• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Begin your search for Journey's End information here and here. Please report bugs and issues for Journey's End here.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

In-depth Hardmode weapon tier list

felis

Terrarian
A very good review for weapons, but I would like to give some personal ideas based on my experience that are different about this review:

Coin Gun B+~A+, depending how much inconvenience you could accept.
It acts very well in Bosses, but not very good in normal exploring or events, the main drawback is that you have to prepare your ammo when needed and it can quickly eat away all your coins if you are not careful enough. (and personally I have a tendency of forgetting this)

Megashark A,
Just think it may not be that powerful, especially it needs to take down the Destroyer to get and does not outperform much over Uzi and Onyx Blaster. Also, it is shortly outperformed by Chlorophyte Shortbow.

Brand of the Inferno ?
Maybe not a very good weapon, but the 20 defense is a good addition for tanking some Bosses (especially Moon Lord).

Starlight B+
As its good DPS and Stunlock most enemies, it acts pretty well in exploring locations the dungeons. Also help me fight the Golem, Lunatic Cultist and re-fight Plantera in my recent Master FTW run. It can also be helpful in Solar Pillar. (and by the way, it‘s one of my favorite weapons in 1.4)

In addition, could there be some analysis about pre-hardmode weapons? (even if only the usable weapons in early hardmode)

KelvinM6WF

Terrarian
So... I was in Journey Mode, trying to decide which Mage weapon I like most for Twins, and I was BLOWN AWAY by the Poison Staff's performance. How is nobody talking about this?! I thought before I realized I was using the Venom Staff.

I seem to find Sky Fracture, Crystal Storm and Crystal Serpent are about as awkward as one another while also yielding similar dps, Sky Fracture's controlled spread is great if you're good at it/detrimental if you're not, the Serpent is also not too hard to land over range, but it's dps is a bit more conditional to what the enemy is doing. Crystal Storm is somewhat easier to correct aim-leading with just because it's continuous, it's effective range is decent if your aim is dead on, but otherwise not great. Zapinator is pretty accurate, but it's practical single-target dps doesn't seem to hold up even taking that into account.
Iirc you said Crystal Storm is your favorite, and thx to it's availability I probably agree, but I have a hard time deciding my ideal choice assuming I'm okay spending some time getting a weapon, but am simultaneously doubting it's even worth my time at all.

In addition, could there be some analysis about pre-hardmode weapons? (even if only the usable weapons in early hardmode)
I can't provide a guide by any means, but one thing I noticed on my mage run this time... The Demon Scythe is available VERY early on, and can take down the Wall of Flesh 1st boss with ease, as well as any other pre-hardmode boss. I just went for a Diamond Staff, used that to get Jungle Armor, bought lesser pots to upgrade, got almost full mana/hp bar with hook/hermes during this and then snagged a Water Candle using my hook to speed up the Demon Scythe farm. Think that's all it took to have a comfortable route to this weapon, and it counters all the pre-hardmode bosses functionally, while also having big dps that also deals well with armor better than the Bee Gun. You're ready to jump into hardmode, it's more setup than old Waterbolt but I'd say it's the replacement.

Thator

Terrarian
The Anchor should be moved down to F rank honestly. The Anchor lacks any sort of usefulness in the point of the game you obtain it, it has terrible damage, limited uses, slower attack rate than a snail, and lacks any tactical uses to help defend yourself effectively(especially in Expert.) It should be down in the pits with the Crystal Vile Shard. (Which is a shame too, the weapon only gains any usability if you combine it with an Ichor debuff, and it still gets a rather subpar DPS anyways. The Crystal Vile Shard should really get a buff to make it worthy of being in the Mimic drop pools, such as armor penetration and slightly increased damage to up the DPS a bit.)

Other than that, excellent tier list! It clearly shows effort and thought put into it.
me and my friend where playing in a mastermode for the worthy and the ancor helped a lot

sharkman0101

Spazmatism
me and my friend where playing in a mastermode for the worthy and the ancor helped a lot
This was before 1.4 came out, where Anchor was worse than it is currently.

Eiiiither way, there are better options than the Anchor that are available out of the gate in hardmode, so I'm guessing the Anchor could be useful if you get it as soon as you fish something up. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get it specifically.

Dragrath

Duke Fishron
This was before 1.4 came out, where Anchor was worse than it is currently.

Eiiiither way, there are better options than the Anchor that are available out of the gate in hardmode, so I'm guessing the Anchor could be useful if you get it as soon as you fish something up. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get it specifically.
It was updated to include the Empress of light drops and other 1.4 weapons minus Zenith which doesn't need a ranking anyway. Not sure it it is fully up to date or not since the formatting is inconsistent near the end

sharkman0101

Spazmatism
It was updated to include the Empress of light drops and other 1.4 weapons minus Zenith which doesn't need a ranking anyway. Not sure it it is fully up to date or not since the formatting is inconsistent near the end
I am aware of this, I was just responding to the other person since the statement I made about the Anchor was when the list was made for 1.3 weapon rankings, with the Anchor undoubtedly being an F-tier weapon. It's slightly better now, but I'd still recommend other options as your go-to.

qwerty3.14

Terrarian
I am aware of this, I was just responding to the other person since the statement I made about the Anchor was when the list was made for 1.3 weapon rankings, with the Anchor undoubtedly being an F-tier weapon. It's slightly better now, but I'd still recommend other options as your go-to.
The pearlwood bow had a better rating than the 1.3 anchor... just to give you some context on how bad it used to be...

Top Bottom