Game Mechanics Improved NPC houses

Paige

Pixel Pirate
Rather than just making each NPC room exactly the same (rather boring if you ask me), certain NPCs could require different furnishings in their houses For example a Piggy Bank could be made out of clay and the Merchant would require a Piggy Bank in the room to move in. Another example is the Hair Stylist could require Mannequins, or a new item could be added like a Head Mannequin. The Traveling Merchant could require minecart rails nearby, The Angler a fish other than a Bass on the wall (would require you to do a bit of fishing considering Bass are the most common fish) or just two different types of fish, The Dryad a boss trophy (most likely would require killing a boss more than once), the Party Girl a banner of each color, etc.
EDIT: Chadwick (http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?members/chadwick.1291/) pointed out that the whole requiring certain furnishings idea disallows creative freedom in many aspects, so rather than having it be a requirement, these furnishings could simply lower the prices of the merchant's wares, get you better loot from quests, and give you better sell prices.

Last edited:
The idea is nice, but it needs some polishing. I don't wanna grind a boss for a trophy, just for a Dryad.

The idea is nice, but it needs some polishing. I don't wanna grind a boss for a trophy, just for a Dryad.
Yeah, I know it could use a lot of work. The thing is, if I make an idea that gets implemented I expect the devs to take a lot of liberty in molding it into their own, if you get what I'm saying. It's like 3:30 AM here so I'm having difficulty forming the right words in my head. All this being said, I may go back and polish my ideas now and again if I have something to add to it.

I'm not sure if I like this part:

It's especially the word 'require' that I think would ruin part of the creative aspect of terraria, by forcing players to put specific items in houses.
Yeah, good point. Perhaps I should change it to something like "You would get better prices if these furnishings are in their houses", or maybe this idea is just lame altogether. I have a habit of blurting out any idea that forms in my head out as soon as it forms.

Yeah, good point. Perhaps I should change it to something like "You would get better prices if these furnishings are in their houses", or maybe this idea is just lame altogether. I have a habit of blurting out any idea that forms in my head out as soon as it forms.
Actually, I like that lower prices one :p

I don't like reading wall of texts, to be honest. Anyway, the concept is already present in-game, but only for, I believe, two NPCs, which are the Witch Doctor and Truffle. Maybe if some changes were added to the current NPC housing would be kind of cool, but maybe this could just be added along with a group of new NPCS.

I don't like reading wall of texts, to be honest. Anyway, the concept is already present in-game, but only for, I believe, two NPCs, which are the Witch Doctor and Truffle. Maybe if some changes were added to the current NPC housing would be kind of cool, but maybe this could just be added along with a group of new NPCS.
It's a bit different than just having to build any old house, as long as it's in a certain biome. It has to do with the house, not the biome. I'm just going to ignore that whole "I don't like reading walls of text" for the most part because I doubt it was an actual critique. It seems like something you would say if you were holding a grudge against someone because it really makes no sense. By "walls of text" I assume you mean just a lot of text, which this post isn't really a lot of text, and if you went around just not reading anything that was 8 sentences or longer you would have a pretty hard time in life. Like, just think about what you just commented. "This post is to long, ug" is virtually what you just said. Now, I say stupid stuff all the time so I'm not going to get too worked up about it, but still.

I really like the idea! It would also push people to be more creative with their builds!
Yeah, that was kind of what I was going for. I got really bored of just doing the same minimalist designs (as small as possible, wood walls, table, chair, nothing else x20) for all my NPC houses. I also think NPCs right now are kinda lacking a bit. I mean they're great, but if you could interact a bit more with them and stuff. One reason I still kinda like the "requirement" aspect is because it actually requires you to work a bit for them, not just get rewarded with them by doing things you already would have done even if it weren't for the NPCs, if you get what I'm saying. Like, with the Dryad, you were going to kill a boss anyways, with the Merchant, getting 50 silver coins is inevitable, with the Hair Stylist, you were going to go into the spider cave to get the web slinger, etc.

Like Chadwick already said, 'require' is not an option, but having some 'upgrade' in NPC's when they get what they want really should be nice. I'm not sure about prices, but I definitely like to see some NPCs comments, when they are happy with good housing. For example:

Merchant.
Want: Chest. If there is no chests in his house, he would be saying this line:
"Now I found better way to store my goods, but I had a lot of chests in my old shop..."
When he gets chest:
"Tis a nice chest you gave to me. Reminds me about good ol' days..."
"Wanna buy some chests? Oh, but not this one, I like it, and you gave it to me in the first place."
(during the Blood Moon) "Zombies?! Gah! Maybe it's better for me to hide in the chest?"

Dryad can like flower pot, Nurse - bed or sofa for patients, Dye Trader (Witch Doctor, Goblin) - Dye Vat (Tinkerer's Workshop, Imbuing Station), etc...

If you think it's boring to build the same housing for each of your NPCs, don't. This would just be annoying for people who don't want to be creative and force creative people to implement something they would rather not have into their builds. No one wins in that situation. The reasons behind this suggestion are good, but it would end up being completely counterproductive and cause a lot of people to be upset or rage about it.

Well sure why not
This.
I'm not sure if I like this part:
certain NPCs could require different furnishings in their houses
It's especially the word 'require' that I think would ruin part of the creative aspect of terraria, by forcing players to put specific items in houses.
This would just be annoying for people who don't want to be creative and force creative people to implement something they would rather not have into their builds. No one wins in that situation. The reasons behind this suggestion are good, but it would end up being completely counterproductive and cause a lot of people to be upset or rage about it.

Back
Top Bottom