Image cap

Snickerbobble

The Painter
Alright, so.. as I've discovered today, the image cap is 250 per post. Which honestly, is quite a generous amount! However I've found myself stuck with a thread edit as I have reached this cap, and so.. I'm figuring out how to get through this. I could combine some images to save on space, though not entirely ideal and it might only free up a few pictures.

This may be too much to ask as I'm not sure this cap has troubled anyone, but could there be a way to bump up the limit more, maybe only for suggestions and art forums? Maybe there's a way to limit images by file size? Like the limit applies to images of certain dimensions or higher, but tiny sprites be part of a second, increased limit? I dunno.. besides just me, I've seen a handful of others start their threads with two, three, or four split posts to avoid this cap, which now I wish I had made a triple post, but I had no idea I would work so much on this project back then. I'm just torn as to what I should do.

Or is there a way to make a third post, and somehow pin it up to the top? So that it's on the first page and not in page 40 something. I don't know!

Alright, so.. as I've discovered today, the image cap is 250 per post. Which honestly, is quite a generous amount! However I've found myself stuck with a thread edit as I have reached this cap, and so.. I'm figuring out how to get through this. I could combine some images to save on space, though not entirely ideal and it might only free up a few pictures.

This may be too much to ask as I'm not sure this cap has troubled anyone, but could there be a way to bump up the limit more, maybe only for suggestions and art forums? Maybe there's a way to limit images by file size? Like the limit applies to images of certain dimensions or higher, but tiny sprites be part of a second, increased limit? I dunno.. besides just me, I've seen a handful of others start their threads with two, three, or four split posts to avoid this cap, which now I wish I had made a triple post, but I had no idea I would work so much on this project back then. I'm just torn as to what I should do.

Or is there a way to make a third post, and somehow pin it up to the top? So that it's on the first page and not in page 40 something. I don't know!
I am pretty sure you and I are the only people on the forums who reach the cap consistently with maybe a few artists in the art boards.

But considering I too make ridiculously image heavy suggestions, I'd like the cap increased as well -- but even at 250, it's ridiculously generous already.

As for condensing things; I've considered including all blocks in 1 image, all furniture in 1 image, etc etc. It'd reduce the image amount by a ton, might work for you just as easily.

I remember hitting the image cap when I posted all the old creation compendiums over from TO. In the end I just had to split it over multiple posts, and the image cap is why so many people 'Reserve' the first post in art threads.

If you have a thread filled with 250 ~1 KB sprites, then most connections aren't going to have any trouble with it. But if your images are, say, 100 KB (and that's not all that much for a drawing), and you've got 250 of 'em, then that's 25 MB you need to load in. That's quite a lot, and let's face it, not everyone knows how (or simply takes the effort) to optimalise their files, so that number can be substantially higher. So I don't think raising the image cap is a good idea, even though I see why you would want it, for the simple reason that 250 is already a huge amount that can already lead to problems.

I understand it's preferable to have all the content grouped together in the main post, but making a new post and putting a link to it in the main one is also a solution.

Could you host all the files on something like imgur in an album and just have all of them available there? With an ambitious project like yours, it might be a good solution. Then people can freely see everything and you can just update the thread with a link to the album- like "More on imgur here!" And then just have a link to the album on the "here"?

Then further posts can still be used to give people more images so those following your thread get to see stuff without external sites, but everyone else can see everything in one place if you needed more room.

Might at least be a temporary solution!

The image cap is a site-wide setting; there isn't a way to have a different setting for one part of the forum or for a person/group of people, or for a size of image (e.g., sprite vs. screenshot). I believe it has been raised once in the past.

There are probably performance issues that could arise from increasing the cap further, though I'm not sure I can really quantify exactly what that entails. I can discuss it with Skiphs, but I wouldn't count on it happening. Given that it looks like your images are being served by imgur (which is optimized to serve up images), and are generally small, the result is likely less of an issue than if the serving site is less optimized for that sort of thing (like a personal dropbox).

We also have no way through the admin interface to re-order posts in a thread.

I'm going to make an educated guess that the particular issue is with The Confection. One workaround for this situation is to convince the poster of this reply to "give" you that post - then you have 250 more images at your disposal at the top of your thread. That person could re-post their comment at the end of the thread if they wish. (I have no way to move/reassign the "likes" for that post, however.) If you PM me (and include LoveSpreader to verify), I can do that for you.

The image cap is a site-wide setting; there isn't a way to have a different setting for one part of the forum or for a person/group of people, or for a size of image (e.g., sprite vs. screenshot). I believe it has been raised once in the past.

There are probably performance issues that could arise from increasing the cap further, though I'm not sure I can really quantify exactly what that entails. I can discuss it with Skiphs, but I wouldn't count on it happening. Given that it looks like your images are being served by imgur (which is optimized to serve up images), and are generally small, the result is likely less of an issue than if the serving site is less optimized for that sort of thing (like a personal dropbox).

We also have no way through the admin interface to re-order posts in a thread.

I'm going to make an educated guess that the particular issue is with The Confection. One workaround for this situation is to convince the poster of this reply to "give" you that post - then you have 250 more images at your disposal at the top of your thread. That person could re-post their comment at the end of the thread if they wish. (I have no way to move/reassign the "likes" for that post, however.) If you PM me (and include LoveSpreader to verify), I can do that for you.
out of curiosity, if staff can't reorder posts, how did @Leinfors manage to create a post at the start of the thread here? https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...est-number-before-a-staff-member-posts.12171/

You'd have to ask him, because I honestly don't know the answer.

(I suspect some kind of voodoo that I really wouldn't recommend for a serious thread, and it probably only works for the first post.)
It does require a lot of voodoo that can seriously mess up the thread if it goes incorrectly.

Back
Top Bottom