Game Mechanics Ideas from a PC Terraria ‘Veteran’ - for console

Glare

Terrarian
It’s been a long, long time since I last visited this forum.
I visit now to add some suggestions to make the console build better.

I’ve been playing Terraria since not too long after it came out. I learned of its existence when I saw a specific Good Game Spawn Point episode where DARREN gave his ‘5 Top Tips for Terraria’ - an episode that aired all the way back in 2011, if memory serves.
This was way way back. As far back as the time when different walls didn’t merge together. A time when there was only one type of ‘wood’. A time when wooden platforms were your only option for climbing out.

So I think I deserve the title of ‘veteran’. But don’t let that hold any merit. I’m really saying that I’m a PC veteran because I’ve played Terraria the whole time I’ve had it, on PC, for a long time.

A few hours ago I purchased Terraria on PS4. My PC is busted and I need to get a new one soon, but until then I can’t play Terraria on a computer.
I ultimately decided to purchase it on console because I couldn’t stand to be separated from this masterpiece any longer.

Off of my history and such, I’ll finally get to my ideas to make console better:
  • Hotbar Radial (for PS4 and Xbox) - I’ve played on my PC with a PS4 controller, and I have to say, it actually has a lot more versatility there than console does. For one, console doesn’t have the radial hotbar that PC does, brought up when holding one of the buttons to navigate the hotbar. This should be added to console to make it more worthwhile.
  • Potion Radial (for PS4 and Xbox) - Same with the Hotbar Radial, this was also there on the PC build of Terraria when I used a controller. This one was brought up by holding the other Hotbar select button, and gave the options of Quick Buff, Quick Heal, and Quick Mana. This is also lacking in the console build - this forces us to have to consume potions from the hotbar one at a time to buff ourselves. Same goes for healing and mana. The only other way to quick-potion is to bind the function to a button, which will sacrifice our ability to use that button for its original purpose.
  • Touchpad Usage (for PS4) - It should be worth noting, PS4 is my main gaming platform, but I do prefer to play some games on PC. Terraria is one among many. The one peeve I have with PS4, or at least the devs who ignore the particular detail put right there on the front of the controller, is that the touchpad sees almost no use in any game. Sony were onto something big putting a touchpad on the controller, but unfortunately, with almost no game devs utilising it, the touchpad is nothing but an oversized Select button. I’ve only seen it get utility in older games, Far Cry 4 from 2014 being the most recent that I know of as it lets PS4 users quickly switch weapons and throwables by swiping in the directions of their Radial locations, and even EXCLUSIVES don’t utilise the touchpad that much. It’d be great if we could use the touchpad for more functions. Perhaps it could be possible to release an update that allows us to bind specific directional swipes of the touchpad. If the above suggestion for ‘Potion Radial’ isn’t accepted, then I would personally bind touchpad swipes for Quick Buff and such. Even make it so that we can use the left and right halves separately, which gives us a grand total of eight (or 16 if we’d go diagonal too) more ‘keys’ to bind controls to. Or alternatively make one half stay as the button press to open the big map, and the other half to function for the swipes.
  • Binding Actions to HOLDING buttons (for PS4 and Xbox) - It would be great if we could bind alternate functions to the same button, of which would be triggered if the button was held. Such being that I would love to be able to bind ‘Quick Mount’ to be Hold Square, and have ‘Quick Heal’ in place of Tap Square.
  • Deactivating Buffs (for PS4 and Xbox) - PC, using the mouse cursor, allows us to use it to deactivate buffs that we have on our character. I could Quick Buff myself and then right-click on a Buff I don’t want to keep. On console, we can’t do that. It’d be lovely if we could deactivate buffs on the console build too. I don’t know how we’d be able to do it though.
  • Quickselect D-Pad (for PS4 and Xbox) - PC’s default controller setup also allows us to set the D-pad to quickselect a slot in the inventory. This doesn’t even end up exclusive to the hotbar - I could hover over a certain slot in my Inventory and bind it as a quickselect, put a weapon in there, and Favourite the weapon so it doesn’t get moved. I could even put a resource there to keep the count of how much I have. I’d like to suggest this be added to the game in some way. But it should not replace the ability to move the Manual Cursor block-by-block. Perhaps integrating this into the previous suggestion of Hotbar Radial, or Potion Radial, where we bring up one of the Radial menus and press the D-pad button to use the Quickselected item in the determined slot. Off of using Inventory slots themselves, maybe we could put items directly into these D-pad locations. It’d give us an effective four extra inventory slots though, so I doubt this would come through.
  • Lock-on (for PS4 and Xbox) - PC build gives us the ability to lock on to enemies with a button press. Our Terrarian would then fire their ranged or throwing weapon or magic, or whatever projectile-wise at the Enemy. The one stipulation to this is that the Terrarian doesn’t compensate for projectile travel, drop, and velocity, so at longer ranges, the arrows from our bows would miss because the Terrarian fires at them directly instead of compensating for the factors. I’d like to suggest a Lock-On function. It is easy to argue that controllers are more difficult to use for aiming than a mouse and keyboard, so this would help console players to take the edge off, especially if the factors like projectile travel and drop compensation are made to be accounted for.
  • Quick-use Consumables from Inventory (for PS4 and Xbox) - On PC... I don’t specifically remember which button it was, but if I’m not wrong, right-clicking on a consumable or usable item in your inventory would use the item instantly. No need to drop it in the hotbar to select and then use it. This is missing on console as the only items that I’ve seen so far (only barely started playing the worlds) are Herb Bags - ‘Press L2 to Open’. This should be added to console as well, perhaps with the same method as Herb Bag, or maybe changing it to ‘Hold L2 to Use’.

I would love to continue playing Terraria on the console build. These are more Quality of Life than full-on gamechangers, but without these abilities, even the PC version is effectively superior to the console version when played with a controller.
I hope that these are taken into consideration for future console updates to come.

Much obliged for your time and attention.
Be safe; Terraria needs you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom