Game Mechanics I'm so sick of you, Slime Staff

652Graystripe

Plantera
Slime_Staff.png Baby_Slime_Minion.png
Slime Staff should behave like banners. Like, dropping on the 100th or 1000th Slime kill. You guys can argue about the numbers, I'm just outta here!

This experience is from 1.3 Expert Mode, so I cant be sure if this was due to that or just damn good luck. I actually had my Slime Staff drop pretty quickly, after maybe 500-600 slimes. I cant remember how many, and I didn't even see it drop. I was building a minecart path above the surface (surface was off screen) and my Imp summon was flying down to fight stuff and as I dropped down after a while, there it was just laying there. So, I don't know if they have changed the rate of spawn on the Staff or not, but I do think it should be more common. Not so common that you get an inventory full of them, but common enough that if youre doing a summoner playthrough, you can have a reasonable chance of getting one before it becomes obsolete. It isn't hard to believe that most players may never even get a Slime Staff without farming for one. Its easier to get a pickaxe strong enough to mine Hellstone and make an Imp Staff early on than to try to find a Slime Statue, a trap, and then farm thousands of slimes. I say reduce the spawn rate on it, then I may be more inclined to do a proper summoner playthrough. As it is, Ive only ever used it to farm for money with a Lucky Coin (which it is brilliant for).

This experience is from 1.3 Expert Mode, so I cant be sure if this was due to that or just damn good luck. I actually had my Slime Staff drop pretty quickly, after maybe 500-600 slimes. I cant remember how many, and I didn't even see it drop. I was building a minecart path above the surface (surface was off screen) and my Imp summon was flying down to fight stuff and as I dropped down after a while, there it was just laying there. So, I don't know if they have changed the rate of spawn on the Staff or not, but I do think it should be more common. Not so common that you get an inventory full of them, but common enough that if youre doing a summoner playthrough, you can have a reasonable chance of getting one before it becomes obsolete. It isn't hard to believe that most players may never even get a Slime Staff without farming for one. Its easier to get a pickaxe strong enough to mine Hellstone and make an Imp Staff early on than to try to find a Slime Statue, a trap, and then farm thousands of slimes. I say reduce the spawn rate on it, then I may be more inclined to do a proper summoner playthrough. As it is, Ive only ever used it to farm for money with a Lucky Coin (which it is brilliant for).

The slime staff and many, many other items have increased drop rates in expert mode. In normal mode slimes have a 0.01% chance to drop the slime staff and in expert mode they have a 0.014% chance. Pinky also has a 1% chance drop chance and a 1.4% drop chance in expert mode.

The slime staff and many, many other items have increased drop rates in expert mode. In normal mode slimes have a 0.01% chance to drop the slime staff and in expert mode they have a 0.014% chance. Pinky also has a 1% chance drop chance and a 1.4% drop chance in expert mode.

Very good to know, but now you've destroyed any feeling like I may be lucky now, lol :p

The Slime Staff needs a damage buff I feel but rarity does not have to be changed. You can get it pre-dungeon by finding a slime statue, pressure plate, put lava beneath the slime statue and spam spacebar. You can use dart trap wiring to get the pressure plate to the statue.

In normal mode slimes have a 0.01% chance to drop the slime staff and in expert mode they have a 0.014% chance. Pinky also has a 1% chance drop chance and a 1.4% drop chance in expert mode.
A 1/10,000 chance? Wow. My main 1.3 character got one before her first Slime Banner. I don't think it was dropped by a Pinky.

Having used Hornet Staff and Imp Staff with previous characters, I was surprised and pleased when the Baby Slime actually turned out to be reasonably useful. Little fellow can jump like crazy.

A 1/10,000 chance? Wow. My main 1.3 character got one before her first Slime Banner. I don't think it was dropped by a Pinky.

Having used Hornet Staff and Imp Staff with previous characters, I was surprised and pleased when the Baby Slime actually turned out to be reasonably useful. Little fellow can jump like crazy.
Used it through all of my 1.2 playthrough. The thing is adorable. And handy at stunlocking paladins.

Personally, I'd want the slime staff to be craftable (or put in surface chests' item pool), with a replacement "uber rare" Pinky Staff of dungeon-level damage (15 summon damage should be fine.) 1% drop from only Pinky, of course, which may or may not make it an even rarer staff. :eek:

Personally, I'd want the slime staff to be craftable (or put in surface chests' item pool), with a replacement "uber rare" Pinky Staff of dungeon-level damage (15 summon damage should be fine.) 1% drop from only Pinky, of course, which may or may not make it an even rarer staff. :eek:
Pretty sure Pinky is 1% of all slimes. That'd be, uh, a fairly rare staff. Not super rare, though.

actually think the slime staff should do 1-2 more points of damage for its rarity
The Slime Staff needs a damage buff I feel
Personally, I'd want the slime staff to be craftable (or put in surface chests' item pool), with a replacement "uber rare" Pinky Staff of dungeon-level damage (15 summon damage should be fine.)

Rather than buffing the Slime Staff players could recieve other alternatives that are for early game, with easier method of obtaining. Besides, if every low drop rate item were given buffs to drop chance they'd losing the meaining of being rare items and in turn we'd have less "rare" things to collect. This is why making it so the Slime Staff isn't the only option to early summons would be better, or so I think anyway. People have been asking for ages to get new ways of playing early summoner. People may stop feeling "sick" of the staff if things changed.

I have a thread about exploring summoner options, this one seems to be about the Slime Staff only? OR is it more to do with drop rates than summon staffs?
The OP could do with expansion in my opinion, like the example thread I provided.

How's a summoner supposed to kill queen bee anyways?
Yimir did that on his Youtube channel. It's the closes example I know of on video.

Last edited:
Drop on X kill?
Lol it's way better be craftable, LOOK AT IT, IT'S A CANE WITH GEL, I COULD CRAFT IT WITH SOME WOOD, GEL AND FALLEN STAR TO GIVE "MAGIC IMPRESSION".
That would be waaaaaaay better for a first summoner playthrough, summoner still dead in 1.3, and this is for mage too, if you don't find a wand of spark you're dead.

Back
Top Bottom