Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I've placed the dryad and painter next to each other in one world and the painter doesn't even recognize the dryad as being there. On a separate world, I placed the arms dealer and the nurse together and again, the arms dealer doesn't think the nurse is there. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
woah.JPG
woadsd.JPG

I understand that the dryad might be too far away from the painter, but even when I moved her closer it didn't work.

They are way too far away. remember that their banners need to be within 30 something blocks of each other or they aren't neighbors.

the banners that show where they live have to be less than 30 something blocks away from each other and not the npcs themselves

the banners that show where they live have to be less than 30 something blocks away from each other and not the npcs themselves
25 blocks, I think.
Which is ridicolously little, and pretty much the only way to achive it is to have them live in like the next room of the same house, or something.
quite limiting and annoying... would be nice, if it could be set somewhere in the settings, how far the range should be, so everyone could choose something they prefer.

fortunatelly, at least, you can just move them back elsewhere once you bought the pylon, since that will function regardless the NPC's happiness after (as long at there are some NPCs nearby). but other bonuses, like lowered prices won't apply then.

I'm having the same issue. I knew about the banner distance stuff, so I placed the NPCs in a simple two store house, yet they still don't detect each other.

Show some screenshots of the house.
There you go. I was actually playing with my wife in a world that she created, and we were having this NPC detection issue. So I created a new world just to see if the problem wasn't just in her notebook. As you can see, the banners are close together, there's plenty of room, yet they don't recognize each other. =/
House.png
Happiness.png

Last edited:
If you want to be sure that they are neighbors just make a 2 layer house with each npc on a different floor or put 2 tables and chairs on a single floored house than separate them with platforms

I sure don't see any screenshots lol

Me neither XD looks like something went wrong?

now I'm pretty curious how the house looks like. because based on what you say, it should be good. but kinda difficult to tell what's actually wrong without seeing how it actually looks like.

:confused: Don't know what went wrong, but I added the screenshots to my previous post. Sorry about that :rslime:

If you want to be sure that they are neighbors just make a 2 layer house with each npc on a different floor or put 2 tables and chairs on a single floored house than separate them with platforms

That's exactly what I did (now you can see it in the screenshots xD), but they still don't detect each other as neighbors.

@Gimenes
I can see the "problem" now.
Their flags are definitely within the range they should be, but...
The "problem" here is, that the guide and the merchant are completely indifferent about each others.

this is like the 3rd or dunno time, I see some getting confused by this, so I'm starting to think, this is another oversight regarding the happiness system. the first NPCs the players usually get - the guide and the merchant (and this goes for the demolitionist too) are completely indifferent about each others, and have no quotes regarding each others when you ask about their happiness.

they most likely do detect each other as neighbors, but that won't affect anything at this point and they won't mention it at all. it only would affect things if there would be more NPCs,in which case, they would be sad about the place being overcrowded.

try it with the merchant and the nurse or something. the merchant likes the nurse for example, so he has some happiness quote about her.

and so, I again kinda would like to suggest for developers to make it so that the guide likes the merchant, so he has a happiness quote about him. the merchant can stay indifferent about the guide, so it doesn't affects his prices, but the guide doesn't sells anything, and it could (hopefully) help clearing up mistunderstandings about these two not detecting each other as neighbors at all.

@Sora_92
I know that the perfect neighbor for the Guide would be the Zoologist, but I vaguely remember the Guide having a happiness quote regarding the Merchant, saying that he is too greedy and that's why he's a bad neighbor.

Also, at my wife's world we had Guide/Zoologist as neighbors at the Forest biome and Nurse/Arms Dealer as neighbors at the Desert biome, and in both cases they didn't detected each other nor sell the pylons.

As soon as I get home I'll test my old worlds to see if this "bug" happens there too.

@Sora_92
I know that the perfect neighbor for the Guide would be the Zoologist, but I vaguely remember the Guide having a happiness quote regarding the Merchant, saying that he is too greedy and that's why he's a bad neighbor.

Also, at my wife's world we had Guide/Zoologist as neighbors at the Forest biome and Nurse/Arms Dealer as neighbors at the Desert biome, and in both cases they didn't detected each other nor sell the pylons.

As soon as I get home I'll test my old worlds to see if this "bug" happens there too.
I don't think the guide has a quote about the merchant. But I think, the golfer has a quote similar to what you mention about the merchant - and since the merchant on the other hand do likes the golfer, you likely would see that quote, if you move the golfer near the merchant. so, they recognize each other, and, in that case, the merchant will be happy about that, but the golfer not as much.

I'm not sure about the guide + zoologist, I usually use merchant + golfer + nurse to get the forest pylon. (by the way, intesertingly, while something like merchant + golfer alone is too weak to get the forest pylon, when you have the 3 together, it makes the merchant happy enough to sell all pylons (based on where he is, even if it's not his favorite biome. desert might be an exception though, since he dislikes that biome.

As for the desert pylon though, nurse + arms dealer should be strong enough to make the arms dealer sell the desert pylon, when they're in a "pure" desert (not hallowed). so, I dunno what could be the problem there. maybe their flags are too far there?

I don't think the guide has a quote about the merchant. But I think, the golfer has a quote similar to what you mention about the merchant - and since the merchant on the other hand do likes the golfer, you likely would see that quote, if you move the golfer near the merchant. so, they recognize each other, and, in that case, the merchant will be happy about that, but the golfer not as much.

I'm not sure about the guide + zoologist, I usually use merchant + golfer + nurse to get the forest pylon. (by the way, intesertingly, while something like merchant + golfer alone is too weak to get the forest pylon, when you have the 3 together, it makes the merchant happy enough to sell all pylons (based on where he is, even if it's not his favorite biome. desert might be an exception though, since he dislikes that biome.

As for the desert pylon though, nurse + arms dealer should be strong enough to make the arms dealer sell the desert pylon, when they're in a "pure" desert (not hallowed). so, I dunno what could be the problem there. maybe their flags are too far there?
The guide has a TIP about the merchant not a quote

Back
Top Bottom