I'm scared for the future of Terraria and Relogic.

CellyTheDork

Terrarian
Title says it all really.

I'm seriously afraid for the future of the game and perhaps even the company, being such a long-time player. Updates are taking longer and longer, development teams for ports and other versions switching left and right, poor development and management choices galore... Terraria's been going through a lot.

First from the poor quality (in my opinion of course) of 505's ports, to the absolutely abysmal project planning and management coming from Pipeworks Studios, which resulted in the poor quality (initially) of the 1.3 ports, the cancellation of Otherworld, EVERYTHING being off-schedule by extreme amounts of time, as well as a stupidly long development time for Mobile 1.3, only for it to be ONCE AGAIN switched to another team before the team hired for it could complete even a single update! 1.X.X updates are taking as long as 1.X updates did once upon a time, the teams chosen for the ports have been poor at best and abysmal at worst, so on, so forth...

And especially after the announcement of Hytale, i have no hope for the future of this game anymore.

Hytale is literally everything that Terraria is, and then some; as i've frequently put it, it's like Minecraft, Terraria and Roblox did steroids, had the craziest gang-bang imaginable, and had a lovechild that did hard drugs at the age of 7.
It maintains the fantasy aspect, exploration, and combat of Terraria at a much higher quality than even Terraria itself, whilst having the more free building and exploration of a 3D work from Minecraft, and the extreme moddability and promise of "infinite games in one" of Roblox, all to a significantly crazier extent than their source games.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Hytale has a chance at overpowering Minecraft; they occupy two completely different sides of the market for these games. However, Hytale and Terraria share a demographic in creators and people who understand games well, and considering Terraria's significantly lower sales numbers than Minecraft, and the poor project managing and planning, it... really isn't much of a stretch to say that Hytale could overshadow Terraria.

Now, don't get the wrong idea; i don't want that. I want Terraria to be successful in its own right, i've been playing it almost six years. But i really do fear the worst for the game, and perhaps even the company.

But, what do you all think? Do you agree or think my fears are unfounded? (Because i sure hope they actually are...)

1.3.6 is taking longer because it isn't a mini-update like the previous few. AFAIK it involves entire system reworks and those take serious planning to get right the first time. I'm also not sure why the failures of other studios (which I don't see as total failures; the console ports are fine) should have any effect on Re-Logic's future.

I'm not sure why you would even bring up Hytale. It has next to nothing in common with Terraria beyond basic RPG and sandbox elements. It will no more "replace" Terraria than Minecraft has, and it certainly won't replace Minecraft. Hytale appears to be a love letter to more expectant fans of the RPG sandbox genre, and it certainly doesn't have Mojang's publicity and budget.

Oh, yeah, i can sorta understand it with 1.3.6, sure, the other updates haven't been great either though, but i suppose as the quality of the game goes up, it will take longer to develop. But i still feel like it's an issue in some cases.

I don't see how some can't see how badly the out-of-house developers have been. Everything has been behind schedule with Pipeworks since they first joined, 1.3 was subpar on consoles when it first released (though it was patched; it's an issue there's been so many bugs that for a YEAR now it's just been bugfixes and no content from like, 1.3.1 or 1.3.2 or anything of the sort), and the fact we're seeing another version switch studios AGAIN should concern you.

But. Anyway, as for how they'd affect Relogic, i guess they themselves wouldn't? However, having such (imo) lackluster ports handled by such lackluster companies that are behind schedule 24/7 is an issue to me, and another issue is there's like, a curve to describe the way updates have been handled. Think like, the supply/demand curve; as demand increases, supply decreases, and as supply increases, demand increases, except here, as quality increases, amount decreases, and as amount decreases, quality increases. And this is just my opinion, but i don't think they have a very good balance in that regard and that might be dangerous to the game, but again, that's just my personal opinion. Maybe i should've stressed that more in the original post.

And well, the way i see it, Hytale is basically the best of all 3 games, cranked up to 12. And considering Terraria's lower sales number and the recent decline in like... popularity, i guess? what i mean is that Terraria isn't gaining speed like it used to be, it's relatively quiet outside it's own community. And considering that plus the lower sales numbers, and how absolutely massive Hytale is (both in popularity and content, seemingly) has me kinda worried for the fate of Terraria.

I'm sure it won't be going anywhere, but i have been seeing a steady downward slope and i don't see it going up any time soon. Terraria's ORIGINAL creators still care, of course they do, the content they put out, however infrequently, is still great, and i'm sure we're not gonna see the game cancelled any time soon or anything, if you thought i meant anything that drastic.

I'll say this, the fact that Terraria has lasted as long as it has thus far means it is a successful game. Same with many other games that are still played today despite their age and when other, similar, games are released. You shouldn't fear the future but rather enjoy the time that you had, or still currently having, with this game. It may 'die' some day down the road, whether it be from Re-Logic no longer supporting it in favor of future projects or computer systems no longer being capable of running the game, but that is the fate of all games. Continue playing until some external, uncontrolled, force prohibits you from doing so. It's the least you can do.

I'll be honest, I see similar stuff when sifting through Steam's forums for various games quite often. Most notably TF2 where every update has more than a handful declaring it as the end of the game.

I don't know what to say, but I think Terraria is going to be alright for quite many years ahead. I think they are pretty communicative to its player.

There is a ton of stuff going on in the modding community if you're waiting for 1.3.6. Look up Thorium for a more vanilla experience; it'll be getting an update today.

I dont think Hytale will ever replace Terraria, no, terraria is it's own pixel art game. But i think Hytale will replace Minecraft, i mean, it's basicly minecraft but better, and made by one of the most loved Minecraft servers!

In my opinion Hytale is not going to kill or harm Terraria. Terraria offers a rather unique experience and every player who ajoyed this game once will never forget about it. Maybe Hytale with kill Minecraft, but not Terraria.

In addition to the more optimistic posts above, don't forget that 1.4 is meant to be the final patch for Terraria and then Re-Logic will begin work on Terraria 2.

Hytale might over-take Minecraft (though people will still play the latter for its simplicity); but Terraria will come back stronger in its 1.3.6-1.4 updates and sequel.

Just like how original Terraria faired well against Minecraft when it first came out, I think we'll see a repeat of that time when it's Hytale vs 1.3.6/1.4 Terraria and Terraria 2.

I'm just worried that RE-LOGIC will become extinct because it has only 1 game, Terraria
Are you sure about that?
unknown.png

I'm just worried that RE-LOGIC will become extinct because it has only 1 game, Terraria
they have 2 others, but they are not quite as famous as Terraria. In fact, i learned that they EXISTED when i joined TCF. so technicly, that is not right, but i dont think a 1/10 of re-logic fans have heard of Pixel Piracy/Priveteers.

Technically Relogic only publishes Pixel Piracy/Privateers. So they take a minor cut of sales off of those games versus getting the majority of the revenue from Terraria. Relogic also has merch deals that they take a cut of.

Relogic did the smart thing and made sure they didn't put all of their eggs in one basket, so they have tons of little sources of revenue. This can make it very hard to estimate the state of their finances, they could be doing fine or they could be doing rather poor. We won't know without official confirmation but that isn't going to happen because of NDA's.

Ultimately though I wouldn't worry about it, when the chips are down they'll find a way to finance their future projects and goals. When worse comes to worst they can always kickstart their next project.

Keep in mind I obviously do not speak for or represent Relogic. These are merely my personal observations and should be taken with a grain of salt as always.

I honestly think that Terraria will die soon, but Re-Logic will stay strong for a long while. They can launch new games and sell merchandise for those new games, and those games and the merch will make enough money to make more games with more merch, and more games with more merch, and so on.

I know this post is old, but I just want you to look at the game, now that 1.4 is a thing. The isn't dying, at all because 1.4 is probably the biggest update Terraria has ever gotten, and a lot of the youtubers that play Terraria on regular basis is saying how they love the new update and are telling everyone that watches, that this is a big refreshment for Terraria veterans. In general the game a bit more alive now than it was earlier (in terms of making new worlds and characters), and I think that the game will last for a long time.

These types of threads pop up from time to time. I'm not sure why people are so dramatic.

Like you said, LuffeDeluXe, the game is huge now. It's such a big bag of content, as well as incredibly fun to play, people will keep coming back to it. And for those who want more, there are a lot of mods available too.

I still play games that were made in the early 90s. If a game is good enough, it won't ever die. And I'm positive Terraria is one of those games.

And ReLogic dying? That'll only happen if they choose to, since I'm pretty sure they have the $$$ right now to do anything they want.

also
Hytale is literally everything that Terraria is, and then some; as i've frequently put it, it's like Minecraft, Terraria and Roblox did steroids, had the craziest gang-bang imaginable, and had a lovechild that did hard drugs at the age of 7.

Yeah, if only Hytale wasn't entirely owned by a corrupt Chinese company. Hytale looked promising when it was announced, but you'd be a fool to ever trust scumbags of the likes of Tencent when they've claimed so much of a game studio.

Regardless, I'd say the main reason you consider Terraria to be "dead" is because you've burnt out on it. And that's understandable; there's only so much anyone can get out of any game out there before they'd say they've exhausted the content it has on offer and are ready to move on to something else.

In my opinion, is Terraria as a franchise or Re-Logic as a studio dead, even with their so-called final update? Far from it. There's quite a few things currently in 1.4 that are due to be revised on in a 1.4.1 or a 1.4.2, and considering how 1.2 and 1.3 have gone, I think update extensions are an inevitability for 1.4. And outside of Terraria as a game, I hold confidence that there will be some type of a Terraria 2; a new engine with updated visuals and a planned-out vision of what exactly the game needs to have within it (a quality > quantity direction when it comes to items and content rather than the quantity > quality direction Terraria has currently adopted as they went along from taking it from the small-scale project it was 9 years ago) would more than suffice, even if it didn't have the sheer quantity of items that Terraria currently has within it. But even if Re-Logic shuts down right here and now and does nothing more with game development...well, there will always be tModLoader when it makes the final push toward 1.4.

Back
Top Bottom