I'm excited about Terraria again but...

...there are definitely some caveats to this excitement. Before I got here, there were a number of frustrations that I needed to work through; some of them were nitpicky annoyances, others, I felt were legitimate gripes with the "bad direction" that the game was heading in.

Here's a short-list of stuff I'm still salty about...:
  • game performance will likely remain an on-going issue moving forward, so... lower graphical settings, here I come... to stay?? πŸ™„ πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
  • the initial 1.4 balance patches were likely just a means to an end, and were probably never intended to set the tone for what 1.4.4 would be.
  • The Constant Seed will likely remain a terrible gimmick, but we'll still have FTW, NTB, CMK10 and Drunk World+ so... it's not all bad.
  • Summoner Class will likely sit in a weird place from here-on-out, but at least a larger portion of the Community is "happier" with the Class than it was with 1.3.5. I still see newer subsets of complaints and confusion brewing around the newer Class but, I guess it'll just be more-of-the-same at the end of the day... right??
...and here's the list of stuff I got over, with time:
  • seems like the Echo Paint idea is dead on arrival (thank goodness), so this gives me hope that the Dev team has "realigned" to what's "essential". πŸ™πŸ˜‡
  • Summoner Class still has all of it's 1.3.5 elements and they haven't gone anywhere, so I can continue to be an advocate of the "old school" style.
  • though the immersion of 1.4 took a hit with 1.4.1+, it wasn't like pre-Hardmode adventuring was may favorite thing to do in 1.3.5 anyway, so the tradeoff is certainly tolerable; if I'm being reasonable.
  • The Princess NPC isn't all that bad, especially if I can gladly welcome the Slime Pets at this point.
  • balance was never one of the defining factors of why I enjoyed Terraria, so if that goes away, I don't really have much issue with it. I admittedly got caught up in the hype of having a "reasonably balanced" game, but Sandboxes aren't known for their "balance", which is an unreasonable standard to hold Terraria to (even though the Devs started it). πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
  • it really started to feel as if Red was trying to turn Terraria into "Otherworld" for a while, which I was totally against. I'm sure a good number of TO ideas made it over, but it felt like he was trying to squeeze in all-of-'em, but knowing Terraria 2 is on the horizon, I feel confident that the Devs are done this time... like, for real!
  • lastly, if we somehow have a repeat of 1.4.1, there's always Mods!? πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
So yeah, my hype for the update has been a very, very slow build but, I'm finally excited about Terraria again. There's just certain elements about this game that I just can't get elsewhere. Terraria's one of the few games that you can make a personal experience, brick-by-brick, world-by-world, and play-to-player. I missed being here, quite a lot. Also, I still haven't quite finished experimenting with Golf so...

Fair enough, I like the cosntant world but too each their own, the only secret seed I dont like is the celebration one, cause the bright coloured paint irk me, and getting a pyramind in the middle of my main desert annoys me, but thats my opinion. As for the summoner class I only use the Terraprisma to back me up, I always go melee as thats my prefered class. I like to get up close and personal.

As for the summoner class I only use the Terraprisma to back me up, I always go melee as thats my prefered class. I like to get up close and personal.
Melee is one of the big reasons I'm excited for the update. It's my least explored Class in the game (as I really didn't see the point of it, aside from Yoyo's, Javelins, North Pole, Scourge of the Corruptor, etc); I can only assume that the overhaul will be better than what we had before, which is objectively better than leaving it as-is.

Plus, the new Dark Lance is lookin' mighty fine... 😏πŸ₯€

Melee is one of the big reasons I'm excited for the update. It's my least explored Class in the game (as I really didn't see the point of it, aside from Yoyo's, Javelins, North Pole, Scourge of the Corruptor, etc); I can only assume that the overhaul will be better than what we had before, which is objectively better than leaving it as-is.

Plus, the new Dark Lance is lookin' mighty fine... 😏πŸ₯€
Pre 1.4, I used to still play Melee but I didn't go for the melee damage build, I actually used to go for the tanky defense build so I could tank most of the damage.

Pre 1.4, I used to still play Melee but I didn't go for the melee damage build, I actually used to go for the tanky defense build so I could tank most of the damage.
Not sure how common but, I did notice that Melee Armor Sets tend to come with "Movement Speed" as an added bonus (i.e. Squire/ Valhalla Sets). I never felt like micromovement was a thing either until 1.4, but it's kinda hard to tell what's always been around, what's only being affected by synergy, and what's mostly placebo at this point; at least for me. I'm only kinda certain because "thousands of hours of PvP, so I should've noticed by now", and how much better the game felt to play on initial launch. πŸ€” πŸ₯€

So yeah, Melee didn't feel completely underdeveloped if I'm being candid; I'll also add here that the defense that Melee Armor(s) provide is very noticeable, even on some of the higher difficulties, though many advanced veterans would claim otherwise.

Not sure how common but, I did notice that Melee Armor Sets tend to come with "Movement Speed" as an added bonus (i.e. Squire/ Valhalla Sets). I never felt like micromovement was a thing either until 1.4, but it's kinda hard to tell what's always been around, what's only being affected by synergy, and what's mostly placebo at this point; at least for me. I'm only kinda certain because "thousands of hours of PvP, so I should've noticed by now", and how much better the game felt to play on initial launch. πŸ€” πŸ₯€

So yeah, Melee didn't feel completely underdeveloped if I'm being candid; I'll also add here that the defense that Melee Armor(s) provide is very noticeable, even on some of the higher difficulties, though many advanced veterans would claim otherwise.
I get what they mean on Expert and Master defense cuts damage by 75% and 100% of your defense value respectively which sounds good on paper, until you remember on said difficulties enemies are hitting you twice or thirce as hard which makes sense in terms of balance.

I get what they mean on Expert and Master defense cuts damage by 75% and 100% of your defense value respectively which sounds good on paper, until you remember on said difficulties enemies are hitting you twice or thirce as hard which makes sense in terms of balance.
I think it might be that I consider buffing mechanics to be essential gameplay on the harder difficulties, I've admittedly never done the math, but from experience, I'm fairly certain that a.) Iron Skin, b.) Endurance, c.) Worm Scarf, d.) Bast Statue, e.) Life Force combined with static, normally-high defense makes a noticeable difference, no matter how much enemies might scale. I also consider razor-thin-margin gameplay to be fairly legitimate [as a Dark Souls Series player, PvP].

In addition, I'm certain that using the buffs I listed above are fairly effective with Summoner Class [the Class with the least defense], as I was often able to take 2-3 hits from Bosses like Plantera & Duke Fishron with Spider Armor equipped; not to mention that glancing blows are an existing mechanic in Terraria too, though it's rarely ever discussed.

Either way, I'm still excited for the game regardless, and I'll likely step away from the more technical aspects of it, 'less I see something egregious, or I see some form of misinformation gaining traction, so I do apologize in advance for the first/ second half of my reply, it'll likely be the last of its kind on here. πŸ™ πŸ˜‡

I think it might be that I consider buffing mechanics to be essential gameplay on the harder difficulties, I've admittedly never done the math, but from experience, I'm fairly certain that a.) Iron Skin, b.) Endurance, c.) Worm Scarf, d.) Bast Statue, e.) Life Force combined with static, normally-high defense makes a noticeable difference, no matter how much enemies might scale. I also consider razor-thin-margin gameplay to be fairly legitimate [as a Dark Souls Series player, PvP].

In addition, I'm certain that using the buffs I listed above are fairly effective with Summoner Class [the Class with the least defense], as I was often able to take 2-3 hits from Bosses like Plantera & Duke Fishron with Spider Armor equipped; not to mention that glancing blows are an existing mechanic in Terraria too, though it's rarely ever discussed.

Either way, I'm still excited for the game regardless, and I'll likely step away from the more technical aspects of it, 'less I see something egregious, or I see some form of misinformation gaining traction, so I do apologize in advance for the first/ second half of my reply, it'll likely be the last of its kind on here. πŸ™ πŸ˜‡
Fair point, I generally used my natural defenses from my gear I almost never use potions for some reason. I am having a lot of fun with TModLoader on 1.4 wit5h Fargo's Soul Of Eternity I can easily 1 shot stuff even on Master, imagine if that was in vanilla it would be WAY TOO OP.

One of melee's big claims to fame is the high defense that it brings, which is bull:red:

Pretty much every boss has higher offense than your defense, thus nullifying its use, like using cardboard to defend against a gunshot

One of melee's big claims to fame is the high defense that it brings, which is bull:red:
I'm assuming because I hear this complaint so much, there must be some validity to it, somehow this hasn't been my experience [3000+ hours]; can't say that I have a credible amount of hours with Melee Class specifically, to have a valid take on it's current state, but I can say that 1.4 Melee Summoner was the only "reasonable" way I had of defeating Master Mode Duke Fishron.

I guess my point here is the all the things Melee Class is good for continued to be effective, which is why I chose it for the win, I think it's also important to note that Betsy and OOA was another candidate in which Melee was my saving grace...
  • good movement bonuses
  • great weaponry to select from (especially in HM)
  • excellent defense (especially when amplified with buffs)
  • good damage (especially paired with DoT, Flasks and Sharpening Station)

Pretty much every boss has higher offense than your defense, thus nullifying its use, like using cardboard to defend against a gunshot
...can't say that I quite agree with this take, but if it counts for something, Melee Class is the only one that I know so far that can survive a direct hit from the Chattering Teeth mob/ projectile from the Clown Enemy during a HM Blood Moon Event. I can't recall exactly how much health you're left with, but it's enough to keep fighting and take maybe 2-3 more hit from other Enemies.

I can't say the same for Summoner or Mage Class; I believe that attack is a 1-hit kill, or if they do survive it's with likely no more then 1-5 health points. πŸ€” πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Hmm.

Maybe just get a better computer for the graphics problems? Or maybe not try to play it in 4k or something lol.

I run a 5-6 year old computer just fine at 1440p. /shrug A Ryzen 1st Gen 1500x with a 1050ti.

As for stuff going on in Terraria, I am really hesitant about the changes to endgame swords.... esp. the Terra Blade. I'm rather nervous about what they plan on doing with that. I'll try and give them a chance, but...if it isn't to my liking, I'm really hoping someone will make a simple mod to revert at least the Terra Blade back to its former glory if that ends up being the case.

I'm really looking forward to easing more restrictions with the NPC housing system, that is always awesome. And also better loot from the Angler is also a huge plus.

The rest?

Meh. Everything else is still the same as it always was. Kinda curious about the new trap seed.. though I'd think that once you get a Grand Design, it'll be mostly no consequence.

Oh, and infinite wire (removing it as an item) sounds ludicrously awesome if they actually implement that.

And let's not forget...

9999 stack size without mods! Heck yeah.

Maybe just get a better computer for the graphics problems? Or maybe not try to play it in 4k or something lol.
I've already had several ppl that are better with tech than I am, take a look into it, and the issue isn't on my end. At this point I suspect that I'm encountering some rare bug, but nothing substantial has come of it so far so I can't really say much else meaningful about it. 🧐 πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

As for stuff going on in Terraria, I am really hesitant about the changes to endgame swords.... esp. the Terra Blade. I'm rather nervous about what they plan on doing with that. I'll try and give them a chance, but...if it isn't to my liking, I'm really hoping someone will make a simple mod to revert at least the Terra Blade back to its former glory if that ends up being the case.
The only reason I'm not that concerned about Melee Class is because 1.4 Summoner is already proof of concept; a somewhat in-your-face, high risk, high reward system already works in Terraria. The only major difference will likely be the defensive bonuses allotted to the Class that'll likely be traded for the offensive bonuses that 1.4 Summoner got.

I'm really looking forward to easing more restrictions with the NPC housing system, that is always awesome. And also better loot from the Angler is also a huge plus. The rest?

Meh. Everything else is still the same as it always was. Kinda curious about the new trap seed.. though I'd think that once you get a Grand Design, it'll be mostly no consequence.
I'm still not sure what the on-going issue is the the NPC housing system we have now, but hearing about it so often leads me to suspect that something must be done. Realistically, the way that I hear players in this forum discuss the game, I'd assume a.) The Nurse, b.) Goblin Tinkerer, c.) The Merchant and d.) Arms Dealer would be the most reoccurring choice to lower prices with of all NPCs, whereas the rest would be of little consequence?

I hate assuming the usual suspect of "player greed", but I just don't see a reason for the current system to be changed or adjusted, but then again there may just be something happening with the system that I'm not privy to, but I'm fairly certain that most players who focus on "base building" and "elaborate building" in general would prefer the 9999 item stack feature, more than they would a change to NPC Happiness/ housing.

Who knows... maybe the changes will improve the currents system somehow?? I just try to be hopeful these days. πŸ§πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Oh, and infinite wire (removing it as an item) sounds ludicrously awesome if they actually implement that.

And let's not forget... 9999 stack size without mods! Heck yeah.
I'm honestly pretty indifferent about the changes to wire, it was always so cheap and easy to stock-up-on; perhaps something else is improved upon with its removal when it comes to construction, and possibly freeing up an extra slot for more resources... but honestly, with 9999 stacks of most relevant items [blocks, active devices, furniture], it really won't matter that much, I think.

I've already had several ppl that are better with tech than I am, take a look into it, and the issue isn't on my end. At this point I suspect that I'm encountering some rare bug, but nothing substantial has come of it so far so I can't really say much else meaningful about it. 🧐 πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

That's rather strange to be honest. Perhaps something you should bring up with the Re-Logic team or something, if it really is the game's fault.

The only reason I'm not that concerned about Melee Class is because 1.4 Summoner is already proof of concept; a somewhat in-your-face, high risk, high reward system already works in Terraria. The only major difference will likely be the defensive bonuses allotted to the Class that'll likely be traded for the offensive bonuses that 1.4 Summoner got.

We already have a high risk high reward system in the game, do we really need another? In fact, we have two of them: summoners and mages. Ranged is kinda a 'meh' where you got medium armor and good damage, and then you had the "safe but takes you forever to kill it" melee and I was fine with that.

I like being the defensive tank.

However, forcing myself to get in everything's face because I now have zero ranged attacks other than Yo-yos kinda removes any perks that high defense gave me.

I made a thread about this on this very forum where I discussed why "pure melee" tends not to work.

Now, maybe if the swords' attacks are big enough, kinda like the Solar Eruption, then maybe it could work. Let's hope so.

I'm still not sure what the on-going issue is the the NPC housing system we have now, but hearing about it so often leads me to suspect that something must be done. Realistically, the way that I hear players in this forum discuss the game, I'd assume a.) The Nurse, b.) Goblin Tinkerer, c.) The Merchant and d.) Arms Dealer would be the most reoccurring choice to lower prices with of all NPCs, whereas the rest would be of little consequence?

As far as I'm concerned, ANY improvement is improvement enough to be happy with.

It's not always about endgame, or greed, maybe people just wanna see happy villagers across-the-board and not be forced into certain setups to make that happen?

Also, early-game, transportation is such a huge deal, and in the current game, sometimes it's annoying to try to get NPCs to sell you their pylons (for example, the Ocean is not exactly easy to do early-game but is quite useful).

Once you're at endgame, then yeah sure all you care about is the Goblin and the Tax Collector.

I hate assuming the usual suspect of "player greed", but I just don't see a reason for the current system to be changed or adjusted, but then again there may just be something happening with the system that I'm not privy to, but I'm fairly certain that most players who focus on "base building" and "elaborate building" in general would prefer the 9999 item stack feature, more than they would a change to NPC Happiness/ housing.

It's not really a "would I rather have this, or this?" as the update and the spoilers around the update suggest that we're getting both, so this seems a little irrelevant to me? But yes, the 9999 stack size is a bigger deal than the NPC happiness changes, but both are even better.

Who knows... maybe the changes will improve the currents system somehow?? I just try to be hopeful these days. πŸ§πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Any more leniency on NPC happiness is an improvement in my book. /shrug

I'm honestly pretty indifferent about the changes to wire, it was always so cheap and easy to stock-up-on; perhaps something else is improved upon with its removal when it comes to construction, and possibly freeing up an extra slot for more resources... but honestly, with 9999 stacks of most relevant items [blocks, active devices, furniture], it really won't matter that much, I think.

Wires also cluttered up your inventory while you're exploring, as they take up a physical slot. Exploring the Jungle and the Dungeon are egregious, it's not about stuff stacking to 9999 it's about getting 20, 30 new items within 5 minutes of going to the jungle and then having to drop crap, or see purple letters above your head after 5 minutes. You get 1 of this, 2 of that, 3 of that over there, and you gotta start manually trashing crap, and wires were just another thing to clutter up your inventory. Go to the Jungle, and well...

You get a stinger off of every other thing you kill.
There's a vine.
Oh, there's a Jungle Spore over there you didn't mean to harvest.
You found a large tree with a chest.. here's some mahogany wood to take up more room.
The chest had a staff of regrowth in it, and you didn't already have one. cool. but that's item inventory -1 all the same.
The chest also had an ironskin potion in it, too.
Let's not forget all of those mud blocks that you're constantly picking up as you tunnel.
Ooops. you accidentally hit an iron ore, so now you got an iron ore on you, too.

It just adds up. Wire being yet another space taken up in your inventory only adds to it, and now that wire is no longer a thing, that's 1 more of something else I can carry before I gotta warp back to base.

We already have a high risk high reward system in the game, do we really need another? In fact, we have two of them: summoners and mages. Ranged is kinda a 'meh' where you got medium armor and good damage, and then you had the "safe but takes you forever to kill it" melee and I was fine with that.
I wouldn't necessarily call Mage Class high-risk but... 🧐 πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Honestly, I know very little about Melee Class, but the little experience I've had with it, many of the Swords just felt like weaker Magic Rods. I've always felt that weapons like Arkhalis and Thorn Chakram should've been more common, but I'm pretty pleased with the more unique, interesting HM Melee Weapons as is [Scourge of the Corruptor, Vampire Knives, Dripper Crippler, etc.].

I like being the defensive tank. However, forcing myself to get in everything's face because I now have zero ranged attacks other than Yo-yos kinda removes any perks that high defense gave me. I made a thread about this on this very forum where I discussed why "pure melee" tends not to work.
I'm not sure why that'd ever be a concern, because I'm pretty certain that many if not most of the current HM Melee Weapons that are present will remain mostly unchanged [1.4].
  • Blue Moon
  • Anchor
  • Chainsaw
  • Phase Saber(s)
  • Breaker Blade
  • Clobberfish
  • Death Sickle

Now, maybe if the swords' attacks are big enough, kinda like the Solar Eruption, then maybe it could work. Let's hope so.
I mean, they can always screw it up, but Dark Lance was admittedly pretty decent before its obvious debut buff. If they plan to just do more of that, I don't really see an issue; but yeah, let's hope. πŸ™πŸ˜¬

As far as I'm concerned, ANY improvement is improvement enough to be happy with.
It's not always about endgame, or greed, maybe people just wanna see happy villagers across-the-board and not be forced into certain setups to make that happen?
I mean... I guess, but that was originally the intended design choice of NPC happiness, the players would be forced to choose. The only reason all of this is odd for me, is because I've almost continually recall [a large number of] players being extremely dismissive to most NPCs, and at best, if they didn't care much for the building mechanics, would just build a shoebox tower/ prison, just so they could get the items they sold [NPCs]; and even more advanced than that, building these strange "half-shelters" just to get the valid housing function to trigger.

The flip-flopping is quite impressive... but then again, there might be something crucial I'm greatly overlooking here.

Also, early-game, transportation is such a huge deal, and in the current game, sometimes it's annoying to try to get NPCs to sell you their pylons (for example, the Ocean is not exactly easy to do early-game but is quite useful).
I mean, I kinda get it but... we also have several pre-Hardmode Mounts, pre-Hardmode Wings, better movement options, better movement speed, Recall Potions, Wormhole Potions, Potions of Return, Magic Conch, Demon Conch, early-Harmode Mounts...

...it's not like it's that hard to get around effectively, and it's objectively much better/easier to get around in 1.4 then it was in 1.3.5.

Once you're at endgame, then yeah sure all you care about is the Goblin and the Tax Collector.

It's not really a "would I rather have this, or this?" as the update and the spoilers around the update suggest that we're getting both, so this seems a little irrelevant to me? But yes, the 9999 stack size is a bigger deal than the NPC happiness changes, but both are even better.
Any more leniency on NPC happiness is an improvement in my book. /shrug
Not really, but if somehow I'm wrong here, I'd love to hear your personal take of the usefulness of some of the more unique/ obscure NPCs outside of the ones I mentioned, and how they are essential/ useful to you during pre-Hardmode. πŸ€”πŸ΅

I'm convinced that this might give me some much needed, missing perspective on the matter,

Wires also cluttered up your inventory while you're exploring, as they take up a physical slot. Exploring the Jungle and the Dungeon are egregious, it's not about stuff stacking to 9999 it's about getting 20, 30 new items within 5 minutes of going to the jungle and then having to drop crap, or see purple letters above your head after 5 minutes. You get 1 of this, 2 of that, 3 of that over there, and you gotta start manually trashing crap, and wires were just another thing to clutter up your inventory. Go to the Jungle, and well...

-snip-

It just adds up. Wire being yet another space taken up in your inventory only adds to it, and now that wire is no longer a thing, that's 1 more of something else I can carry before I gotta warp back to base.
I don't know about this one, even with the added benefit of more storage options, 1.4 was pretty good about inventory management, to the point where I felt like 9999 stack of nearly every item was more-that-enough. The addition of the Void Vault, and the adjustment to the Piggy Bank should probably go up on the billboard too.

Still, this isn't a change I'm for or against so... πŸ˜•πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

I wouldn't necessarily call Mage Class high-risk but... 🧐 πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Honestly, I know very little about Melee Class, but the little experience I've had with it, many of the Swords just felt like weaker Magic Rods. I've always felt that weapons like Arkhalis and Thorn Chakram should've been more common, but I'm pretty pleased with the more unique, interesting HM Melee Weapons as is [Scourge of the Corruptor, Vampire Knives, Dripper Crippler, etc.].

With all respect ... if you know "very little" about the Melee Class, then ... you can't really speak much on it.

Meanwhile, I specialize in it, it's what I play the most, so uh. Trust me on this?

I'm not sure why that'd ever be a concern, because I'm pretty certain that many if not most of the current HM Melee Weapons that are present will remain mostly unchanged [1.4].
  • Blue Moon
  • Anchor
  • Chainsaw
  • Phase Saber(s)
  • Breaker Blade
  • Clobberfish
  • Death Sickle

I mean, they can always screw it up, but Dark Lance was admittedly pretty decent before its obvious debut buff. If they plan to just do more of that, I don't really see an issue; but yeah, let's hope. πŸ™πŸ˜¬

Of that list...

Only the Death Sickle is really commonly used either because of Rarity, too much effort to craft (Phasesaber), or because there are simply better weapons around, or they are just impractical (Anchor, Breaker Blade).

That and you're listing early hardmode weapons, rather than late hardmode. Wanna know what a typical Melee progression looks like? It's something like this...

Wooden/Cactus Sword -> Ice Blade (if you find one) -> Night's Edge / Blood Butcherer -> Night's Edge (sometimes temporarily using the Fiery Greatsword for a short bit).

Then, once you're in Hardmode, it's usually something like this:

Bladetongue (a must get if you have Crimson!) -> Amarok -> Yelets -> Eye of Cthulhu/Terra Blade -> Solar Eruption/Daybreak.

Now, of course, that's not strict and set in stone, there are a few other notable mentions, but most are not worth going out of your way to look for one. Vampire Knives and Scourge of the Corruptor can both have a place on your hotbar, but the keys are too difficult to farm for them specifically and are usually skipped.

There are other weapons, like the Seedler (if it actually drops while it is still useful), the Death Sickle is also awesome if you get one to drop while it is still useful (Pre Terra Blade), and some of the Pre-Hardmode Yo-Yos can be reasonable substitutes for melee weapons, even post-nerf, an early Amazon can still be a reasonably effective weapon, and if you happen to get a Cascade to drop before killing the WoF, that can still work too.

But... here's the thing.

Against the Mechs, Plantera, and Golem, what Melee weapons are actually useful?

Bladetongue and the Fetid Baghnaks against The Destroyer, absolutely. But Prime and Twins? Absolutely not. Amarok will work against the Prime, but against the Twins, the range is a bit too short for my liking; I constantly get clipped with the green fire "breath" in the 2nd phase of the green eye because it's hard to actually deal damage and not get nailed with the fire streams, so I tend to not want to use Amarok for that. You could go to farm a Yelets, but it'll be much of the same, only slightly better DPS.

Otherwise.... I can't think of a single actual good melee weapon to use against Twins, or Plantera. Plantera basically has the same problem Twins do -- everything that does Melee damage has too short of range, though you can use a Yelets, I've done it. It's just not as easy as grabbing, say, a Megashark and using it despite wearing Melee armor (which is what I usually advise Newbies to do).

This is the problem with melee weapons lacking projectiles. They just aren't useful against fast-moving bosses with attacks like the aforementioned green fire.

I'm fairly sure this is why Re-Logic gave so many late-game Melee weapons projectiles in the first place, to make sure they retained usefulness beyond killing small fry.

I mean... I guess, but that was originally the intended design choice of NPC happiness, the players would be forced to choose. The only reason all of this is odd for me, is because I've almost continually recall [a large number of] players being extremely dismissive to most NPCs, and at best, if they didn't care much for the building mechanics, would just build a shoebox tower/ prison, just so they could get the items they sold [NPCs]; and even more advanced than that, building these strange "half-shelters" just to get the valid housing function to trigger.

The flip-flopping is quite impressive... but then again, there might be something crucial I'm greatly overlooking here.

Here's a small hint: Gamers don't always know what they want / minorities speak the loudest.

Some people love the "choices" (which aren't really choices, stick this NPC here, stick that NPC there, if you do anything else you're making do with suboptimal results), but most... didn't.

The most vocal of the playerbase said we wanted housing to matter, that we wanted NPCs to care about where they lived... but this was a case of "Be careful what you ask for...." and after implementing it, they went "Hmm, you know, this isn't as fun as it looked on paper...."

I mean, I kinda get it but... we also have several pre-Hardmode Mounts, pre-Hardmode Wings, better movement options, better movement speed, Recall Potions, Wormhole Potions, Potions of Return, Magic Conch, Demon Conch, early-Harmode Mounts...

All of which apply after the initial stages of the game, and I don't know about you, but I like to start on the Angler's quests as soon as I get a Crimtane/Demonite fishing pole. Sometimes I start even earlier if I get lucky with worm/firefly spawns and get a bug net early enough.

This means I need to get to the ocean fast, and make sure I get a pylon there so I'm not having to spend 5 minutes out of a gameday schlepping it to the ocean to fish up a Clownfish or whatnot. Having a Pylon there makes that really easy. Also, Pylons are awesome for warping to near the dungeon, too. That's why I always build it on the side the Dungeon's on.

...it's not like it's that hard to get around effectively, and it's objectively much better/easier to get around in 1.4 then it was in 1.3.5.

Not really, but if somehow I'm wrong here, I'd love to hear your personal take of the usefulness of some of the more unique/ obscure NPCs outside of the ones I mentioned, and how they are essential/ useful to you during pre-Hardmode. πŸ€”πŸ΅

Well... let's see.

The Demolitionist can be useful for grenades which are good early-game, though once I get a Crimtane/Demonite sword, I use Grenades a lot less (usually only the goblin invasion).
The Nurse? Never use her. Never needed to use her.
Tailor? I just buy a wig off him so I can hide the helmet.
Stylist? There's a certain hairstyle that I usually use that's not chooseable from chargen so it's nice to see her.
Dryad, I always buy planter boxes off her, 16-30 of each to start a trellis, one row per type of plant.
Mechanic, to buy the stuff needed for the Grand Design.

uh... other than that... can't really think of much else I do with the NPCs.

I don't know about this one, even with the added benefit of more storage options, 1.4 was pretty good about inventory management, to the point where I felt like 9999 stack of nearly every item was more-that-enough. The addition of the Void Vault, and the adjustment to the Piggy Bank should probably go up on the billboard too.

Still, this isn't a change I'm for or against so... πŸ˜•πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Oh, the Void Vault does wonders but it doesn't reach the "miracles" category. I can still fill both my inventory and the VV up within 10 or so minutes of any jungle or dungeon foray.

And again.

It has nothing to do with the 9999 stack size.

It has everything to do with the number of unique items thrown at you. Maybe I travel a bit heavy, though: I always carry fireflies and worms on me, a fishing pole (because I hate constantly fiddling with chests every time I go to do something), some rope (though I'll usually get rid of it after I build the hellevator), a stack of healing potions, weapon/pickaxe/axe, torches, gel (because I'm constantly picking it up anyhow), wood (always nice to be able to build something or more torches if you were to somehow run out), an item that tells you the time, and if I have one, a weather radio or equivalent, as well as location items. that's... probably almost half the regular inventory in stuff carried.

It really doesn't take long to fill the rest of that up. I also like to grab as much crap out of chests possible, 1g here, 1g there it really adds up and just leaving it laying around doesn't seem very productive, lol.

Maybe it's just my playstyle, but eh. /shrug

Also, wire not being an item anymore means I can, once I have the Grand Design, wire anything I want anywhere as long as I had what I'm wiring with me (a switch, or a statue, or a trap or what not). Not that it happens, but the idea is nice. Can set up a farm anywhere and not have to worry about carrying a bunch of wire around on me.

EDIT: When I said "I can't think of a single melee weapon to use against Plantera" ... ok, there is Death Sickle. I did that once, and it worked rather well. But. Unless you have a perfect dungeon setup (assuming you're not cheating with hoiks: might as well just get any weapon you want from the builder's workshop at that point), you're probably not getting tablets early (Pre-Plantera) and so you must rely upon a Solar Eclipse happening after the 3 mechs but before Plantera, and, a Sickle needs to actually drop. You'd probably have better chances of winning the Powerball.

Last edited:
With all respect ... if you know "very little" about the Melee Class, then ... you can't really speak much on it.
Meanwhile, I specialize in it, it's what I play the most, so uh. Trust me on this?
I guess I have no choice but to... πŸ˜… πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Only the Death Sickle is really commonly used either because of Rarity, too much effort to craft (Phasesaber), or because there are simply better weapons around, or they are just impractical (Anchor, Breaker Blade).
I'm really trying to trust you on this but... I stand by Death Sickle, that Weapon was amazing in PvP and seemed to absolutely wreck certain Bosses [Mothron/ Nailhead]. Phasesabers, I don't really remember being too hard to craft...[goes to check], yeah, they only require fifty (50) Crystal Shards. πŸ€”πŸ΅

I can't really recall anything in early-Hardmode being threatening enough to make the Phasesaber useless... I did recall thinking about how much cooler it'd be if it had the On Fire! debuff baked-in but, you aren't wrong about there being better options. I remember replacing it almost as soon as I crafted it [can't remember with what though].

Breaker Blade is severely underrated IMHO! Just the knockback alone sold me on that Weapon [Titan Glove], my only gripe was that the Large modifier competes with Legendary in a bad way, and I'd prefer the difference between the two wasn't so... Large. I can acknowledge my bias here though, because I tend to use Minions no matter what Class I play as, and Minions with high knockback items are a match made in heaven I think [or Confusion debuff].

That and you're listing early hardmode weapons, rather than late hardmode. Wanna know what a typical Melee progression looks like? It's something like this... Wooden/Cactus Sword -> Ice Blade (if you find one) -> Night's Edge / Blood Butcherer -> Night's Edge (sometimes temporarily using the Fiery Greatsword for a short bit).

Then, once you're in Hardmode, it's usually something like this:

Bladetongue (a must get if you have Crimson!) -> Amarok -> Yelets -> Eye of Cthulhu/Terra Blade -> Solar Eruption/Daybreak. Now, of course, that's not strict and set in stone, there are a few other notable mentions, but most are not worth going out of your way to look for one. Vampire Knives and Scourge of the Corruptor can both have a place on your hotbar, but the keys are too difficult to farm for them specifically and are usually skipped.
I'll just add that OOA has some pretty cool Melee drops as well that I don't see get much mileage. πŸ€”πŸ΅

There are other weapons, like the Seedler (if it actually drops while it is still useful), the Death Sickle is also awesome if you get one to drop while it is still useful (Pre Terra Blade), and some of the Pre-Hardmode Yo-Yos can be reasonable substitutes for melee weapons, even post-nerf, an early Amazon can still be a reasonably effective weapon, and if you happen to get a Cascade to drop before killing the WoF, that can still work too.

But... here's the thing. Against the Mechs, Plantera, and Golem, what Melee weapons are actually useful?
It's honestly tough to say, because I use Minions almost all-the-time, the only thing I might add here is the Whip Summoner does pretty well against Golem and Skeletron Prime, I kinda feel like The Twins are specifically weak against Ranger and Mage, and almost a hard counter to any Class that needs to get close. However, once you get access to Hollowed Bars, you could just assault The Twins with tiered Weaponry, saving them for last.

I'm sure that might sound like a excuse but, I kinda feel like every Class struggles during certain parts of the game, but Melee especially because of it's typically weaker offense [though I'm speaking from popular opinion, as I think the DPS from Melee is pretty decent].

Bladetongue and the Fetid Baghnaks against The Destroyer, absolutely. But Prime and Twins? Absolutely not. Amarok will work against the Prime, but against the Twins, the range is a bit too short for my liking; I constantly get clipped with the green fire "breath" in the 2nd phase of the green eye because it's hard to actually deal damage and not get nailed with the fire streams, so I tend to not want to use Amarok for that. You could go to farm a Yelets, but it'll be much of the same, only slightly better DPS.
I kinda feel like Destroyer is free lunch no matter what Class you choose [if you're a veteran of course]. Skeletron Prime... I don't really see the issue with, even as a newcomer. Perhaps the only real threat is not breaking past it's defense in time before daybreak, which can certainly happen, but I think that Boss gives you more-than-enough opportunity to land meaningful hits.

Besides this, having access to Hollowed Armor [via Destroyer/ Skeletron Prime] sets nearly every Class into another entire tier bracket. I can't really see how anyone could be struggling with this set, even if they have bad Weapons. πŸ§πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Otherwise.... I can't think of a single actual good melee weapon to use against Twins, or Plantera. Plantera basically has the same problem Twins do -- everything that does Melee damage has too short of range, though you canuse a Yelets, I've done it. It's just not as easy as grabbing, say, a Megashark and using it despite wearing Melee armor (which is what I usually advise Newbies to do).

This is the problem with melee weapons lacking projectiles. They just aren't useful against fast-moving bosses with attacks like the aforementioned green fire.I'm fairly sure this is why Re-Logic gave so many late-game Melee weapons projectiles in the first place, to make sure they retained usefulness beyond killing small fry.
I suspect that projectiles won't be removed from Melee Weapons entirely, as having some range is kinda part of progression in Terraria, I just think they'll likely be adjusted to be more in-line with something like Death Sickle or Ghastly Glaive [speculation on my part]. πŸ€”πŸ΅

Here's a small hint: Gamers don't always know what they want / minorities speak the loudest. Some people love the "choices" (which aren't really choices, stick this NPC here, stick that NPC there, if you do anything else you're making do with suboptimal results), but most... didn't.

The most vocal of the playerbase said we wanted housing to matter, that we wanted NPCs to care about where they lived... but this was a case of "Be careful what you ask for...." and after implementing it, they went "Hmm, you know, this isn't as fun as it looked on paper...."
I don't see it that way, because trying to achieve 100% Happiness with every NPC, is like trying to do the most DPS possible in Terraria and considering anything less suboptimal. Not only is that untrue, but that's no different than getting 100% on the Bestiary, or collecting enough fish to get the SHM Achievement, or the Cellphone item; as if there was a "right way" to play. Yes, the Cellphone is probably the best teleporter tier, but I could just as easily say that Potions of Return are superior, and technically be correct.

What I'm getting at here is that Teleporters are superior to Pylons, so if this is somehow a subject of Transportation, Teleporters don't suffer from the same drawbacks as Pylons do, and they're arguably much easier to obtain. The reason I bring this up, is because the complaints are hardly legitimate, and when pressed, most Players admit that they hardly use most NPC services, in fact, to take it one step farther, Town Pets are really helpful when it comes to the Pylon system [and we're getting more].

It's certainly functional, even if you just put in a small effort. For example, the Mechanic, Goblin Tinkerer, and Demolitionist like being roommates; bam, one Cavern Pylon down. Typically the Dryad, Painter and Shaman tend to like one another, bam; Jungle Pylon down. With just these two, you can obtain a Magic Conch, Demon Conch, and Magic Mirror/ Recall Potion(s). You now have six (6) possible territories covered with minimal effort.

Total Fast Travel locations covered:
  1. Caverns/ Dungeon
  2. Both Ocean Biomes (2)
  3. The Underworld
  4. Jungle Surface or Underground Jungle (choose)
  5. Homebase (whatever Biome isn't covered [recall item])
I'd argue that obsessively chasing down Pylons is the least optimal way of playing. You're more likely to get the items listed above, much faster than you would certain Pylons [for almost the same results], and that's even counting if the newer system is much more lenient.

All of which apply after the initial stages of the game, and I don't know about you, but I like to start on the Angler's quests as soon as I get a Crimtane/Demonite fishing pole. Sometimes I start even earlier if I get lucky with worm/firefly spawns and get a bug net early enough.

This means I need to get to the ocean fast, and make sure I get a pylon there so I'm not having to spend 5 minutes out of a gameday schlepping it to the ocean to fish up a Clownfish or whatnot. Having a Pylon there makes that really easy. Also, Pylons are awesome for warping to near the dungeon, too. That's why I always build it on the side the Dungeon's on.
...or, and just hear my out on this one, visit the Underground Desert to see if you get the Magic Conch? One method is actual exploring and arguably enjoyable gameplay, whereas the other is obsessive Metagaming and likely not a very enjoyable experience. The only reason I formed this in a question, is because I've heard stories about the Underground Desert so... I won't assume that every player will find it "enjoyable". πŸ˜…πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ

Well... let's see.

The Demolitionist can be useful for grenades which are good early-game, though once I get a Crimtane/Demonite sword, I use Grenades a lot less (usually only the goblin invasion).
The Nurse? Never use her. Never needed to use her.
Tailor? I just buy a wig off him so I can hide the helmet.
Stylist? There's a certain hairstyle that I usually use that's not chooseable from chargen so it's nice to see her.
Dryad, I always buy planter boxes off her, 16-30 of each to start a trellis, one row per type of plant.
Mechanic, to buy the stuff needed for the Grand Design.

uh... other than that... can't really think of much else I do with the NPCs.
Funnily enough, if you're just approaching the game effectively, but maybe not totally obsessively, the Demolitionist's and Goblin Tinkerer's Happiness are somewhat tied together. If one is happy, the other should be reasonably happy as well [profit].

Oh, the Void Vault does wondersbut it doesn't reach the "miracles" category. I can still fill both my inventory and the VV up within 10 or so minutes of any jungle or dungeon foray.
And again.

It has nothing to do with the 9999 stack size. It has everything to do with the number of unique items thrown at you. Maybe I travel a bit heavy, though: I always carry fireflies and worms on me, a fishing pole (because I hate constantly fiddling with chests every time I go to do something), some rope (though I'll usually get rid of it after I build the hellevator), a stack of healing potions, weapon/pickaxe/axe, torches, gel (because I'm constantly picking it up anyhow), wood (always nice to be able to build something or more torches if you were to somehow run out), an item that tells you the time, and if I have one, a weather radio or equivalent, as well as location items. that's... probably almost half the regular inventory in stuff carried.

It really doesn't take long to fill the rest of that up. I also like to grab as much crap out of chests possible, 1g here, 1g there it really adds up and just leaving it laying around doesn't seem very productive, lol.

Maybe it's just my playstyle, but eh. /shrug

Also, wire not being an item anymore means I can, once I have the Grand Design, wire anything I want anywhere as long as I had what I'm wiring with me (a switch, or a statue, or a trap or what not). Not that it happens, but the idea is nice. Can set up a farm anywhere and not have to worry about carrying a bunch of wire around on me.
All good points, nothing to say to this really. I can see how having to rely on one-less-ingredient can be desirable, but I'm still indifferent on this one; doesn't seem like a real game changer to me.

EDIT: When I said "I can't think of a single melee weapon to use against Plantera" ... ok, there is Death Sickle. I did that once, and it worked rather well. But. Unless you have a perfect dungeon setup (assuming you're not cheating with hoiks: might as well just get any weapon you want from the builder's workshop at that point), you're probably not getting tablets early (Pre-Plantera) and so you must rely upon a Solar Eclipse happening after the 3 mechs but before Plantera, and, a Sickle needs to actually drop. You'd probably have better chances of winning the Powerball.
This was funny [very good post]! I'm glad you acknowledge the power of Death Sickle though... πŸ˜†πŸ˜‡

Last edited:
I'm really trying to trust you on this but... I stand by Death Sickle, that Weapon was amazing in PvP and seemed to absolutely wreck certain Bosses [Mothron/ Nailhead]. Phasesabers, I don't really remember being too hard to craft...[goes to check], yeah, they only require fifty (50) Crystal Shards. πŸ€”πŸ΅

Crystal Shards take time to "grow". They are not available during the first couple days of Hardmode (I've checked).

During that time, you could get either an Amarok, or better yet, the Bladetongue (which surpasses it in every way) if you have a Crimson World, and no, catching a Bladetongue is not that hard to do. But if you hate fishing... well... /shrug

As for the Death Sickle.. again.. it is awesome, if you get one while it is still relevant. And don't go basing anything in PvE upon how things work in PvP, they are two entirely different games.

The Death Sickle is good on some stuff, yeah. Sure. But, you won't be seeing it until the 3 mechs are dead, and again, unless you get lucky and you get a natural Eclipse spawn, you won't likely see an Eclipse until after you kill Plantera and gain access to the Temple.

If you're gonna do Eclipse post-Plantera, you might as well just go with the Terra Blade, which is better in every way just about. At least... before 1.4.4.

We'll see what they do with it in 1.4.4......
I can't really recall anything in early-Hardmode being threatening enough to make the Phasesaber useless... I did recall thinking about how much cooler it'd be if it had the On Fire! debuff baked-in but, you aren't wrong about there being better options. I remember replacing it almost as soon as I crafted it [can't remember with what though].

Other than, you know, the Bladetongue?

Have you ever USED that Monster?

It is ludicrously powerful. Not only does it have awesome damage (esp if you can get Legendary on it), but it also inflicts Ichor, AND it shows a piercing (only pierces once though) Ichor bolt. And with Legendary, the sword itself is huge, and it's Auto-swing and it has a rather nice swing timer on it.

If you have a Crimson world, it should definitely be the #1 thing you should go after the very moment you turn the world to Hardmode.

Just get one, and try it out. Trust me on this. Marvel at how fast it will wreck anything that's not a boss (or try it on Destroyer for maximum luls).
Breaker Blade is severely underrated IMHO! Just the knockback alone sold me on that Weapon [Titan Glove], my only gripe was that the Large modifier competes with Legendary in a bad way, and I'd prefer the difference between the two wasn't so... Large. I can acknowledge my bias here though, because I tend to use Minions no matter what Class I play as, and Minions with high knockback items are a match made in heaven I think [or Confusion debuff].

I don't like it's slow swinging, TBH. To each their own, I suppose? But it's way too slow for me. And for the pure melee person, Knockback without projectiles is a big fat, "NO". Knocking the enemy away from you lowers your DPS and makes it take longer to kill anything.

Sure, knockback is great if you're a summoner, but if you're a Melee wearing Melee armor? Nah. Get that nonsense outta here, until you get melee weapons with projectiles.

I'll just add that OOA has some pretty cool Melee drops as well that I don't see get much mileage. πŸ€”πŸ΅
Assuming you enjoy OOA... a lot of people don't. I'm "meh" on it myself, seems like it takes a lot of grinding and waiting. Meanwhile, I could get comparable weapons much faster.

It's honestly tough to say, because I use Minions almost all-the-time, the only thing I might add here is the Whip Summoner does pretty well against Golem and Skeletron Prime, I kinda feel like The Twins are specifically weak against Ranger and Mage, and almost a hard counter to any Class that needs to get close. However, once you get access to Hollowed Bars, you could just assault The Twins with tiered Weaponry, saving them for last.

Eh, I just get a Megashark and laugh while wearing melee armor. sure it takes awhile to kill them, but there's almost zero danger there whatsoever.

I'm sure that might sound like a excuse but, I kinda feel like every Class struggles during certain parts of the game, but Melee especially because of it's typically weaker offense [though I'm speaking from popular opinion, as I think the DPS from Melee is pretty decent].

The biggest problem with melee is the lack of good ranged weaponry until way late-game, but once you get to that, it pays off. Solar Eruption is pure sex in a weapon, it looks awesome, it sounds awesome when you hit stuff with it, and it just makes you feel all the tingly feelings when you shred Golem in like 10 seconds flat with it.

I kinda feel like Destroyer is free lunch no matter what Class you choose [if you're a veteran of course]. Skeletron Prime... I don't really see the issue with, even as a newcomer. Perhaps the only real threat is not breaking past it's defense in time before daybreak, which can certainly happen, but I think that Boss gives you more-than-enough opportunity to land meaningful hits.

It's more about knowing to get rid of the laser and the saw arms first, using platforms above the ground to avoid the cannonballs so you can ignore that arm, etc. But it does take at least a little bit of range to pull that off; the laser arm likes to try and stay away from you, and the saw arm likes to zip in, saw, and zip out, and having some range is good for that too.

If you're a melee, a yo-yo gives you plenty range.

Destroyer probably is free lunch to everybody, but especially melee, because... well, it's a worm. lol.

Besides this, having access to Hollowed Armor [via Destroyer/ Skeletron Prime] sets nearly every Class into another entire tier bracket. I can't really see how anyone could be struggling with this set, even if they have bad Weapons. πŸ§πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

I never use Hallowed Armor to be honest. I usually go Adamantite, straight to Turtle Armor. But, after recent nerfs to ore crate fishing, I tried Princess Slime's armor and that set works just as well as Adamantite lol. Maybe even just a slice better.

I suspect that projectiles won't be removed from Melee Weapons entirely, as having some range is kinda part of progression in Terraria, I just think they'll likely be adjusted to be more in-line with something like Death Sickle or Ghastly Glaive [speculation on my part]. πŸ€”πŸ΅

It's hard to say. I want to give Re-Logic a chance and not naysay before the patch is even out, but it is a worry of mine that all the good weapons I like will end up in a state that I won't like and I will feel like the whole thing is ruined.

Just a worry. /shrug

I don't see it that way, because trying to achieve 100% Happiness with even NPC, is like trying to do the most DPS possible in Terraria and considering anything else suboptimal. Not only is that untrue, but that no different than getting 100% on the Bestiary, or collecting enough fish to get the Achievement, or the Cellphone item; as if there was a "right way" to play. Yes, the Cellphone is probably the best teleporter tier, but I could just as easily say that Potions of Return are superior, and technically be correct.

There's a little difference between wanting happy NPCs and trying to do the highest DPS, lol.

As far as the Cellphone, it's more that the Cellphone is the combination of a lot of info devices *AND* a teleportation item all in one, so you don't have to carry multiple around. Like I said earlier in the thread, I always have something that tells the time because I do the daily fishing quests, and I always have a mirror or potions. The Cellphone would do both, and also give me access to any other information I want, like the weather (so I know when it rains, for example).

What I'm getting at here is that Teleporters are superior to Pylons, so if this is somehow a subject of Transportation, Teleporters don't suffer from the same drawbacks as Pylons do, and they're arguably much easier to obtain. The reason I bring this up, is because the complaints are hardly legitimate, and when pressed, most Players admit that they hardly use most NPC services, in fact, to take it one step farther, Town Pets are really helpful when it comes to the Pylon system [and we're getting more].

Pylons are available from the very beginning of the game.
Teleporters require you to defeat a mech to get the Steampunker to move in.

Saying Teleporters are superior is irrelevant when we're talking about early-game.

And sure, pets work for Pylons, but you need to actually BUY the Pylons, and for that, you need an NPC happy enough to sell you one in the correct biome and as I pointed out earlier, trying to get someone at the Ocean happy enough to sell you an ocean pylon can be annoying during early-game.

It's certainly functional, even if you just put in a small effort. For example, the Mechanic, Goblin Tinkerer, and Demolitionist like being roommates; bam, one Cavern Pylon down. Typically the Dryad, Painter and Shaman tend to like one another, bam; Jungle Pylon down. With just these two, you can obtain a Magic Conch, Demon Conch, and Magic Mirror/ Recall Potion(s). You now have six (6) possible territories covered with minimal effort.

Total Fast Travel locations covered:
  1. Caverns/ Dungeon
  2. Both Ocean Biomes (2)
  3. The Underworld
  4. Jungle Surface or Underground Jungle (choose)
  5. Homebase (whatever Biome isn't covered [recall item])
I'd argue that obsessively chasing down Pylons is the least optimal way of playing. You're more likely to get the items listed above, much faster than you would certain Pylons [for almost the same results], and that's even counting if the newer system is much more lenient.

I don't "obsessively chase down Pylons", and...

...or, and just hear my out on this one, visit the Underground Desert to see if you get the Magic Conch? One method is actual exploring and arguably enjoyable gameplay, whereas the other is obsessive Metagaming and likely not a very enjoyable experience. The only reason I formed this in a question, is because I've heard stories about the Underground Desert so... I won't assume that every player will find it "enjoyable". πŸ˜…πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ

The underground desert? At early game?

lol.

That place is a hellhole early-game. The enemies have way too much defense, and do way too much damage to survive in there for long at the early stages of the game. Heck, the rolling cactus which are everywhere, do 100+ damage if you have pre-boss armor. That's on NORMAL.

This is why, afterall, the Mandible Sword or whatever it's called is such a useless item. The miniscule damage it does, compared to it's low drop rate, and what you have to kill to get it, makes it probably one of the most useless early game weapons.

Crystal Shards take time to "grow". They are not available during the first couple days of Hardmode (I've checked).
Perhaps, but do keep in mind that the option to sleep was also added in 1.4. Though I would agree it's likely not worth doing for simply that Weapon alone, it could easily be on a person's "things to do while I'm out" list, no problem.

During that time, you could get either an Amarok, or better yet, the Bladetongue (which surpasses it in every way) if you have a Crimson World, and no, catching a Bladetongue is not that hard to do. But if you hate fishing... well... /shrug
I'm actually a Fishing advocate in 1.4+, it's been greatly improved IMHO. I guess it all mostly comes down to what a Player has been doing up until that point in the game, and if getting either option is easier or harder, faster [quicker] or slower. Because I personally enjoy the carryover items [items that can be upgraded later in the game], there might be some bias with my efficiency to creating them so quickly? I'll always enjoy an "instant upgrade" over waiting any day, which I place Meteorite and Spider Gear in near-the-same category.

As for the Death Sickle.. again.. it is awesome, if you get one while it is still relevant. And don't go basing anything in PvE upon how things work in PvP, they are two entirely different games.
Just to be clear, I was addressing the Weapon's efficiency specifically, in short, if you can hit a smaller, fast-moving-target with Death Sickle in PvP, you can certainly hit a Boss with it. Though I agree the two modes greatly differ, some things will inevitably remain pretty consistent.

The Death Sickle is good on some stuff, yeah. Sure. But, you won't be seeing it until the 3 mechs are dead, and again, unless you get lucky and you get a natural Eclipse spawn, you won't likely see an Eclipse until after you kill Plantera and gain access to the Temple.
Wait... I don't think that's correct...[goes to check], the Wiki is suggesting that only one Mech Boss is required to be defeated to trigger a Solar Eclipse Event [which seems consistent with my experience]. Because I'm not 100% sure on that, I'll put a pin in this until I can confirm it either way... πŸ“Œ

If you're gonna do Eclipse post-Plantera, you might as well just go with the Terra Blade, which is better in every way just about. At least... before 1.4.4.

We'll see what they do with it in 1.4.4......
I can't properly assess this suggestion until I'm certain about how early it's possible to trigger a Solar Eclipse Event. If you're right about all three Mech having to be downed, then I have no doubt this is the likely better option. πŸ€” 🍡

Other than, you know, the Bladetongue?

Have you ever USED that Monster?

It is ludicrously powerful...Just get one, and try it out. Trust me on this. Marvel at how fast it will wreck anything that's not a boss (or try it on Destroyer for maximum luls).
Funnily enough, I've never held, seen, or found one in all my years of playing, LoL. I didn't even know it existed until I joined these Forums. πŸ˜… πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

I don't like it's slow swinging, TBH. To each their own, I suppose? But it's way too slow for me. And for the pure melee person, Knockback without projectiles is a big fat, "NO". Knocking the enemy away from you lowers your DPS and makes it take longer to kill anything.

Sure, knockback is great if you're a summoner, but if you're a Melee wearing Melee armor? Nah. Get that nonsense outta here, until you get melee weapons with projectiles.
I've suspected for quite a while now, that some of these outlier Weapons were intentionally designed with Hybrid Players in mind. Though I wouldn't call it "optimal gameplay", swatting enemies half-screen away and then watching them explode only-seconds-later was super satisfying [Breaker Blade + Cursed Flask buff]! 😩😌

Assuming you enjoy OOA... a lot of people don't. I'm "meh" on it myself, seems like it takes a lot of grinding and waiting. Meanwhile, I could get comparable weapons much faster.
I've never really considered OOA to be grindy, but it did admittedly take a bit longer than I'd often like. I just like killing Enemies, and getting good at it. The stuff you get from it is also pretty "progression skippy" if done correctly, so I always looked at the time-sink as a necessary evil.

The biggest problem with melee is the lack of good ranged weaponry until way late-game, but once you get to that, it pays off. Solar Eruption is pure sex in a weapon, it looks awesome, it sounds awesome when you hit stuff with it, and it just makes you feel all the tingly feelings when you shred Golem in like 10 seconds flat with it.
Had to check to make sure it was the Weapon that I thought it was, and I was correct...[assumed it was a pre-Golem item because of how this was worded].

I never use Hallowed Armor to be honest. I usually go Adamantite, straight to Turtle Armor. But, after recent nerfs to ore crate fishing, I tried Princess Slime's armor and that set works just as well as Adamantite lol. Maybe even just a slice better.
I personally skip it as well, it's a bit too busted for my taste, and like you're suggesting, there are other comparable options that seem arguably just-as-good, but a bit more "fair", if you can even call 'em that.

It's hard to say. I want to give Re-Logic a chance and not naysay before the patch is even out, but it is a worry of mine that all the good weapons I like will end up in a state that I won't like and I will feel like the whole thing is ruined.

Just a worry. /shrug
Trust and believe when I say that I fully understand... the way that Summoner Class has been tweaked, twisted and turned-about was gut-wrenching to watch! Luckily they eventually pulled it off, but boy was that one crazy tightrope walk!! :nursesigh:

There's a little difference between wanting happy NPCs and trying to do the highest DPS, lol.
Only in the context of optimal gaming, once you start having that discussion, the premise is pretty narrow. It pretty much goes like this... "what's more important you, fun or perfection"? That of course opens up a can-o-worms I'm sure neither of us wanna open or get into...

As far as the Cellphone, it's more that the Cellphone is the combination of a lot of info devices *AND* a teleportation item all in one, so you don't have to carry multiple around. Like I said earlier in the thread, I always have something that tells the time because I do the daily fishing quests, and I always have a mirror or potions. The Cellphone would do both, and also give me access to any other information I want, like the weather (so I know when it rains, for example).
...see, exactly that! Most of this stuff is about personal taste and context. That's why it's very difficult to suggest what optimal is in Terraria, because it'll mostly all depend on what kind of gaming experience you want. For example: We can all mostly agree that Pylons are great, fun to have as early as humanly possible, and make traversing the World substantially easier; even still, a speed-runner would likely ignore all of 'em, and breeze across Terraria faster than any of us could say "Pie-Lawn".

Pylons are available from the very beginning of the game.
Teleporters require you to defeat a mech to get the Steampunker to move in.
This isn't quite true, which is why discussions like these are important to have. In reality, there are quite a few boxes the Player needs to check before a Pylon is "functional", being able to purchase a Pylon, and being able to actually use it... separate things. ☝️🧐

What's being compared here are the steps required for them to both function, the pros and cons to using each, and how efficient they are when the score-card comes in [when you get them is a fair point to add in as well]. No matter how you slice it, Teleporters will always win, because there are very few instances where they'll stop functioning.

Note: Keep in mind that this was referencing optimal and suboptimal gameplay, and how fragile the concept is in Terraria.

Saying Teleporters are superior is irrelevant when we're talking about early-game.
Perhaps, but I did describe in my earlier post how just dabbling in Pylon play can yield similar results to actually having most-all of them. The same can't be said for a Teleporter Build, two different leagues, which is why context is important, "what exactly do yopu mean when you say that", in which the answer is "pre-Hardmode", and that makes all-the-difference. ☝️🧐

And sure, pets work for Pylons, but you need to actually BUY the Pylons, and for that, you need an NPC happy enough to sell you one in the correct biome and as I pointed out earlier, trying to get someone at the Ocean happy enough to sell you an ocean pylon can be annoying during early-game.
Exactly my point, but again... I did address this already. It's not too difficult to get similar results, with much less "grinding" or obsessing. It's important to reinforce this idea, because Pylons Networks are very fragile, for the amount of effort they take to set up.

The underground desert? At early game?..That place is a hellhole early-game. The enemies have way too much defense, and do way too much damage to survive in there for long at the early stages of the game. Heck, the rolling cactus which are everywhere, do 100+ damage if you have pre-boss armor. That's on NORMAL.
I mean, it was just a suggestion... I will just add that I disagree, but this is likely one of those personal taste-type topics so... πŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Last edited:
Perhaps, but do keep in mind that the option to sleep was also added in 1.4. Though I would agree it's likely not worth doing for simply that Weapon alone, it could easily be on a person's "things to do while I'm out" list, no problem.

I'm actually a Fishing advocate in 1.4+, it's been greatly improved IMHO. I guess it all mostly comes down to what a Player has been doing up until that point in the game, and if getting either option is easier or harder, faster [quicker] or slower. Because I personally enjoy the carryover items [items that can be upgraded later in the game], there might be some bias with my efficiency to creating them so quickly? I'll always enjoy an "instant upgrade" over waiting any day, which I place Meteorite and Spider Gear in near-the-same category.

Well, if you're a fishing advocate then you're likely to have the GFR pre hardmode, right? I always do.

And if you have the GFR, you also likely have the tackle bag, a good amount of bait, and the clothes. These combined, along with crate/fishing potions, it usually only takes a game day or two to catch a Bladetongue as soon as the world goes Hardmode.

Just to be clear, I was addressing the Weapon's efficiency specifically, in short, if you can hit a smaller, fast-moving-target with Death Sickle in PvP, you can certainly hit a Boss with it. Though I agree the two modes greatly differ, some things will inevitably remain pretty consistent.

Oh, sure it'll hit bosses, but again, the range is gonna be a problem with Twins. it will wreck the destroyer, just like anything else would, and Prime? Well, it'd be an ok weapon I suppose. But, again...

Wait... I don't think that's correct...[goes to check], the Wiki is suggesting that only one Mech Boss is required to be defeated to trigger a Solar Eclipse Event [which seems consistent with my experience]. Because I'm not 100% sure on that, I'll put a pin in this until I can confirm it either way... πŸ“Œ

Yes, you can get a Solar Eclipse as soon as 1 mech is down.

BUT.

The mobs that drop the Sickle do not spawn that early, just like Mothron does not spawn until Plantera is dead.

The only Eclipse items you can get with 1 mech down IIRC, are the Shell and... I think the Vampire Charm? not 100% sure on that.

The Sickle, and a couple other items come into play once all 3 mechs are dead.

I can't properly assess this suggestion until I'm certain about how early it's possible to trigger a Solar Eclipse Event. If you're right about all three Mech having to be downed, then I have no doubt this is the likely better option. πŸ€” 🍡

Funnily enough, I've never held, seen, or found one in all my years of playing, LoL. I didn't even know it existed until I joined these Forums. πŸ˜… πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Try it! It is really awesome. All you gotta do is fish in the Crimson until you catch one.

I've suspected for quite a while now, that some of these outlier Weapons were intentionally designed with Hybrid Players in mind. Though I wouldn't call it "optimal gameplay", swatting enemies half-screen away and then watching them explode only-seconds-later was super satisfying [Breaker Blade + Cursed Flask buff]! 😩😌

Perhaps. But I was going off the assumption that Melee was the subject, and not "Summoner-using-melee-weapons", lol.

This isn't quite true, which is why discussions like these are important to have. In reality, there are quite a few boxes the Player needs to check before a Pylon is "functional", being able to purchase a Pylon, and being able to actually use it... separate things. ☝️🧐

All you need for a Pylon to work is to 1). buy it, and 2). have 2 NPCs near it. And as you pointed out earlier, a pet works.

Well, if you can buy a Pylon, then you already have half of the requirements to use it.

Several of the NPCs are unlocked during natural course of play: the Nurse automatically comes along when you use your first Heart Stone, the Dryad shows up the first time you kill a boss, the Demolitionist shows up the first time you loot a bomb (which are found in nearly every single chest ever), the first time you pick up a dye related item, the Dye Trader shows up, the Merchant shows up when you get 50s to your name.

Finding NPCs to make a Pylon glow isn't hard. It happens naturally as long as you build boxes for them to live in. Heck, sometimes I find myself not building fast enough and having NPCs waiting in the queue to join the world, lol.

Back
Top Bottom