Mobile Important Information Regarding the Mobile Terraria 1.2.3-4 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy I sure would like to enjoy this update if is wasnt for the fact that my device suddenly stopped being able to play Terraria one day (an update didn't even happen that day either).

With all due respect - are you certain that you understand what this thread is about? The limitation on iOS7- has to do with file sizes and cloud saving. Though the RAM limit hasn't been hit, it does appear to be a real imminent possibility. Android doesn't even appear to be affected either - again, please review why this is occurring.

Except that isn't what was said. Though that was a mitigating factor (inevitably, if not now), the core was "your worlds/files or your update", from what I read.

In full candor, I have zero idea what you want 505 to do within the realm of what is possible. The notion of a "every single individual picks their fate" being an impossibility....what is left but picking A or B? It sucks, but what to do?

The most intriguing thing is that this cloud save issue only is apparently affecting iOS 7-...but you are on Android. I truly have no idea what the issue you are raising could be. ;)

For those other users confused by the comments made by some others in the thread: THIS IS NOT A RAM LIMIT ISSUE AT THIS POINT, THOUGH FROM WHAT WAS SAID <1GB DEVICES MAY BE REACHING THEIR LIMIT SOON.

Sorry to be all bold/underline...but I don't want it missed. :)

Quick question for Loki, what will be added in the new update, fishing rods? Duke Fishron, somebody tell me please. That or give me a link to the changelogs.
[DOUBLEPOST=1446243742,1446243312][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is it me or do I see random pumpkin mobs

If your talking about Hopping Jack, then your not the only one.

Hello everyone-

So, we are hard at work on the Mobile 1.2.3-4 content update now that the promised fixes and initial rebalancing are in your hands - still planned for an October launch.

Along that road, we have news that will affect the small percentage of Terrarians that are still playing on older iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (iOS devices). We wanted to take some time to share what's going on, why, and our plan here in advance so that you can have time to adjust/ask questions/etc.

There are some behind-the-scenes things for newer iOS devices as well, so even if you aren't on an older device, it is important that you read on.

(Loki Edit) This does not affect non-iOS devices at this time.

The Update
It’s been more than two years since Terraria launched on the App Store and during this time, we have continued to add new features and content to the game regularly. More new content = bigger worlds = larger save files.

Essentially then, it all comes down to cloud saving and file sizes. If you’re using an iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (with iOS 7 or lower), the supported cloud saving system will not work any longer once the new 1.2.3-4 update arrives. If we just push the update down, it will immediately break old cloud saves for all of those devices, meaning you would lose your world/characters and the ability to cloud save any further. We know how important those files are to Terraria players!

divider.png

The Options
This creates a tough situation, leaving two paths forward each with their pros and cons. Unfortunately, this call has to be made for everyone and cannot be selected individually.
  • Do not release the new content to older devices
    • This keeps existing cloud saves and the ability to cloud save intact for those players
    • Of course, this means that these players will not get all of the new content
    • However, do note that as Terraria continues to update, the RAM requirements will rise as well (because Terraria has to fully load into RAM due to its not being instanced/level-based) - and we are already pushing up against the limits of older 512MB devices.

• Release the content to everyone and just accept the collateral damage to cloud saves for some users
    • This means everyone gets to enjoy the new content
    • Anyone on an older device would immediately and permanently lose their saves and the ability to cloud save at all.
    • The chaos that would occur with anyone unaware of this announcement would be far worse than "I did not get my update" - again, we know how much saves mean to you guys and how much it hurts to lose them.

divider.png

The Path Forward
After much deliberation, we have decided to proceed with option one. This means that anyone that is running an iOS 7 or less device will NOT receive the upcoming content update. We just feel that leaving you with a fully functional game, complete with your saves you worked so hard on, is the better ofthe two choices - particularly when we also consider that the RAM limits are quite likely to become a second issue in the near term.

We are truly sorry that this is the case - but we are just limited by what is possible here. That said, the existing game is a solid title and one that is certainly quite enjoyable on those older devices.

For newer devices (iOS 8+), things are more positive, though we have some work to do. Here is how that will play out:
  • Behind the scenes, we will migrate your current saves from the old cloud system over to the “new” CloudKit (which has actually been out since 2014 so we really tried to hold off on this change as long as we could)
  • We will make absolutely certain that everything is working properly - again, we know how important these files are to you all! - before we officially fully shift everything over.
  • We will then decommission the old files.
divider.png

Important Note About the Use of Multiple Devices

If you own two or more devices, one of which runs an iOS that is no longer supported (iOS7 and below) and one device that is supported (iOS8 and up), and you synch the Terraria save files on the supported iOS 8+ device in the cloud - the save files will be deleted from the older (and no longer supported) iOS 7 device. If you update that device afterwards to iOS8+, you will then be able get access to your saves again.

divider.png

We realize the situation isn’t ideal but it’s the only way for us to continue to develop new content for the mobile game as technical requirements increase with each update. It is not news that we are happy to bring to you guys, but we feel it is important to be open and transparent with you all. Our hope is that you will understand the issue, agree with our choice, and understand the rationale behind it.

We are certain that you have a ton of questions and thoughts, so we would encourage you to share them here in this thread and we will try to get back to you on those. Thanks, as always for your continued support of Terraria!
I dont really care because my game has been messed up for like half a year! (everything has a thick black outline, its slow, and some things are invisible, etc.)

I dont really care because my game has been messed up for like half a year! (everything has a thick black outline, its slow, and some things are invisible, etc.)

If that's the problem, try uninstalling and then re-installing it.
I did that and mine was working normally afterwards. Best of luck.

Quick question for Loki, what will be added in the new update, fishing rods? Duke Fishron, somebody tell me please. That or give me a link to the changelogs.

Should be Frost Moon + 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 - barring anything that was a technical impossibility.

Did you even read the post that you quoted? It will only work for devices that have iOS 8.0 or newer.
[DOUBLEPOST=1445197956][/DOUBLEPOST]
What’s wrong with multiplayer?
Well, multiplayer doesn't work at all, even if me and my brother use the same version, connection, and we're standing right next to each other.

Are we going to have to make a new world for this update?
Not really everything will be accessible even in old worlds. the only thing changing that world related, is just mostly little changes so spawn point looks nicer and less world gen wierd rendering issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom