Game Mechanics Improving the sign....

Are better signs something that Terraria needs?

• Total voters

Reepicheep

The Destroyer
To put it simply, sign editing stinks and should be improved. The basic functionality of the sign makes it hard to write messages, and if you make a mistake/want to change something you have to delete everything in front of that mistake/thing to change to fix it. My idea is that a slightly better system is implemented allowing you to move around where you're typing and delete small portions of text without removing everything in front of it. This would most likely increase the use of signs due to them being easier to use and edit (for me it would anyways).
But this is just a starting point, there's a list of things that could be added to make signs better, right here.
  1. Copy and paste/moving after placing (for when you realize you put a sign in the wrong spot but already wrote the message)
  2. Locking sign editing (this way you can lock it from being changed without your permission, the settings could be all, team, me)
  3. Locking sign destruction (might be a bad idea, but who knows, same settings as above)
  4. Coloring letters?
  5. Adding more signs (see some here)
  6. Adding a build up of speed when deleting words
  7. Applying all these to chests/tombstones
  8. Applying these things to the chat as well (this seems to be a general text improvement now.)
  9. Fixing signs on Mobile (not sure if it's possible to program that....)
And if you guys have any more ideas feel free to post them and I'll add them to the list (given that they're actual ideas that are relevant, I won't just be adding everything you say).

I actually looked for any other threads on signs and only found two, one of which was for new signs and the other for the same reason as this one, and both are a year or two old. So I decided to make a new thread on it and hopefully get some attention, as it is the perfect time for this. 1.3.6 is supposed to be an update that generally improved upon aspects of Terraria that have been overlooked, and I feel that this is a great opportunity to make the sign better.

Last edited:
lol, I still wouldn't use signs. Chest labels are all I need, and if I do happen to need signs, I'll use my tombstones instead, lol.

But any improvement is only a good thing. I do want to see some of the flexible text options (clicking in the middle of the name, moving the sign while preserving the name etc.) be applied to chest names as well.

Naming chests is another thing that's really annoying, but I think it would b easy enough to add the same things to chests and tombstones if they're already on signs. I added it to the list of improvements.

I agree, writing signs is a hassle as it is right now. But I also think this should be applied to when you are writing a message in in-game-chat, because the problem with not being able to correct what you wrote without having to delete what you wrote after that exists there as well. This bothers me quite a bit...

Signs don't even work on mobile, I would definitely not only love all those additions but also for them to fix mobile signs (is anyone else having this problem)

I don't use mobile, but I might get it once I have a phone that'll support it, just for when I'm traveling. Added fixing mobile to the list.

1.3.6 will be adding emotes for characters to use, I feel like they couldn't add this and ignore the less than perfect typing system Terraria uses, I have hope.

C'mon Relogic, this stuff should have been implemented with the signs, but I'll forget that if you put it in now(I'll probably also forget it even if you don't add this.).

Back
Top Bottom