I'm excited about Terraria again but...

All this talk about melee weapons and no mention of shadowflame knife? That's my go to early hardmode. I go out of my way to summon goblin armies until I get one.

I also found the mushroom spear to do a decent job at taking down plantera if a death sickle won't drop for you.

All this talk about melee weapons and no mention of shadowflame knife?
I do remember most of the Shadowflame Weapons being pretty good, but I usually gravitated toward the Bow [if any]. It might've been one time recently when I gave it a spin, but I think it was quickly replaced by Dart Rifle. Certainly a cool Weapon, but not one I spent enough time with to see any unique features or properties it might've had. 🤔 🍵

That's my go to early hardmode. I go out of my way to summon goblin armies until I get one.
Now I'm curious, might have to give that Weapon a proper whirl once the Update(s) comes out.

I also found the mushroom spear to do a decent job at taking down plantera if a death sickle won't drop for you.
I've been meaning to check that Weapon out myself, seeing as how I don't recall there being any Mushroom-based Weaponry in the game save for Shroomite Stuff. I always had a theory that the Mushroom Biome was mostly peaceful, but there might be some secrets there [though this is more about lore than Weaponry].

If Mushroom Spear is comparable to Death Sickle, I'm very interested... 🤔 🍵

Late reply but I just got reconnected after a move.

I think the reason I like the shadowflame knife is because it is, to the best of my recollection, the first projectile based melee weapon that can be fired quickly. Early game and even most early hardmode melee options have a hefty cooldown on their projectiles meaning ranged dps with them is quite awful. The fact it bounces off the initial target to hit more mobs and inflicts the shadowflame debuff just sweetens the deal.

Of course all this matters little if you're not trying to stick to melee damage and you're right, dart weapons probably perform better. For me, I'm almost always going to wear melee armor with a few exceptions (daytime EoL and first kill ML on 3.0/master difficulty) and if I'm doing that, might as well use a melee damage weapon.

There is another option that works well early hardmode but I feel like outside of Journey Mode, its rarity would be a big obstacle. I'm talking about the bananarang. Clowns are simply too rare to get 10 stacks of it in a reasonable time in any other difficulty, I feel.

As for the mushroom spear, I wasn't trying to say it can match the death sickle in dps, simply that it can get the job done and is available with just money so very easy to get. Of course if you're willing to mine some chlorophyte, the chlorophyte partisan would probably be better to some degree because its projectile can pierce. Of course these are only suggested alternatives if one cannot get a death sickle as that weapon beats both spears in dps.

I think the reason I like the shadowflame knife is because it is, to the best of my recollection, the first projectile based melee weapon that can be fired quickly. Early game and even most early hardmode melee options have a hefty cooldown on their projectiles meaning ranged dps with them is quite awful. The fact it bounces off the initial target to hit more mobs and inflicts the shadowflame debuff just sweetens the deal.
Well, a good measuring stick I like to use [when judging a weapon's overall effectiveness] is, once you obtain Shadowflame Knives, around what point in progression do you personally feel that Weapon start to lose effectiveness [taper-off], or struggle?

For example, Dart Rifle [at least for me] seems to be effective all-the-way-up-to, if not even past Plantera [though it struggles during post-Plantera/ Golem, Solar Eclipse & Dungeon].

Of course all this matters little if you're not trying to stick to melee damage and you're right, dart weapons probably perform better. For me, I'm almost always going to wear melee armor with a few exceptions (daytime EoL and first kill ML on 3.0/master difficulty) and if I'm doing that, might as well use a melee damage weapon.
Makes perfect sense to get the most out of your preferred loadout, but I tend to use Ranger Weapons quite a bit, while mostly ignoring the obvious bonuses [save for Ranger Emblem]. I normally run Summoner Hybrid, mostly leaning toward Sentry-focused Builds if possible; and if not, just run Nimbus and Clinger Staff.

Can't wait to try 1.4.4 (1.5?) Melee though, never had a legit reason to before TBH... 😏 🤷‍♂️

There is another option that works well early hardmode but I feel like outside of Journey Mode, its rarity would be a big obstacle. I'm talking about the bananarang. Clowns are simply too rare to get 10 stacks of it in a reasonable time in any other difficulty, I feel.
That's very good to know, because as you said... leave to to Journey Mode, you'd leave Terraria thinking that they [Clowns] give those Bananas out like candy!

As for the mushroom spear, I wasn't trying to say it can match the death sickle in dps, simply that it can get the job done and is available with just money so very easy to get. Of course if you're willing to mine some chlorophyte, the chlorophyte partisan would probably be better to some degree because its projectile can pierce. Of course these are only suggested alternatives if one cannot get a death sickle as that weapon beats both spears in dps.
I'm gonna test-drive the ---- outta Melee Class! That side of the game is mostly uncharted territory for me, though I do have a ton of experience with several Specialty Melee Weapons like Yoyo's (Scourge of the Corruptor, North Pole, Flying Dragon).

Regarding the measuring stick question, I feel like in terms of boss effectiveness, the mech bosses are the last ones I kill with the shadowflame knife. There's just better melee options for Plantera. The knife retains use while I'm exploring the jungle getting lifefruit/chlorophyte but that's about it. And after Plantera well... in the current version at least, the Terra Blade just eclipses the knife as soon as you get it. Not sure what that rework is gonna do to the Terra Blade (fingers crossed that it isn't nerfed).

I do love that you mentioned Scourge of the Corruptor as that's what I tend to use to farm solar eclipse for that broken hero sword.

I will provide a tip about getting an Early Death Sickle, though, since it is probably the single best melee weapon to use on Plantera (in terms of practicality and availability without sequence breaking):

If you don't wanna cheat and use hoiks, there's a "legitimate" way to stretch the rules and game mechanics a little to get yourself a tablet (or as many of them as you like) before killing Plantera, though it depends on a little RNG when you first made your world:

There's two methods, and the one is almost always viable, and the other is usually but not always viable. The first, you can merely stand up against the Temple Door, and because you are standing in front of Temple backwall, Lihzarhds and Flying Serpents will spawn in, and outside the Temple. Simply kill them. This method is very slow unless you manipulate your environment to eliminate or funnel all newly-spawning enemies so that they spawn nearby or are funneled to your location so you can kill them.

The second, much better option, if it is viable, is look at how the door and the first few blocks are just beyond the door, inside the Temple. Quite often, there's usually a 1-2 block dip in the floor right next to the door. If there is, you're in luck! Take a lava bucket or two and fill this dip with lava and wait for Lihzarhds to die in the lava and simply pick up the tablets through the door.

You can even use these two methods in Pre-Hardmode (though killing Lihzarhds with pre-HM weapons is not easy, the Night's Edge is obviously your best choice, but if you get hit, it will hurt bad with Pre-HM armor), but the Solar Eclipse cannot spawn until Hardmode, and as I said earlier in the thread, there's no point to doing this until the 3 mechs are down, but you can farm the Tablets up early if you have nothing else to do while waiting on game days to pass for some other reason (such as the fishing quests).

Last edited:
Regarding the measuring stick question, I feel like in terms of boss effectiveness, the mech bosses are the last ones I kill with the shadowflame knife. There's just better melee options for Plantera. The knife retains use while I'm exploring the jungle getting lifefruit/chlorophyte but that's about it. And after Plantera well... in the current version at least, the Terra Blade just eclipses the knife as soon as you get it. Not sure what that rework is gonna do to the Terra Blade (fingers crossed that it isn't nerfed).
Okay, so they're just slightly above Mech Boss Tier, but drop severely near the end of post-Mech [or more accurately, outclassed by better Melee options almost immediately after].

I do love that you mentioned Scourge of the Corruptor as that's what I tend to use to farm solar eclipse for that broken hero sword.
Aesthetically I think that Weapon goes so well with Cursed Flask(s), but I've often suspected that it might perform slightly better with Ichor [though finding a way to effectively inflict both debuffs would be ideal]; but yeah, very effective Weapon, likely in my top 10 favorites in Terraria [top 20 in video games]!

You can even use these two methods in Pre-Hardmode (though killing Lihzarhds with pre-HM weapons is not easy, the Night's Edge is obviously your best choice, but if you get hit, it will hurt bad with Pre-HM armor), but the Solar Eclipse cannot spawn until Hardmode, and as I said earlier in the thread, there's no point to doing this until the 3 mechs are down, but you can farm the Tablets up early if you have nothing else to do while waiting on game days to pass for some other reason (such as the fishing quests).
This is interesting... because I've tried exploring the Jungle Temple in pre-Hardmode & early-Hardmode during different iterations of Terraria [mostly 1.3.5], and it was never worth the effort; only "normal" enemies would spawn there until Plantera was downed. I'm wondering exactly when this change happened, because I wanted the Lihzahrd Temple to be part of an elaborate Adventure map I was making, but couldn't get it to function properly, in any way, unless I specifically flagged Plantera as defeated. 🤔 🍵

This is interesting... because I've tried exploring the Jungle Temple in pre-Hardmode & early-Hardmode during different iterations of Terraria [mostly 1.3.5], and it was never worth the effort; only "normal" enemies would spawn there until Plantera was downed. I'm wondering exactly when this change happened, because I wanted the Lihzahrd Temple to be part of an elaborate Adventure map I was making, but couldn't get it to function properly, in any way, unless I specifically flagged Plantera as defeated.

Huh? Really?

Lemme check the wiki...

According to the wiki..

• While the Jungle Temple is usually only accessed after Plantera has been defeated (although there are unconventional methods to enter prior to that; see details), Lihzahrds and Flying Snakes can be made to spawn even before Hardmode begins, by standing in front of natural Lihzahrd Brick Walls at the entrance to the Temple.
  • Lihzahrds will spawn on any Lihzahrd Bricks as long as the player is in front of a natural Lihzahrd Brick Wall, specifically behind the middle right space that the player occupies.

This is exactly the behavior I noticed pre-1.4 (yes, during 1.3.5). There are no notes saying that this changed with 1.4+ so I am going to assume that this is still the intended behavior.

Maybe it's because you tried placing your own Lihzarhd Brick Walls? It has to be the naturally spawned ones.

This is exactly the behavior I noticed pre-1.4 (yes, during 1.3.5). There are no notes saying that this changed with 1.4+ so I am going to assume that this is still the intended behavior.
I'm honestly at a loss-for-words, if you knew the thousands of crazy hours I've poured into trying to solve this ----ing mystery, only for it to not even be a mystery... 😵‍💫 o_O

Maybe it's because you tried placing your own Lihzarhd Brick Walls? It has to be the naturallyspawned ones.
...that's the only thing though, it shouldn't have worked post-Plantera then either, because player-brick won't spawn enemies, not matter what surface-level you're on. I had to learn that the hard way, accidently using naturally spawning Hive Wall in a "safe zone build", wondering why Zombies kept spawning in [via tEdit].

I just have to accept that I somehow didn't try everything, even if it feels like I tried everything. o_O 🤷‍♂️

Did you use mods, or tEdit to place said walls? It could be that some kind of glitch happened.

Did you use mods, or tEdit to place said walls? It could be that some kind of glitch happened.
Well, I initially did the first set of experiments on a Vanilla World Map, but it's not possible to test "Depth" and "Progression Triggers" with static Biomes. That's the only time I went messing about with placing Biomes at different "Depth Levels" [tEdit], to see what would change. For example, getting 1-2 Lihzarhrds to spawn as Mini-Bosses in pre-Hardmode is tough [I mean, hotd--n is it tough]. However, getting that to happen on a Vanilla Map is nearly impossible.

Surprisingly enough, it's virtually impossible to predict what "Naturally Spawning Wall" will or won't do; and that's mostly because many enemies only spawn under very specific circumstances [some taking thousands of hours of trial and error to discover, i.e. Biome Mimics]. It's very possible that I ran into some kind of glitch, but I ran almost everything through a pretty rigorous check-list, so coming up short on Jungle Temple really "ruffles my Jimmies". o_O 🍵

With all respect ... if you know "very little" about the Melee Class, then ... you can't really speak much on it.

Meanwhile, I specialize in it, it's what I play the most, so uh. Trust me on this?

Of that list...

Only the Death Sickle is really commonly used either because of Rarity, too much effort to craft (Phasesaber), or because there are simply better weapons around, or they are just impractical (Anchor, Breaker Blade).

That and you're listing early hardmode weapons, rather than late hardmode. Wanna know what a typical Melee progression looks like? It's something like this...

Wooden/Cactus Sword -> Ice Blade (if you find one) -> Night's Edge / Blood Butcherer -> Night's Edge (sometimes temporarily using the Fiery Greatsword for a short bit).

Then, once you're in Hardmode, it's usually something like this:

Bladetongue (a must get if you have Crimson!) -> Amarok -> Yelets -> Eye of Cthulhu/Terra Blade -> Solar Eruption/Daybreak.

Now, of course, that's not strict and set in stone, there are a few other notable mentions, but most are not worth going out of your way to look for one. Vampire Knives and Scourge of the Corruptor can both have a place on your hotbar, but the keys are too difficult to farm for them specifically and are usually skipped.

There are other weapons, like the Seedler (if it actually drops while it is still useful), the Death Sickle is also awesome if you get one to drop while it is still useful (Pre Terra Blade), and some of the Pre-Hardmode Yo-Yos can be reasonable substitutes for melee weapons, even post-nerf, an early Amazon can still be a reasonably effective weapon, and if you happen to get a Cascade to drop before killing the WoF, that can still work too.

But... here's the thing.

Against the Mechs, Plantera, and Golem, what Melee weapons are actually useful?

Bladetongue and the Fetid Baghnaks against The Destroyer, absolutely. But Prime and Twins? Absolutely not. Amarok will work against the Prime, but against the Twins, the range is a bit too short for my liking; I constantly get clipped with the green fire "breath" in the 2nd phase of the green eye because it's hard to actually deal damage and not get nailed with the fire streams, so I tend to not want to use Amarok for that. You could go to farm a Yelets, but it'll be much of the same, only slightly better DPS.

Otherwise.... I can't think of a single actual good melee weapon to use against Twins, or Plantera. Plantera basically has the same problem Twins do -- everything that does Melee damage has too short of range, though you can use a Yelets, I've done it. It's just not as easy as grabbing, say, a Megashark and using it despite wearing Melee armor (which is what I usually advise Newbies to do).

This is the problem with melee weapons lacking projectiles. They just aren't useful against fast-moving bosses with attacks like the aforementioned green fire.

I'm fairly sure this is why Re-Logic gave so many late-game Melee weapons projectiles in the first place, to make sure they retained usefulness beyond killing small fry.

EDIT: When I said "I can't think of a single melee weapon to use against Plantera" ... ok, there is Death Sickle. I did that once, and it worked rather well. But. Unless you have a perfect dungeon setup (assuming you're not cheating with hoiks: might as well just get any weapon you want from the builder's workshop at that point), you're probably not getting tablets early (Pre-Plantera) and so you must rely upon a Solar Eclipse happening after the 3 mechs but before Plantera, and, a Sickle needs to actually drop. You'd probably have better chances of winning the Powerball.
Aside from the difficulty obtaining it what problems did you have with the Seedler? From my experience it generally scales quite well into the post Plantera content as it has a different niche which allows it to hold up to the Terra blade's DPS thanks to the explosive seeds being able to hit around corners. Sure it becomes outclassed if you are fortunate to get the Corruption Key to access The Scourge of the Corruptor but it does well in the Dungeon from experience.

Also while it doesn't really work anymore due to the hard nerf the Fetid Baghnakhs received in 1.4 and probably wouldn't have worked on Master you used to be able to with great effectiveness run a pure Melee speed and defense build against Plantera on Expert with the Fetid Baghnakhs. It worked because you were able to out DPS Plantera.
While its obviously more difficult now you can still utilize the higher defense of Turtle armor and ichor flasks. Obviously the Arena you use plays a big role in success or failure but yeah the weapons options aside from Yo-yos and the coveted best in slot Death Sickle are somewhat limited. the Chlorophyte Partisan and or Mushroom spear can at least be usable albeit risky particularly in Plantera's first form. Then if you account for other fairly rare weapons the Sergeant United Shield and Drippler Crippler can be useful too but they suffer more serious obtainability issues. Usually I have resorted to the True swords particularly Excalibur for the fight which obviously is irrelevant given the rework.

As for another rare weapon which can dramatically effect a playthrough In prehardmode if you are lucky enough to get the Mechanic's Wrench that is pretty amazing(for a prehardmode melee weapon) It doesn't sit right that you have to murder the mechanic regularly to get it though.

Aside from the difficulty obtaining it what problems did you have with the Seedler? From my experience it generally scales quite well into the post Plantera content as it has a different niche which allows it to hold up to the Terra blade's DPS thanks to the explosive seeds being able to hit around corners. Sure it becomes outclassed if you are fortunate to get the Corruption Key to access The Scourge of the Corruptor but it does well in the Dungeon from experience.
See, that's the thing:

I've never obtained a Seedler while it was still relevant and as such, I never had the opportunity to use it during its intended progression. As for the dungeon, the Terra Blade always worked just fine, though I will admit, the two playthroughs where I actually got a Scourge, it worked rather well too, as did a Flairon (I think that's the name of it). I would always carry a Nimbus Rod for those around-the-corner kills, and set up farming zones where I could just sit in a spot and let enemies fall into a pit and keep a pair of clouds up and just watch them die while in (almost) complete safety.

Also while it doesn't really work anymore due to the hard nerf the Fetid Baghnakhs received in 1.4 and probably wouldn't have worked on Master you used to be able to with great effectiveness run a pure Melee speed and defense build against Plantera on Expert with the Fetid Baghnakhs. It worked because you were able to out DPS Plantera.
While its obviously more difficult now you can still utilize the higher defense of Turtle armor and ichor flasks. Obviously the Arena you use plays a big role in success or failure but yeah the weapons options aside from Yo-yos and the coveted best in slot Death Sickle are somewhat limited. the Chlorophyte Partisan and or Mushroom spear can at least be usable albeit risky particularly in Plantera's first form. Then if you account for other fairly rare weapons the Sergeant United Shield and Drippler Crippler can be useful too but they suffer more serious obtainability issues. Usually I have resorted to the True swords particularly Excalibur for the fight which obviously is irrelevant given the rework.

The lack of melee options is why I usually get a Megashark, yes. If I can't get a Death Sickle, then my 2nd choice is always a Megashark. It's slower because you're using an out-of-class weapon, but it will do the job just fine if you're patient and you set up some campfires/lanterns to help get yourself some longevity. That is, of course, not on Expert/Master which I don't play. I miss the days when the Terra Blade was obtainable pre-Plantera, but it really did make the poor sack of leaves a joke and I can see why they moved Mothron to after Plantera because it was just too easy.

As for another rare weapon which can dramatically effect a playthrough In prehardmode if you are lucky enough to get the Mechanic's Wrench that is pretty amazing(for a prehardmode melee weapon) It doesn't sit right that you have to murder the mechanic regularly to get it though.

Yeah, I don't like murdering NPCs to get stuff, lol.

The platform method is the easiest way to clip through the temple door. Although my preferred method of slipping through blocks is to make the same slopes out of actuated blocks using the same slope layout and positioning as the platforms. You won't need to hold "down" to walk through the things. It is slightly more expensive as it requires wiring stuff, so there's that.

The platform method is the easiest way to clip through the temple door. Although my preferred method of slipping through blocks is to make the same slopes out of actuated blocks using the same slope layout and positioning as the platforms. You won't need to hold "down" to walk through the things. It is slightly more expensive as it requires wiring stuff, so there's that.

In my post talking about such, I specifically said "without using hoiks to cheat", so I was obviously speaking from a standpoint of not using such methods.

But yes, one could easily stick some platforms on the door and go get all the tablets and Temple Loot they like.

Me in early 2019: "...can't wait to sit in chairs, stare out the window, and eat pizza [in Terraria]".

Me in early 2020: "In the spirit of these new social features, I'm gonna make a obnoxious set of luxury houses [with tables and chairs].

Me, May 2020: *goes on an epic adventure and never touches a single luxury home*

Me, April 2021: "I wish the Devs would stop updating this ------g game [Terraria], ---t is starting to break!" 🤬😡

Me in June 2022: "You know, the Princess NPC isn't all that bad [Slime Pets added, other spoiler]..."

I think I'm pretty much on board with anything they update Terraria with.

The only things that were done over the years that I wasn't such a huge fan of, was OOA (I felt it was too slow and grindy, but apparently they sped that up?) and the NPC Happiness system (the first iteration of it was ludicrously restrictive because I like efficiency and I don't like having to spread out NPCs in a bunch of tiny "villages" (of no more than 2 NPCs each, back when it first came out).

But now that they lowered the restrictions a good slice, and this next update will make it even easier to get the pylons (which I wholly support as mentioned above), I'm OK with the villages. So, the OOA being made faster and the villages being far less restrictive, I can't say I have many complaints.

This business with the melee weapons, however.... could make or break everything.

I think I'm pretty much on board with anything they update Terraria with.
For the most part I agree, it's rare that the Devs make a bad call, considering just how much content they add with every newer update, but "bad calls" do happen, and they tend to be disastrous when they happen.

What I'm still concerned about, and have been since 1.4.1, is the performance issues, they tend to keep popping up everywhere [in new and unusual ways]. Aside from that, I'm also into Terraria's Lore somewhat. These are minor things, of little consequence, but I still would like answers to some weird additions, such as:
  1. What Kingdom is the Princess NPC from? Terraria is supposed to be a "wilderness" of sorts [though there are exceptions]; where's her families' estate, how long have they been in power?
    • I've considered that idea that she might be a "self proclaimed Princess", but her "I love everyone and they love me" mechanic says otherwise
    • I also haven't dived deep enough into her story to make any real judgments yet, but she still seems shoehorned in.
  2. Were/ are the Obsidian Watchers Summoners and not Spies now? This is yet another conundrum, as it seems the elements for such an obscure Lore possibility was up-in-the-air, but now with Obsidian Armor being so prevelant, taking how it's made into account, there's good stuff and odd stuff.
    • It's a good thing that evidence of them being related to the surface [Loom], the Cavern Layer or lower [Obsidian], stealth [Shadow Scales] and the Underworld are provable.
    • It's now an odd Lore point because Summoners aren't stealthy, and now I have questions [and not in a good way].
  3. Crossovers in the past were brilliant, especially the DD2 content [which masterfully fit into places where the game could improve], the Don't Starve Together content is a tad "clumsy", especially concerning The Constant seed.
    • Some additions like Abigail are understandable, cool, but still odd [all the rules she breaks are the same, cool but odd].
    • The fact that a "food system" wasn't implemented into The Constant seed is also odd.
    • The entire mechanic with the filter is just awkward and weird [it feels very tacked-on].

The only things that were done over the years that I wasn't such a huge fan of, was OOA (I felt it was too slow and grindy, but apparently they sped that up?) and the NPC Happiness system (the first iteration of it was ludicrouslyrestrictive because I like efficiency and I don't like having to spread out NPCs in a bunch of tiny "villages" (of no more than 2 NPCs each, back when it first came out).
The secret sauce I discovered, without even trying too hard, is the power of three.
  1. Place the NPC you want to impress in the Biome they like best [using the Bestiary].
  2. Place a person they like in the same or in a close house beside that NPC you like.
  3. Get a third NPC that either like your NPC, or also like the same Biome.
It was really that easy last I recall, I'm still not sure 'til this day exactly what was so confusing about the system. It felt intuitive, simple and if you knew even a lil' bit about the NPCs, not very hard to place them in the "proper location". The last time Players got the weird changes they asked for, the Overworld Theme and Town Theme were competing with one another every time the Goblin Tinkerer took a few steps left or right [LoL].

But now that they lowered the restrictions a good slice, and this next update will make it even easier to get the pylons (which I wholly support as mentioned above), I'm OK with the villages. So, the OOA being made faster and the villages being far less restrictive, I can't say I have many complaints.
I don't think Pylons are all-that-essential, but I can respect other Player's desire to "catch 'em all". At this stage in the games life, nearly everything from the Classic game has been made easier, so I don't see a reason why Pylons shouldn't be easier to get either.

This business with the melee weapons, however.... could make or break everything.
Honestly, I felt the same way when Summoner Class took a hit. The only thing that helped was that 1.4.1 Summoner was actually fun to use [even though it was/ is terribly broken]. It's still in a weird place, but seeing everyone else in the community "happier" with the Class was a trade worth making [I think]. No one can claim that the Class [Summoner] is weak anymore, I'll give 'em that! 😅 🤷‍♂️

Melee, if they take any of the lessons we've learned from 1.4.1 Summoner Class, should be just fine. The Class [Melee] was always hard to use properly [I think], but I don't believe anyone ever thought that it wasn't a fun Class. If the idea going in is to make Melee both "different" and "fun to use", I'm on board. You can't really screw up Swords that no one was using anyway, and in my opinion, I think Swords would benefit from being something other than Wands with Melee stats tacked on 'em.

Last edited:
I took a long break from Terraria after doing a modded run last year. Might try the new one out. Looks like they added some nice stuff. I see yet more of that in-your-face melee favoritism with all of the damage buffs. Still blows my mind that "Zenith is so absurdly overpowered that despite being a -melee- weapon it doesn't actually count as one, so melee is still uwu underpowered and damage buffs all around!" can be said straightfaced next to "it's a sandbox game, endgame balance doesn't matter!", said straightfaced next to "Nebula armor BAD, makes it better than melee, must nerf, too OP".

The only things that were done over the years that I wasn't such a huge fan of, was OOA (I felt it was too slow and grindy, but apparently they sped that up?) and the NPC Happiness system (the first iteration of it was ludicrously restrictive because I like efficiency and I don't like having to spread out NPCs in a bunch of tiny "villages" (of no more than 2 NPCs each, back when it first came out).
For the OOA, you can skip the pause/break between waves by right-clicking the crystal stand. It helps, but I still think the OOA is grindy and slow though. It doesn't really fit in anywhere for progression. The invasions, Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse give some useful gear for progression.

Back
Top Bottom