Ideas for new custom classes

LadyLone

Steampunker
I separated this from a thread I posted on mods that add custom classes due to length and to better focus the discussions. I was thinking of possibly a new class, an aura class, that deals aura damage. The idea behind this class would be an aura that surrounds the player that deals damage to enemies and likely debuffs them in different ways. Think of the buff from the Inferno Potion, but something like that made into a weapon class. Would it really be that much different from minions that stay close to you? Is this really worthy of a class? What could armor and accessories for the class do, increase the aura size?

What about using such a class with other classes? Oh sure, with minions, you always have at least one slot so you could have a single minion out while using melee, ranged, magic, or throwing weapons. However minions can cause enemy hit immunity which could mess up the DPS of your other weapons. Also you need armor, accessories, and buffs to get more than one minion to really focus on using them. A single minion with no summon damage bonuses doesn’t really do much damage at all. By comparison, what’s to stop an aura class from not always being more effective when used with other class weapons? There seems like there would be no benefit from only using an aura weapon and nothing else. Maybe the weapon would have to be channeled instead of casting it and having it stay on till canceled or replaced. What if you could have more than one active aura through aura slots, although only one per weapon?

What it even be worth an entire class and not simply a few more buff potions or even accessories to use with anything else? Again, would it simply be much more different than minions that stick close to you to justify as a whole new class? Although unlike minions, the aura would always be centered on you and can react to everything in range at once while minions have to single out targets. Ultimately you would have to be close enough to enemies for long enough to kill them. Does that sound fun? Is it really a new playstyle?

Anyone have ideas for another class that could add a whole new playstyle and not something that could fit into one of the five vanilla classes? If it's not too complex it could give me something new to attempt to mod. Then again anyone could feel free to mod whatever suggestions come up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom