In 2020 Adobe is going to stop supporting Flash Player.. sign this petition to help prevent this

Actually, certain web browsers have already stopped supporting it, because among other things, it brings security risks. In fact, I believe Adobe's decision to stop updating Flash stemmed from the web browser developers' complaints, and not the other way round.

Flash started as an animation and graphics program. I remember doing Flash tutorials in high school. Flash was basically corrupted into its present usage to display ads and videos. That's when it became ubiquitous and, to many people, annoying.

Most people will look forward to the day they can navigate the web without seeing the message "You need to update your version of Flash player". Jettisoning Flash is the right thing to do. Then we can focus on using one program for animation, graphics and games and leave the web stuff to web technologies.

Regardless, people will make open source implementations of Flash, if they haven't already. (I think VLC Player supports Flash?) Yes, Flash is on life support, but it's been like that for years. It's not going to suddenly disappear.

Back
Top Bottom