IDG's Ultimate Modded Content Mod Tier List

I rate mods based on everything about them, Alchemist NPC is pretty much a standard for people who want potions easily these days. Is it overpowered? Sure, but it's still enjoyable non the less
It was the first mod to do so, so it ultimately got popular because of it, people still use it because it does its QoL elements pretty well.
That's why I gave it a B, despite the bosses and some of the other content being, meh or eh at best
B is above average, though. The added content AlchemNPC adds brings the mod down by a lot to most people who just want the potions and crap.

B is above average, though. The added content AlchemNPC adds brings the mod down by a lot to most people who just want the potions and crap.
My review accounted for the Lite Version as well, which I did point out if you didn't like the extra content
AFKpets lost points because it doesn't have a version like that

Might seem a bit cheating to account for an alt version of a mod, but I did so with Amongst the Cosmos's older version and no one made a deal out of that

My review accounted for the Lite Version as well, which I did point out if you didn't like the extra content
AFKpets lost points because it doesn't have a version like that

Might seem a bit cheating to account for an alt version of a mod, but I did so with Amongst the Cosmos's older version and no one made a deal out of that
Honestly you should rate one or the other, not both.

Honestly you should rate one or the other, not both.
I still don't see the big deal here, Apotheosis and friends and doesn't have anything of real value and it's a mod that's meant to be a bad :red:post, Tell me why I shouldn't give it an E- if you feel that's unfair?

Also I will infact only judge Fargo's Souls when I get to that, since only the souls part has the bosses, but unlike Alchemist NPC both of Fargos mods are pretty much 2 completely different entities: one is not a stripped down version of the other.

I still don't see the big deal here, Apotheosis and friends and doesn't have anything of real value and it's a mod that's meant to be a bad :red:post, Tell me why I shouldn't give it an E- if you feel that's unfair?

Also I will infact only judge Fargo's Souls when I get to that, since only the souls part has the bosses, but unlike Alchemist NPC both of Fargos mods are pretty much 2 completely different entities.
IDRC about Apotheosis and Friends getting an E-, it's just that I don't understand what makes AlchemistNPC B-worthy.

IDRC about Apotheosis and Friends getting an E-, it's just that I don't understand what makes AlchemistNPC B-worthy.
Even if we don't account for the Lite Version, the extra content it does have isn't half bad, I like the armors this mod adds, it has some really good accessories, and it does the extra content far better than other mods of its type do-in the least cluster:red: way possible.

The tiering is based on my opinion of course, if you feel it should get a lower grade, that's your opinion, but in my opinion, I think (most of) the extra content is decent to pretty good, not all of it is thou of course.

EDIT: B is above average, AlchemistNPC is in my opnion, an above average mod, simply put, and rated so.

Even if we don't account for the Lite Version, the extra content it does have isn't half bad, I like the armors this mod adds, it has some really good accessories, and it does the extra content far better than other mods of its type do-in the least cluster:red: way possible.

The tiering is based on my opinion of course, if you feel it should get a lower grade, that's your opinion, but in my opinion, I think (most of) the extra content is decent to pretty good, not all of it is thou of course.
Well, first of all, the extra content is completely unneeded. The point of the mod was to introduce extra NPCs for QoL purposes. Advertising your mod as such while adding more isn't the best idea. If they wanted to add more content, they should have made an addon that added more, not having to make a second mod to deliver on what the first mod promises.

Secondly, I don't understand how someone can consider Ugandan Knuckles and Bill Cipher good additions to the game. Some of the extra content isn't terrible, but the mod is way too bloated for its own good.

Well, first of all, the extra content is completely unneeded. The point of the mod was to introduce extra NPCs for QoL purposes. Advertising your mod as such while adding more isn't the best idea. If they wanted to add more content, they should have made an addon that added more, not having to make a second mod to deliver on what the first mod promises.

Secondly, I don't understand how someone can consider Ugandan Knuckles and Bill Cipher good additions to the game. Some of the extra content isn't terrible, but the mod is way too bloated for its own good.
I never said they were good additions, if the mod had a decent boss, and not the extra content, it would have likely scored even higher
but it didn't, I seriously find it puzzling you arn't questioning me rating Amongst the Cosmos much lower because of what the dev didn't do to help his mod

Fine thou, I'll move the mod to a B-, it's still a good mod, but the bloat was clearly enough of a problem to warrent a lite version

I never said they were good additions, if the mod had a decent boss, and not the extra content, it would have likely scored even higher
but it didn't, I seriously find it puzzling you arn't questioning me rating Amongst the Cosmos much lower because of what the dev didn't do to help his mod

Fine thou, I'll move the mod to a B-, it's still a good mod, but the bloat was clearly enough of a problem to warrent a lite version
I have never played with Amongst the Cosmos and have no interest in it, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding the fact that you never called them good additions, I feel like having 2 bosses are pretty dominant features for a mod. Especially ones like Alchemist NPC. Ignoring them and focusing on some accessories is a pretty weird way of reviewing/rating a mod.

I have never played with Amongst the Cosmos and have no interest in it, so I can't comment on that.

Regarding the fact that you never called them good additions, I feel like having 2 bosses are pretty dominant features for a mod. Especially ones like Alchemist NPC. Ignoring them and focusing on some accessories is a pretty weird way of reviewing/rating a mod.
I made having to have atleast 1 boss a requirement, there's a few mods I wanted to cover, but they don't have a boss, so I can't
I did list them thou for a possible honorable mentions later on

The next mod on the list is likely the worst mod on the entire list, so lets just get this over with

I made having to have atleast 1 boss a requirement, there's a few mods I wanted to cover, but they don't have a boss, so I can't
I did list them thou for a possible honorable mentions later on

The next mod on the list is likely the worst mod on the entire list, so lets just get this over with
I don't think you got my point. I'm trying to say that including 2 bosses that aren't even good should definitely negate a large amount of points since bosses are such a dominant feature in most content mods. Having poor bosses definitely lowers the overall quality of content mods.

I don't think you got my point. I'm trying to say that including 2 bosses that aren't even good should definitely negate a large amount of points since bosses are such a dominant feature in most content mods. Having poor bosses definitely lowers the overall quality of content mods.
Fine you make a good point, I'll lower the rating again

#8: Archaea
by @TerrorPenguin @Duze @warrenmark_art (Full Credits section here)

This mod... I feel that what I am about to say is not going to be fair, as I cannot comprehend why this mod is the way it is. So lets start from the beginning:

This mods adds a biome, it adds some enemies, ores, and gems, and from the looks of it, looks great, they even have a website!

But then, you join the game, there's no documentation what the HUD on your screen is about, there's a massive fortress thing in the sky for no reason, there's a massive wall tiling in the upper left corner of the world. Ok?

Then every enemy has no death sounds, there's some glitched sprites, and speaking of which: Alot of enemies, items, and even 1 of the bosses is just a white box, yeah the sprites are white boxes for some reason. Are these like placeholder sprites or something?

Something... went wrong with this mod, it's effectively broken and I have no idea why. But being that this is one of those "discord" mods I'm... still surprised. The real final kick to the bucket was the last post in the forum page where owner was asking if people would record demo footage of the mod, they can't be serious about this right?

Simply put:
F

Broken, non-functional, and devs who rather just couldn't care to the mod's issues.

I hadn't joined the discords, but for anyone who has, please feel free to update and correct me as I feel this tiering is likely unfair, but is still just my opinion.

EDIT: used some slightly different words to try to be less offensive, a very flawed tiering indeed. You can see the original quote in the post below, would seem to be a mod that released, but didn't really ever go anywhere.
I know other mods like this, but without the release part, which seem to be in dev hell, not ready to rest in peace just yet. This mod however is.

Last edited:
Simply put:
F
Yep, I agree entirely
We've tried a few times to start up work on the mod again, but it never really goes anywhere. I've been considering just locking the thread and pronouncing it dead.
Broken, non-functional, and devs who seem to be ignorant to the mod's issues.
Not ignorant, just none of us are really active working on the mod to fix issues.

Yep, I agree entirely
We've tried a few times to start up work on the mod again, but it never really goes anywhere. I've been considering just locking the thread and pronouncing it dead.

Not ignorant, just none of us are really active working on the mod to fix issues.
I realize in hindsight my wording was rather poor, but that's me judging the mod at face value without knowing too much about the devs
I was aware the last time the github was updated was 2 years ago...
I'll correct that part of my review and use less aggressive words, but I guess that's my frustration leaking over with this mod

As for locking the thread I say go for it if you wish, should in come to it, it could just be unlocked, or you could make a new one, or neither; you have options afterwords on what you want to do.

What was up with the one dev asking for video footage thou? Why would anyone ask for a review of a clearly... not ready mod?

Not sure, not a whole lot of communication either which is part of why the mod is such a mess.
That fair and about right given what has been previously said about the mod

I could only imagine how messy this is, but I can't say I would know, I don't run my mod this way (it's largely a 1 man coder show where others chip in sprites, music, and such, then chip out, there's practically only 1 dev and everyone else is a contributor. It isn't perfect of course, the discord still needed moderators to deal with incoming traffics and the 2 I have found have been fantastic at that thankfully, but plus I get my fair share of spriters going inactive and having to find new ones, I only improved my coding side to help counter this pitfall in Terraria modding)

There is one other thing thou about Archaea that makes it slightly unique, and that's a custom website. Just a shame it didn't go any further
Sorry about all that

#9: Beyond the Forgotten Ages
by @Hamboy39 @zoroarkcity (@East) @ActuallyImTurquoise @Terry N. Muse @Godslayer @gratgaisdead (Full credits can be found here)

Getting into the first letter B mods now, Beyond the Forgotten ages is a content mod that adds ancient/occult content to Terraria.

This mod is fairly bog standard, it adds content that feels in-tune with Terraria, it has some pretty great (if not a bit too challenging at times) bosses all thing considering, some excellent spritework, and it widely known for having the Danny DeVito npc who sells you literally trash.

It ended up falling through thou due to poor balance (many of the weapons are overpowered) and questionable design; something the devs wish people would forget exists.

Simliar to Antiaris, this mod has been declared discontinued by the devs, unlike Antiaris thou, this mod has a successor mod of sorts in the works called Whirling Worlds that you can hopefully look forward to playing in the future.

If you are looking to play this one, you better do so soon before 1.4 comes to TMODLoader

I'll give this one a:
C

Good sprites and bosses, good ideas, poor execution and balance everywhere else, god speed on Whirling Worlds guys!

#10: Bismuth
by @Kazzinak @Bassalt @BRIPE @Nokilos996 @Rekstri @Efromomr

Ah Bismuth, this is a mod I did honestly really enjoy, it has alot of really great ideas and I was getting Minecraft Twlight Forest vibes from it, it felt like a real nostalgia trip to an older time.
Ironically, this mod is a redux of a TAPI mod of the same name! Go figure!

In Bismuth you spawn in the middle of an imperial city, this mod adds a few neat world-gen structures to your world, do bare in mind it WILL NOT play nice with other mods that add similar structures thou. When you spawn in you should spawn with a token that you can craft into a class token and select your class (should you choose to play an RPG game, you won't be able to exit your starting house until you pick RPG or non-RPG modes).

You take part in quests for town NPCs, can make branching choices, and fight a few bosses, some of which can be missed in a play through depending on your choices! The mod has great sprites that completely match Terraria's style and fit right in. There's some new mechanics involved, and the mod has a very awesome UI system for your character book! The mod also has a really neat usage of treasure hunting via locked boxes you find with mirrors in your world, these are how you get the Dwarven coins!

Now onto the bad things: This mod doesn't work online at all. The worldgen can badly affect other mods, the rpg system tends to not work for no reason somethings (even though you beat X boss it still says you need to beat X boss to buy the skill). The Divine items grant more perks as you gain more favor with the city, but they tend to bug out and lose said favor (it doesn't seem to properly save)

Then there's questionable items of design and balance, two of which you can find before you've even beaten any of the other bosses in one of the mod's key structures: The Underground Labyrinth.

A pair of wings that are very, very slightly worse than Angel wings, I feel these are only given to the player to help deal with the boss fought here, nothing else. Comes off as bad design as you can keep them after the fight is over hell, you don't even NEED to do the fight at all, you get them for practically free since the only dangers in the Labyrinth are spike blocks.

Then there's this OP thing: one of these items is a Quiver that causes you to fire a 2nd arrow with every attack (this at the start of the game btw), and if that wasn't enough, you ALSO gain a 15% arrow damage bonus!
That completely outclasses the hardmode Magic Quiver: Magic Quiver
And to make it even worse, there's a item later in this mod, that does the 2 arrow thing, but only with a CHANCE of doing it.
Yeah a hardmode item later in the mod that's WORSE than this item, wtf?

I think the most overpowered offender thou, would have to be the Banshee head, this thing takes away ALL of an npc's defense and a solid 10% of their HP per NPC affected
Imagine this: Imagine being able to remove all of a Dungeon Guardian's defense, or take away 800000+ HP off S.Cal just by equiping this on, and then taking it off (it only works once per NPC thou, but that's besides the point)
You get this very early into the game, but it remains good, too good for the entire game.

The mod also doesn't explain what some things are, like I didn't realize the "blast furnace" was the furnace in the Smith's shop.

This mod lacks decent hardmode gear, or it's not easily noticeable by the player, by the time I discovered the Bismuthium Ore, I was way too strong for it.

Then we have the structures, from what I learned there's an item that lets you destroy them, but again, the mod didn't tell you this or how to get it, so I ended up Fargo-nuking the desert village because I needed some space to fight crap without all the tribe :red: getting in the way and giving me that stupid debuff.

Turns out... that didn't change anything, they kept spawning from where the totem used to be and I STILL got the debuff!

Finally, the worst part of it all: this mod is on the verge of being discontinued, the devs don't visit the forums anymore, and from what I heard they don't have time/interest to work on it anymore as well from life stuff.

Alass:

I'll give this one a:
B+

A really great mod with some glaring issues. This hurts me, because I really want to see Bismuth continue, I loved where it was going it just has some serious problems that need addressing.
Edit: Decided to bump this up to a B+, I like it more than AA

Last edited:
#11: Calamity
by "The Calamity Team" (IE a WHOLE bunch of poorly credited people that I have no clue who has done what, all I know is that @Fabsol owns the thing)

Oh god, oh my god... What... What can I even say about this one? There's so much drama surrounding Terraria's largest mod that it could start a wildfire of its own, and thus I'm gonna try to re-frame from the controversy; I know the staff here won't take lightly too it as they have proven to me before...

So... Lets talk about *just* the mod then.

Calamity is the first mentioned of one of 5 mods on this list, that I started modded Terraria with, I will get to the others later.
It adds... way too much content, more than it should have honestly, Calamity has became known largely for its boss fights and over-the-top endgame gameplay.
Oh... and its fancy spritework.

One thing i can say for sure is, this mod hasn't really aged well, sure it's gotten a new coat of paint but the chassis is many years out of date with current models.

The first time I played this mod, it was early-mid 2017, not even a year after the mod first launched. Going back to it now... it's practically the same thing, just with more "filler content"
This isn't really a bad mod, no it's not, but it gets far more support and should I say 'funding' then it should VS alot of the mods coming out these days.

Stagnation is the keyword I would use to describe this mod, it's from an older time and it isn't aging well as has been clear with the recent modding endevers gaining media traction we all know about as of this post.
I would also compare Calamity to Team Fortress 2 and Yandre Simulator as of this post as well, if you catch my drift.

What the mod does well it does very well, but that's only like up to 5% of the mod's content, which is practically, a needle in the heystack (you aren't going to find half these items normally)
Oh and uh, the changelog is only kept on the discord, so big "sucks to be you" to non-discord users who want to know the updates when they happen. Given this mod's wiki, it really puzzles me why they don't have a dedicated page for changelogs.

This mod is like buying the finest bread you can buy, and filling it with budget peanut butter and discount jelly. What you get is a fancy looking sandwich that has a pretty mediocre taste.

Right then:
C

How about a C? You know, for 'Calamity', for 'Controversy', for 'Conflicted' feelings.
Anyways, here's some bonus ending statements by people from the TML discord, many of which, I agree with.

Back
Top Bottom