If someone where to play Terraria without any internet support...

Asteroidal_Assassin

Skeletron Prime
I have been thinking for a while what if someone played Terraria without any exposure to the internet and had to figure out everything by themselves (except the controls said person was taught the controls). Perhaps a farmer without internet or that much technology gets a special computer that only plays terraria and downloads updates for terraria?

It wouldn't. Unless you want to sit and ponder about people who enjoy the game without spoilers cant give opinions on the game. Also I played terraria blind and figured everything out myself. I think the only thing I've gone on about is the random nerfs.

What he means is 70% of people who play would not get very far without recourse to the wiki. I partially agree. Many things are too poorly explained to be achieved, and many things too well hidden. The making of an NPC house, for example: nothing in the game explains that you need a player-crafted back wall with only small holes in it. Also, the Wall of Flesh. Many players would take forever figuring out how exactly the thing is being summoned, and would probably just stay out of Hell after getting enough Hellstone for Molten. Getting sturdy fossils, fighting Duke Fishron, getting the Tax Collector, or Happy Grenades, using functional statues, and putting together the various combo equipments, these are things that would be difficult to impossible to figure out without the internet. You have to balance the joy of discovery against stalling out or missing out because you didn't know what to do.

What he means is 70% of people who play would not get very far without recourse to the wiki. I partially agree. Many things are too poorly explained to be achieved, and many things too well hidden. The making of an NPC house, for example: nothing in the game explains that you need a player-crafted back wall with only small holes in it. Also, the Wall of Flesh. Many players would take forever figuring out how exactly the thing is being summoned, and would probably just stay out of Hell after getting enough Hellstone for Molten. Getting sturdy fossils, fighting Duke Fishron, getting the Tax Collector, or Happy Grenades, using functional statues, and putting together the various combo equipments, these are things that would be difficult to impossible to figure out without the internet. You have to balance the joy of discovery against stalling out or missing out because you didn't know what to do.
Duke Fishron, Functional Statues, NPC Housing, Wall of Flesh aren't impossible, if at all difficult. Tax Collector would be close to impossible, Happy Grenades not really, just a dead npc, you'd be surprised how much people can discover without the internet. Guide is very helpful, also npc could be from a living wood tree, or in my case the chair and workbench are both a crafting station, but how I got it was early versions of the game I had Furnace, Anvil, Workbench, Chair, Bottle in my first room, and guide moved in. Duke Fishron is just catching like worms, but in the hardmode mushroom wish isn't hard which would be atleast figured out by Shroomite Bars, Wall of Flesh is quite easy, a voodoo doll in lava like how hard is that, even I didn't need a wiki the wording gives it away tbh. Tax Collector can be figured out by "Tortured Soul", I mean not a lot would think of it but not impossible. Functional States are like Dart Traps, Temple, Mechanic. However Sturdy Fossils is also possible because you extract them. However a Slime Staff wouldn't be hard either because of Flamethrower, but not everyone would get or make a Gel Farm for that, but who knows.

Duke Fishron requires you to first catch (requiring quite a bit of premeditated effort) a truffle worm, then take the worm to the ocean, and use it up as bait. None of these are intuitive things, then when Fishron did appear, one would have to make the connection between the worm and the boss. You have to imagine you're encountering these things and have no idea of their connections to any other. Who would think to run a wire to an inert statue? In fact, who would think to right click a bed, when the majority of furniture has no function on a click? This is after crafting/finding an anvil, sawmill, and loom, so a lot of what's newly available will be super decorative. Nothing in game tells you that you can move the spawn point, let alone with what. That's not something a player would be likely to stumble on until they start sprucing up NPC rooms for jollies.

Wall of Flesh summon is barely hinted at, nothing comes close to the exact method. A player would have to be lucky to catch sight of the doll hitting the lava and again, figure out that's what summoned the boss. But Fossils are the worst case. First you need a nightmare pickaxe to get them out. Then you need to figure out you can actually extract things with the Extractinator, and that this is one of those things, being nothing like the other two. A player is far more likely to get sturdy fossils from basilisks, well after they're useful...though by shadow armor level they're not useful for long.

What about the Truffle? I don't think the game provides any hints on moving him in.

The advice from the Guide stops coming after smashing altars. I think I've mentioned that before, though.

What about the Truffle? I don't think the game provides any hints on moving him in.

The advice from the Guide stops coming after smashing altars. I think I've mentioned that before, though.
Shroomite Bars, Truffle Worm, Clentaminator should be thinkable for use in Jungle, like other biomes you're able to switch, I mean of course it's very unlikely but it is possible :D. Although all of it is with or without internet/ data mining.

Man I'd have quit if I couldn't use the wiki when I had first started. This games hostile in every way, when you don't know what your doing.

How about this one...not mining up the Dungeon Entrance. You mess it up a little and you never see Cultists. You never see cultists and you never know there was a reason not to mine it. Finish w/ the game, never see Moon Lord. That's the kind of thing that happens.
I mean this is a game where so many people didn't know what the Demon Altars were that it became memetic as a FAQ in the community. Without them lots of people would still be trying to bomb them up and looking for how to craft this 'demon altar' crafting table they needed because they couldn't beat Wof/BoC in 4 tries.

How about this one...not mining up the Dungeon Entrance. You mess it up a little and you never see Cultists. You never see cultists and you never know there was a reason not to mine it. Finish w/ the game, never see Moon Lord. That's the kind of thing that happens.
I mean this is a game where so many people didn't know what the Demon Altars were that it became memetic as a FAQ in the community. Without them lots of people would still be trying to bomb them up and looking for how to craft this 'demon altar' crafting table they needed because they couldn't beat Wof/BoC in 4 tries.
And being incredibly horrified when the wall of flesh accidentally spawns and even more horrified/amazed when it is hardmode
[doublepost=1467138216,1467138145][/doublepost]
Duke Fishron requires you to first catch (requiring quite a bit of premeditated effort) a truffle worm
I think the player seeing the bait power being "666" would realize it is bad

I didn't get the purple spiky thing meme. I found out what they were early on. But I guess it depends on what kind of person you are. When I was growing up if you told me about strategy guides I would look at you weird. I grew up playing games that would make you their :red: if you weren't careful. I mastered them. Then I tested the developers themselves. Now days games give me even more facades to tear down.

The problem is that players look at the game as.. just a game. They think only about whats on the screen. They are ignorant to how the game is like a world, it has it's own laws and elements. They spend 10 minutes looking at something then they run to a walkthrough.. Congrats YOU WIN I GUESS.

I guess it's just not practical for people to think too much about the game they are playing. But I expect, at the very least, BASIC problem solving skills from people.

Now if my keyboard keys will stop popping off. Lets use the "purple spikey thing" for example. You see it sitting there. You wonder, if capable, "LOL VAS IST DAS?!". That is always the first step. Second step, you try to destroy it. That is a very human reaction. But after losing half your fingers to that little experiment, one should try to bring different items to it. Hold them over it.. bang them against it.. ect. Because maybe it is some sort of crafting table. Or maybe it finds certain items delicious, and may reward you for the snack (this is literally one of the thoughts that crossed my mind and I commented to my friends verbatim).

tl;dr I brought a whole bunch of stuff to it and discovered how to make suspicious eyes.

But to be fair, I learned about the cultist thing because you guys spoiled pretty much everything about that update.

Back
Top Bottom