Biomes & Nature Ideas for Underground Desert

Superlife

Terrarian
So, as most of us know, the underground desert is about to receive a big update and revamp. Well, I thought I'd squeeze in the gap between the now released 7/20 update and the later released 1.3.3.

Lets start off with one of the coolest additions to the 1.3.2 update, being able to choose your poison once you reach hardmode for your other worlds. That's pretty tight, and I'll get into why this is cool later. For now let me start off by saying, choosing to create a new world is still choosing 1 or the other. But why not both? Again, confusing since the top up there says "Ideas for the Underground Desert". Well, my friend Suncrisp and I came up with a pretty neat idea, to include a sort of "ancient biome" aspect to the desert. Like, what if the desert itself was once the other worldly corruption or crimson, but has long since decayed and dried up?

For example, If you have a crimson plaguing your world, it's discovered the reason it takes it reign because the Corruption was destroyed at one point in the world's time and became a barren landscape. Vise versa for our worlds filled with Corruption with the there lack of Crimson. The choice of which evil you want is amazing, but why not have both?

For this I recommend a possible intertwining of the items found in those biomes possibly having "ancient" aspects to them. Take this for example. You want a magical based combat run, but you find yourself wanting a Crimson. Well we can't receive the Mana Regeneration Band in those worlds...yet. Or how about wanting to have the Panic Necklace, Crimson Rod, Undertaker, etc, but you choose to have Corruption. That requires you to make a new world to receive those items. And if most people get where I'm going with this, there are literally thousands of worlds that exist at this moment in the cloud and on our hard drives that exist solely because we wanted the best of both worlds. *Cue that old song*

At this point you get it, you're probably thinking, "Yea, but what about the bosses?" Well that's what's coming next. Well, the Corruption has our friend the Eater of Worlds. Well, he ain't eating many worlds in this scenario I'm painting. And the Brain isn't doing...whatever it was doing. I don't know, thinking? Well imagine the Eater has become a fossilized strand of bones and is resurrected by collecting "Dried Flesh" from chests here? Then taking them to an ancient *If your turning that word into a drinking game, your at about 4* altar or perhaps even the regular ones from your worlds current Corruption/Crimson and you create something like "Withered Worm Bait" where you could bring forth a fight with this colossal skeleton worm *they don't have bones?* that you would receive boss loot from expert mode along with the standard ores from their respective origins. Thus providing players with the ability to create a variant of Shadow Armor and tools instead of Crimtane Armor and tools.

The brain could be a mummified, wrapped up husk of it's former glory and in similar fashion you could fight him and receive Crimtane and expert loot (If in expert of course). I don't feel the need to explain this as much because it's in similar fashion to the example above. But moving on, maybe the desert might contain ancient *Drink* caves where you could smash "Withered Hearts" or "Cracked Shadow Orbs" to find their original items.

All in all it's a simple addition that makes it to where you get a little taste of Column A while having the towering Column B. Let me know what you think and if you like the idea give it a like, maybe even write a comment adding on things you may like or maybe things that could change!

Keep on digging.

-Superlife

Would the mummy brain and skeleton worm have equal or greater power?
Maybe 500 or so health weaker than their flesh conterparts. Considering they are from a long time ago. But in reality I'd say if you want the benefits of the other items, they should actually be stronger. Being asleep and entombed in the desert waiting to revive could be why. But in gameplay wise, if you want both you should have to fight harder for those other worldly items. So maybe 1000+ health versus their other versions would be best I feel.

Back
Top Bottom