Portfolio/Multi-Topic Ideas for changes and new content I've gathered over the years

Tsskyx

Terrarian
When 1.3 first came out, I started cataloging all the stuff I found bothersome about the game, or new ideas that I came up with while playing. I then forgot about this list of mine, and finally decided to revise and share it today. It's a mix of everything pretty much, hence why I'm posting it to the multi topic category. Also, most of the points here are rather simple; it's mostly nitpicks, nothing groundbreaking (except for one of them, heh). Also, I'm not sure if any of these have been implemented yet; I could check for each individual one, but eh...

Item names starting with the word "the" shouldn't contain it when carrying a prefix, or move it in front of the prefix.

The first one is just simple as that. I find name combinations such as "Deadly The Undertaker" a bit silly and mechanical, as if they were created using a badly designed random name generator.

Surface mushroom trees stop glowing when inventory is opened and auto-pause is on.

This next one appears to be a bug. With the auto-pause on, I've noticed that opening the inventory makes them stop glowing. Luckily, this isn't a game breaking bug, but it should still be considered. (Also, I've purged all world gen-related bugs from my list, such as heart crystals and chests generating partially stuck in the terrain, or the dungeon entrance generating incredibly high, or parts of the dungeon generating exposed and triggering the guardians upon approach, because I'm aware of them being known issues.)

Make the top of the dungeon unmineable, because of the cultists.

Here's the first groundbreaking idea, literally. Kinda like with the demon/crimson altars being indestructible until the player learns of their usefulness and the problems that arise with their absence, the very top layer of the dungeon floor (perhaps the entire "floor block"), should be unmineable, so that the cultists can always spawn. And then, as with the Golem, who drops the Picksaw, the Lunatic Cultist could drop a mining tool that would be able to mine these blocks.

Furthermore, I see two ways of approaching this: either a new unmineable block will be introduced, or the current blocks to be affected would receive a "curse" that would make them unmineable, which only the said mining tool would be able to breach and effectively mine them. And the said tool doesn't necessarily have to be a new pick stronger than any of the previous ones, it doesn't have to be power-based at all. It could very well be just a simple Nightmare/Deathbringer pickaxe, but "enchanted" to be capable of breaching this curse (come to think of it, perhaps the tools to mine dungeon blocks should be obtainable only from the dungeon after Skeletron is defeated, be it through an item found in the dungeon, crafted using dungeon materials, or dropped by Skeletron itself; I dislike the idea of the dungeon being mineable so early in the game, I guess).

In other words, a whole new pickaxe may not be needed; after all, it's just for mining one specific type of block. Though, the luminite pickaxes should definitely be able to mine these blocks (or even better yet, instead of adding this item, make the luminite pickaxes be the first ones to be able to mine this block, so that the player must defeat the Moon Lord at least once to be able to prevent the cultists from respawning).

Wings

Oh dear, this one. I saw some posts about this already, on Reddit I think. Unlike the world gen bugs, this one would be a lot easier to fix. I believe the wings should give flight bonus proportional to the stage of the game in which they can be obtained. They could still vary between each other, but generally, wings obtainable in early hardmode should be objectively worse than those obtainable upon defeating one mechanical boss, which should be objectively worse than those obtainable after the mech boss trio completion, which would be outclassed by post-Plantera wings, then post-Golem wings and finally, the lunar event wings. Also, perhaps Red's Wings, which I've heard had to have a certain feature removed once they were made obtainable, could have that feature once again, provided they'd drop solely from the Moon Lord expert treasure bag. I mean, why not? It'd certainly be a better reward than the Gravity Globe (also, on this topic, why not have treasure bags in normal mode too? Of course, these would not drop the expert items, but it could still be a nice aesthetic feature.)

Blindfold in worlds with crimson

Another short one. The blindfold can be a bit more difficult to obtain in crimson worlds, since only one type of enemy drops them. Let the Crimslimes drop it too. In general, any such generic item should be obtainable on any world through the same means, which means it should exist and be found in both variants of the world's evil. Why make the players grind more if they have a specific world evil assigned? What does such limitation accomplish? It's not like they can't get it at all.

Effects of sandstorms on the rest of the world

Previously, I thought it was a bit weird that sandstorms don't necessarily have to happen when it's raining, when its enemies are akin to the blizzard's enemies, but now I'm getting a new idea. With the new upcoming windy day feature, wouldn't it make sense for sandstorms to happen when it's a windy day? Also, one more sandstorm-related idea I'm getting, what if in hard mode, the sands could shift? Imagine it, corrupted sands just spreading across the world, infecting it. Perhaps, this could be an expert mode thing only, if not a universal one. Though a note: the sands wouldn't teleport, only shift, so building a wall would sufficiently stop them from advancing.

Frost armor should be craftable directly from Adamantite/Titanium armor pieces.

I found this rather annoying. There usually isn't enough Adamantite/Titanium on small worlds to craft both sets, or rather, it's difficult to farm that much of it. It should be possible to simply take the said armor and craft the Frost Armor out of it. Also, I don't wish this to stay the way it is because "you can fish for the ore too". I mean yes, but then my question is, why should ore spawn underground at all, when you can simply fish for it? As long as there's a finite amount of Adamantite/Titanium to be found underground, I'd like this to be a feature. Actually, I kinda dislike the ability to fish for hard mode ores in the first place, as it makes it possible to avoid that entire early hardmode ordeal with it.

The unicorn mount should be wider.

It's cca 4 tiles wide, yet it can drop down 2 tile wide shafts. I can accept gold being stronger than iron, but THIS???

Key molds

Oh dear, another touchy topic. I loved the idea. I loved that the joy from obtaining a rare item would get crushed the moment you realize the journey isn't over yet, that you're still required to actually craft the key. Though, there was a fair point, there's 5 biome chests in total. You'd need to defeat Plantera 5 times in order to get all the biome chest items. So how about this: a mold requires some sort of a molding material, correct? So the idea of combining them with a pre-existing key is kinda silly. How about forging the keys through combining the molds and some chlorophyte bricks, using the Lihzahrd furnace? (Which would metaphorically melt the bricks and cast the said key out of them.) Also, one more idea: a desert biome chest.

The guide should give more tips for hardmode, and more tips in general.

Nothing else to say here.

Hardmode drills and chainsaws

I don't see why there's a lesser alternative to the so very awesome pickaxes at all. I understand these items were in the game before the pickaxes, but then again, why keep them? I also understand you can click very fast to mine more quickly with the drills, but does this truly justify their existence? But to be honest, I found the idea interesting, for hard mode to be more "mechanically" orientated. And so, I actually don't understand why hardmode pickaxes became a thing in the first place. I've heard people disliked the sound of the drills, but come on, that could have been easily changed. I'd gladly accept them, if it meant for them to have the same effect on blocks as the pickaxes, that is, mining progress to be dictated not by clicks, but by the time spent mining, and also if it meant they could carry pickaxe prefixes. Same for the chainsaws.

Small items, regardless of their purpose, should be stackable.

I've noted this with the pirate map. It's a non-stackable item. Why? Because it's a summoning item? I like that, I like summoning invasions and all, but it's clogging up my chests. Certain items should simply be stackable. Also, on the topic of event and boss summoning items, they should all be crafted at the demon altar. This includes the Nasty Present and the Pumpkin Moon Medallion.

Why is the avenger emblem still crafted at the tinkerer's workshop?

It's no longer combining accessories now, right? It's just one accessory, plus a bunch of souls. I reckon a regular crafting station would be more fitting in that case.

The Obsidian Rose is totally useless.

Maybe it could work better as a flame-inflicting accessory, rather than an anti-magma one? Furthermore, on the topic of useless stuff, how about adding in, that the gladiator armor makes the Medusa passive? That is, it won't notice the player, unless the player does something unusual, e.g. attacks it, flies, or uses a "non-standard" weapon (anything besides the Javelin).

Shield of Cthulhu and Brain of Confusion should be combineable.

I think it would be a nice idea to combine the two. Perhaps the new item could be called the "shield of confusion", or something like that.

Pink prickly pear's sprite on top of hallowed cacti still features a green cactus behind it.

Another aesthetic nitpick. Don't know if this one has been fixed already.

When throwing more than 4 light discs, it sounds like one more is being thrown.

If you hold the 4 light discs for a bit longer, but not long enough to throw a 5th one, you can trigger the sound of it being thrown a 5th time, and similarly, the frequency of this sound for all 5 discs sounds like 6 instead of 5.

Add a Golden Key to the Key of Night/Light's crafting recipe.

It definitely feels a bit raw, for these items to be craftable without any "model" key to be included in their recipe. Or maybe a Shadow Key? Although that would require the Shadow Key to be farmable.

For conveince, the bits I am reffering to will be in blue.
When 1.3 first came out, I started cataloging all the stuff I found bothersome about the game, or new ideas that I came up with while playing. I then forgot about this list of mine, and finally decided to revise and share it today. It's a mix of everything pretty much, hence why I'm posting it to the multi topic category. Also, most of the points here are rather simple; it's mostly nitpicks, nothing groundbreaking (except for one of them, heh). Also, I'm not sure if any of these have been implemented yet; I could check for each individual one, but eh...

Item names starting with the word "the" shouldn't contain it when carrying a prefix, or move it in front of the prefix.

The first one is just simple as that. I find name combinations such as "Deadly The Undertaker" a bit silly and mechanical, as if they were created using a badly designed random name generator.

Surface mushroom trees stop glowing when inventory is opened and auto-pause is on.

This next one appears to be a bug. With the auto-pause on, I've noticed that opening the inventory makes them stop glowing. Luckily, this isn't a game breaking bug, but it should still be considered. (Also, I've purged all world gen-related bugs from my list, such as heart crystals and chests generating partially stuck in the terrain, or the dungeon entrance generating incredibly high, or parts of the dungeon generating exposed and triggering the guardians upon approach, because I'm aware of them being known issues.)

Make the top of the dungeon unmineable, because of the cultists.

Here's the first groundbreaking idea, literally. Kinda like with the demon/crimson altars being indestructible until the player learns of their usefulness and the problems that arise with their absence, the very top layer of the dungeon floor (perhaps the entire "floor block"), should be unmineable, so that the cultists can always spawn. And then, as with the Golem, who drops the Picksaw, the Lunatic Cultist could drop a mining tool that would be able to mine these blocks.

Furthermore, I see two ways of approaching this: either a new unmineable block will be introduced, or the current blocks to be affected would receive a "curse" that would make them unmineable, which only the said mining tool would be able to breach and effectively mine them. And the said tool doesn't necessarily have to be a new pick stronger than any of the previous ones, it doesn't have to be power-based at all. It could very well be just a simple Nightmare/Deathbringer pickaxe, but "enchanted" to be capable of breaching this curse (come to think of it, perhaps the tools to mine dungeon blocks should be obtainable only from the dungeon after Skeletron is defeated, be it through an item found in the dungeon, crafted using dungeon materials, or dropped by Skeletron itself; I dislike the idea of the dungeon being mineable so early in the game, I guess).

In other words, a whole new pickaxe may not be needed; after all, it's just for mining one specific type of block. Though, the luminite pickaxes should definitely be able to mine these blocks (or even better yet, instead of adding this item, make the luminite pickaxes be the first ones to be able to mine this block, so that the player must defeat the Moon Lord at least once to be able to prevent the cultists from respawning).

Wings

Oh dear, this one. I saw some posts about this already, on Reddit I think. Unlike the world gen bugs, this one would be a lot easier to fix. I believe the wings should give flight bonus proportional to the stage of the game in which they can be obtained. They could still vary between each other, but generally, wings obtainable in early hardmode should be objectively worse than those obtainable upon defeating one mechanical boss, which should be objectively worse than those obtainable after the mech boss trio completion, which would be outclassed by post-Plantera wings, then post-Golem wings and finally, the lunar event wings. Also, perhaps Red's Wings, which I've heard had to have a certain feature removed once they were made obtainable, could have that feature once again, provided they'd drop solely from the Moon Lord expert treasure bag. I mean, why not? It'd certainly be a better reward than the Gravity Globe (also, on this topic, why not have treasure bags in normal mode too? Of course, these would not drop the expert items, but it could still be a nice aesthetic feature.)

Blindfold in worlds with crimson

Another short one. The blindfold can be a bit more difficult to obtain in crimson worlds, since only one type of enemy drops them. Let the Crimslimes drop it too. In general, any such generic item should be obtainable on any world through the same means, which means it should exist and be found in both variants of the world's evil. Why make the players grind more if they have a specific world evil assigned? What does such limitation accomplish? It's not like they can't get it at all.

Effects of sandstorms on the rest of the world

Previously, I thought it was a bit weird that sandstorms don't necessarily have to happen when it's raining, when its enemies are akin to the blizzard's enemies, but now I'm getting a new idea. With the new upcoming windy day feature, wouldn't it make sense for sandstorms to happen when it's a windy day? Also, one more sandstorm-related idea I'm getting, what if in hard mode, the sands could shift? Imagine it, corrupted sands just spreading across the world, infecting it. Perhaps, this could be an expert mode thing only, if not a universal one. Though a note: the sands wouldn't teleport, only shift, so building a wall would sufficiently stop them from advancing.

Frost armor should be craftable directly from Adamantite/Titanium armor pieces.

I found this rather annoying. There usually isn't enough Adamantite/Titanium on small worlds to craft both sets, or rather, it's difficult to farm that much of it. It should be possible to simply take the said armor and craft the Frost Armor out of it. Also, I don't wish this to stay the way it is because "you can fish for the ore too". I mean yes, but then my question is, why should ore spawn underground at all, when you can simply fish for it? As long as there's a finite amount of Adamantite/Titanium to be found underground, I'd like this to be a feature. Actually, I kinda dislike the ability to fish for hard mode ores in the first place, as it makes it possible to avoid that entire early hardmode ordeal with it.

The unicorn mount should be wider.

It's cca 4 tiles wide, yet it can drop down 2 tile wide shafts. I can accept gold being stronger than iron, but THIS???

Key molds

Oh dear, another touchy topic. I loved the idea. I loved that the joy from obtaining a rare item would get crushed the moment you realize the journey isn't over yet, that you're still required to actually craft the key. Though, there was a fair point, there's 5 biome chests in total. You'd need to defeat Plantera 5 times in order to get all the biome chest items. So how about this: a mold requires some sort of a molding material, correct? So the idea of combining them with a pre-existing key is kinda silly. How about forging the keys through combining the molds and some chlorophyte bricks, using the Lihzahrd furnace? (Which would metaphorically melt the bricks and cast the said key out of them.) Also, one more idea: a desert biome chest.

The guide should give more tips for hardmode, and more tips in general.

Nothing else to say here.

Hardmode drills and chainsaws

I don't see why there's a lesser alternative to the so very awesome pickaxes at all. I understand these items were in the game before the pickaxes, but then again, why keep them? I also understand you can click very fast to mine more quickly with the drills, but does this truly justify their existence? But to be honest, I found the idea interesting, for hard mode to be more "mechanically" orientated. And so, I actually don't understand why hardmode pickaxes became a thing in the first place. I've heard people disliked the sound of the drills, but come on, that could have been easily changed. I'd gladly accept them, if it meant for them to have the same effect on blocks as the pickaxes, that is, mining progress to be dictated not by clicks, but by the time spent mining, and also if it meant they could carry pickaxe prefixes. Same for the chainsaws.

Small items, regardless of their purpose, should be stackable.

I've noted this with the pirate map. It's a non-stackable item. Why? Because it's a summoning item? I like that, I like summoning invasions and all, but it's clogging up my chests. Certain items should simply be stackable. Also, on the topic of event and boss summoning items, they should all be crafted at the demon altar. This includes the Nasty Present and the Pumpkin Moon Medallion.

Why is the avenger emblem still crafted at the tinkerer's workshop?

It's no longer combining accessories now, right? It's just one accessory, plus a bunch of souls. I reckon a regular crafting station would be more fitting in that case.

The Obsidian Rose is totally useless.

Maybe it could work better as a flame-inflicting accessory, rather than an anti-magma one? Furthermore, on the topic of useless stuff, how about adding in, that the gladiator armor makes the Medusa passive? That is, it won't notice the player, unless the player does something unusual, e.g. attacks it, flies, or uses a "non-standard" weapon (anything besides the Javelin).

Shield of Cthulhu and Brain of Confusion should be combineable.

I think it would be a nice idea to combine the two. Perhaps the new item could be called the "shield of confusion", or something like that.

Pink prickly pear's sprite on top of hallowed cacti still features a green cactus behind it.

Another aesthetic nitpick. Don't know if this one has been fixed already.

When throwing more than 4 light discs, it sounds like one more is being thrown.

If you hold the 4 light discs for a bit longer, but not long enough to throw a 5th one, you can trigger the sound of it being thrown a 5th time, and similarly, the frequency of this sound for all 5 discs sounds like 6 instead of 5.

Add a Golden Key to the Key of Night/Light's crafting recipe.

It definitely feels a bit raw, for these items to be craftable without any "model" key to be included in their recipe. Or maybe a Shadow Key? Although that would require the Shadow Key to be farmable.
Whaling on Plantera with stronger gear and looking for another bulb, building around it, and so on is generally unfun.

For example... (doot doot doot doot doot doot)

Every tinker makes the game objectively easier without an additional counterweight (working to get the upgrade, it not being a full on addition, etc)

Redundant grinding in easy places is generally frowned upon

Back
Top Bottom