PC If you haven't tried fishing yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you manage to find some Flower Boots in a Jungle Shrine, your bait hunting days are over. Simply walking over jungle grass will cause plants to spring up, which have a decent chance of hiding a Grubby, Sluggy, or Buggy (also, Grub Soup is easy to get if you do this, and it's nearly as good as Pumpkin Pie). Or just stand still with a yoyo atop jungle grass, and watch bugs fly out (credit goes to @DeadlyStr1ke for the yoyo idea).

I've never seen Flower Boots before... but who knows mebbe someday I will..

I know it gets easier as you get further, I just wish they'd consider making fishing a little easier to start. I still say the Merchant should sell 5% or 10% bait. That way, you could grab weak bait anytime you run out, or to get yourself started if you wanted to just blow some time fishing without all the prep work.
I think it's purposely hard at first because it gets absurdly easier as you progress. My friend has a Golden Fishing Rod and he can catch quest fish in like the first two tries.

I think it's purposely hard at first because it gets absurdly easier as you progress. My friend has a Golden Fishing Rod and he can catch quest fish in like the first two tries.

I've popped quest fish in 1-3 tries too, sometimes. lol.

But yeah I usually wait until I get lucky enough to see Sitting Duck's Pole on the TM. Which can sometimes be a royal PITA. That or the Mechanic's Rod, but then again, that requires a specific moonphase (I don't understand why that is.....) so you can spend up to nearly 2 hours after you turn the world to Hardmode to get one.

crate potion + sonar potion + fishing potion, usually I get 1-3 biome crates per pot run, also I have a small (less than 80 blocks) jungle bait farm going, and gold and Iron crates can give you master or journeyman bait wich I use for fishing, try it, its really fun

I'd be ok with the golden bug net being given on the 10th quest reward or so, because after a certain point the bug net sort of loses purpose (unless you are really unlucky and hurting for bait). But having it as a random quest reward does seem to defeat the point of making it easier to find bait. Still, it's a great item. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

if i get a spare I will message you, only got one so far, and it was a pretty early quest reward on a side note, if anyone needs the weather radio or fishermans pocket guide, I have a few spare, all I need now for my cell phone is the metal detector

Yay, another item that is totally awesome to get started on fishing...... that is gated behind..... lots of fishing and ludicrous RNG on top of that.
Didn't take me very long. Then again, I don't plan my play around quests. I take them if I'm near home base, do other things if it's inconvenient. That way it doesn't seem like a drag.

"Gated?" If that means I have to put in some effort to get it, then yes, it's gated. And all the weapons I'd like to have to defeat Boss X are a lot easier to get after Boss X is dust. So I do what I can with what I've got and often get pleasant surprises along the way.

I'm sorry the RNG seems to have turned its back on you, but randomness is random. Things happen. I have good luck on some stuff, lousy luck on others. That's how luck, that illusory creation of our rationalizing minds, works. Keep the faith, plug along, and good things will come to you.

The golden bug net is really a total game changer as far as fishing goes. Being able to run across the world and mow down all the grass and pick up all the grasshoppers and worms is a huge boon. Plus you end up scooping a ton of bunnies, squirrels, and birds...at 5 silver each, it's nice money for essentially no work at all.

Prior to that, it's just a question of constantly swapping between a grass cutter and the regular bug net. I was fortunate enough to find an enchanted sword early on, and its projectile is awesome for clear cutting grass. Launch a sword and then swap to the bug net and run over the space and collect up.

Best time to worms is when it rains - they show up on the ground outside quite often.

The background jungle plants are also a good source of bait. You need to use a pickaxe to clear them, unfortunately, but it's good quality bait and usually 2-3 pop out at once.

I started fishing a lil' before 1.3 came out. I even got my golden fishing rod, but unfortunately STILL NO SEXTANT. (which is what i really, really want, as it's the only thing i still need for my cursed cell phone)
How long did it take any of you guys to get it? (I've done like 26 quests post-1.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom