun because bots can't replace people you can interact with socially and can only perform specified tasks. And anyways, if you were to achieve this goal of even just player-like behavior, don't you think you may have built something much more than a simple bot?

I looked over this and thought about it for a bit and wondered about this, so here is my verdict before I explain:
I do not want this added in the game in the form you have suggested.

Hear me out, there are various reasons why I chose this verdict and I shall explain.
My biggest problem with this is that you stated that you want the bots to "mimic actual players very closely," and the problem with this is that it would be damn near impossible to code for Terraria. You said that Terraria is easier to code, and while that can be mostly true, it does bring upon limitations for coding things into Terraria. The main reason it would probably actually be harder to code in a bot (that is player-like) in Terraria than a bot in ARK (of which you suggested was done before) is because each game handles AI differently, with Terraria most likely having to use more simple AI than something like ARK. On top of that, even if Terraria were capable of executing player-like AI, there would be the challenge of creating player-like AI in itself as the bot would have to be able to know about and react properly to almost every situation in the game possible, be able to decide whether or not to skip certain ores in caves based on its current gear and its current goal, and just plain out being able to fully explore complex caves efficiently by evaluating the dangers and what means it has to get passed said dangers and how dangerous each danger is for their current level of gear. The best way to actually do this would be to develop a neural-network that can learn how to play the game, but those are probably too complicated for a team of Re-Logic's size when you're dealing with a game of this depth and scale.

If somehow the bots are successfully implemented, I would like to point out another thing: How fun it would actually be. What makes Terraria fun when playing with friends is that you can communicate, talk, and react with each other while playing, and you wouldn't be able to do that with a bot (No one has successfully achieved making a bot be able to hold a GOOD human conversation). So, the bot basically in a sense would just be a tool that is really powerful if it is able to play the game on its own. The bot would be able to go out, mine and obtain things for you so that you can get stronger without actually challenging yourself and going through things that make Terraria fun. You mentioned that the game will become easier, which somehow makes the game more fun. I'd like to say this: A game that is easier than before doesn't mean that it's more fun in the long run. You may enjoy blasting through enemies with ease, but that can get old pretty fast while actually having to deal with them as a challenge can stay fun because you are mentally engaged during the challenge and you feel a sense of satisfaction when you complete the challenge. Now, you did mention that with bots that the health of bosses would increase like regular players do so, except that would only happen in Expert mode, where bosses are actually difficult. On normal mode bosses wouldn't increase their health. If you say that bots would be an exception then that doesn't make sense if your goal is to achieve bots that act similarly to players.

I am not against the idea of having bots in Terraria, but I think they should be simple, late game, and should actually just be robots that are helpful to the player (Like digging a hole down until a specified height or search and mine a specified block within a certain radius) but nothing complex. My problem with this is that it would be to difficult to code and wouldn't make the game more fun because bots can't replace people you can interact with socially and can only perform specified tasks. And anyways, if you were to achieve this goal of even just player-like behavior, don't you think you may have built something much more than a simple bot?
hmm..... you are right, i really just wanted the bots in terraria due to the fun times i had in the bushpeoples mod on ark. but you stand a good point.

i dont like the idea of them randomly summoning bosses. lol it would be annoying youre just chilling trying to craft stuff and randomly
*Bot #4 has summoned The Destroyer*
"huh"
*Dryad was slain*
*guide was slain*
*Merchant was slain*
*nurse was slain*
*Party girl was slain* (nooo ;( )
*Bot #2 was slain*
* Cassidy got head ripped off and was gutted by probe*
*Destroyer despawns*

i dont like the idea of them randomly summoning bosses. lol it would be annoying youre just chilling trying to craft stuff and randomly
*Bot #4 has summoned The Destroyer*
"huh"
*Dryad was slain*
*guide was slain*
*Merchant was slain*
*nurse was slain*
*Party girl was slain* (nooo ;( )
*Bot #2 was slain*
* Cassidy got head ripped off and was gutted by probe*
*Destroyer despawns*
they'll only spawn them if the bots are prepared well, it's more like- bot #2 has summoned the destroyer bot #1 teleported bot #3 teleported.
*Daedalus stormbow spam*
The destroyer has been defeated!

What if your not in that part of terraria for say- you haven’t killed planters or mech bosses/ but you killed wof ?

I see only a few things that bots can do without taking all the challenge away from a players:
  • Flattening surfaces to build houses on.
  • Sky building (because of damned distracting mobs, who somehow keep getting past my minions)
  • Restoring Jungle to its former glory after cleantaminating crimson/corruption (replacing dirt with mud takes ages)
These things, though, can be made more convenient even without bots with the help of hypothetical items:
Architect's Dream: acts like The Grand Design, except with blocks. Or probably just increases your block placement range to ungodly levels, allowing building and destroying anywhere on the screen.
Mudifier: name says it all, turns dirt into mud. Does not work on corruption or hallow (so you must cleantaminate them first)
I should probably get those into separate suggestion.

Is there potential in this idea? I say yeah but I mean they would need to be relatively hard to craft due to them being so versatile and I think some of these things it shouldn't do so that way the game inspires people to invite friends and play

Back
Top Bottom