Short Story Impending Doom

TheJoekster

Dungeon Spirit
How do you kill a god?

Happy new year! This is my third short story here. I think I should say that this is less of a short story and more of a scene, but because of a lack of 'scene' prefixes I just chose 'short story'.

Anyway, I hope someone enjoys this. Feedback is welcome. I put the piece in a spoiler, but it's not that long.

As the final Celestial Tower epically crumbled to the ground and the wails of otherworldly enemies ceased, I collapsed to the ground. I was nauseated and had a pounding headache, and had an overcoming feeling of depression and anxiety. Did I need to end all of those lives? Why do I deserve to live at this point? Am I not no better than any other creature of this earth?

The sky darkened and the temperature dropped. Somehow, defeating the celestial invasion did not make things better. The world was black as pitch, but was also completely illuminated. I saw colours I never fathomed seeing.

I turned to the sky. The stars were blood red and the moon was gone. Suddenly a silvery light that I can only describe as divine scorched my eyes and incinerated the world around me, until only I remained - the ground charred and every tree turned to ash. I looked above me, and the upper body of a huge being loomed impendingly down upon me.

It had a silvery-blue hue and had the face of an octopus. It sent one massive hand upon me, and as I just barely dodged its strike, I saw an eye in the palm of this being's hand glaring at me omnisciently. I drew my Daybreak.

All around me, I could hear the pounding of drums and a haunting chant - a battle cry. It was as if every creature on this earth, both living and dead, had awoken to harmonize an eerie yet beautiful culmination of everything leading up to this moment. It filled me with the urge to give up and accept my fate, but I knew I couldn't let that happen. I threw my Daybreak at the celestial being.

Nothing happened. The creature's forehead opened up, and an eye glew a silver aura from its temple. The eye shot out a beam of infinitely bright light in every direction, relentlessly pummelling me like a stream of bullets. It was as if my soul were being torn from my body. I realized that I was dying, and that I couldn't let this happen to me.

With a defiant roar, I shot out another lance from my Daybreak, which soared into the being's eye. The shower of light ended, and the beautiful, silver eye was now a violent shade of red as the Daybreak scorched it with the fury of the sun. The haunting chant of everything around me grew louder, and the eye shut firmly.

The two eyes in the palm of the being's hand released, and circled around me from a safe distance. I continued to retreat. They shot bundles of light at me from different directions, so while facing the menace in front of me that was clearly a god, I needed to stay alert of two other targets constantly firing at me. Occasionally I would send a spear into the deity as I ran backwards, but I ultimately knew that there was no way of beating it.

With the god about a hundred feet from where I stood, I caught my breath. The being vanished and apparated right in front of me, and the eye on its forehead opened up once more. A silver aura collected in its eye again, and it released a second ray of light that exploded in every direction. I felt the white-hot pain of the divine light ripping through me, and saw my body disintegrate before my eyes. As the pain in my body was replaced with a feeling of numbness, the last of my consciousness was shredded in the storm of light.

I have just awoken. I was passed out on the ground, completely naked and without weapons. Trees stretch in every direction, in an unfamiliar landscape. I crawl to a tree and prop myself against it as another figure walks towards me. He has pale skin and dirty-blond hair, sporting a long-sleeved green shirt and khakis. He smiles. "Hello," he says. "I'm Andrew, your Guide."

Lol thanks. As soon as I saw the quote (from somewhere, I don't remember where), I pasted it into my signature in an instant.

Back
Top Bottom