In-depth Hardmode weapon tier list

you can't win a boss fight if you take too much damage and die
well, all bosses except twins have relatively stationary periods: destroyer's body can be continuously hit without taking much melee damage(though you might take projectile damage, which is minimalistic anyways), Skeletron prime's head is slow and easily targeted when spinning, golem is self-explanatory, duke is pretty stationary when changing phrases and the fetid is enough to skip its third phase if timed right, cultist doesn't move much at all despite being somewhat hard to hit, and moon lord deals no contact damage.
in fact, the fetid is one of the best weapons for melee moon lord.
also, with enough skill, it is possible to use this efficiently without taking crap tons of damage.

well, all bosses except twins have relatively stationary periods: destroyer's body can be continuously hit without taking much melee damage(though you might take projectile damage, which is minimalistic anyways), Skeletron prime's head is slow and easily targeted when spinning, golem is self-explanatory, duke is pretty stationary when changing phrases and the fetid is enough to skip its third phase if timed right, cultist doesn't move much at all despite being somewhat hard to hit, and moon lord deals no contact damage.
in fact, the fetid is one of the best weapons for melee moon lord.
also, with enough skill, it is possible to use this efficiently without taking crap tons of damage.
All the risk you put into it to charge at a boss during their few seconds of been stationary makes it certainely more difficult to use than say, a Megashark.

Should a weapon be tiered on how much DPS it can do. Or if it is easier to use compared with other weapons?

Safety and ease to use is one of the things taken into account by judging Weapon tiers. And I don't count the Fetid Baghnaks as a weapon without their risks. Even if it only takes a few seconds to annihilate their health bar with the right build.

I find the placement of the Fetid Baghnakhs in a right position of it been A tier. And their strenght and weaknesses are described well.

Last edited:
All the risk you put into it to charge at a boss during their few seconds of been stationary makes it certainely more difficult to use than say, a Megashark.

Should a weapon be tiered on how much DPS it can do. Or if it is easier to use compared with other weapons?

Safety and ease to use is one of the things taken into account by judging Weapon tiers. And I don't count the Fetid Baghnaks as a weapon without their risks. Even if it only takes a few seconds to annihilate their health bar with the right build.

I find the placement of the Fetid Baghnakhs in a right position of it been A tier. And their strenght and weaknesses are described well.
Agreed on it being A tier, but firstly it’s pre-megashark(and there is a bit of a gap between destroyer and crimson mimic) and secondly it does not belong in A- due to it’s utility in many non boss-related situations you will deal with in early hardmode.
An A, without- or +, is more sensible.

Onyx Blaster: S+
Uses standard bullets.
Availability: 5/5. Crafted from Shotgun, Soul of Night x10, Dark Shard x2 at a Hardmode Anvil.

Best prefix: Unreal $$

I can agree that Onyx Blaster is a ridiculous weapon, which is one of my fav weapons in the entire game. However Availability should be 3-4 because getting dark shards is pain in the back if you don't have any corrupted deserts. It may take a few hours and you'll die a lot without some good gear.

I can agree that Onyx Blaster is a ridiculous weapon, which is one of my fav weapons in the entire game. However Availability should be 3-4 because getting dark shards is pain in the back if you don't have any corrupted deserts. It may take a few hours and you'll die a lot without some good gear.
10% drop that you need two of, so most people won’t need to kill more than 20 or so Dark Mummies for it. Plus, Dark Mummies are predictable and don’t have much knockback resistance, so I really do not expect people to die while farming them unless they’re using, like... a Breaker Blade or something. I forgot what I wrote for the Onyx Blaster’s availability, but 4/5 sounds about right. As I wrote under Dao of Pow, creating your own corrupted desert is always an option.

e: I see, I had it written down as 5/5. edited all three accordingly.

ngl it's kinda annoying to create your own evil desert. Though, thats just my opinion. They should have made it a guarantee that you get a evil desert in world gen (or an evil next to the desert) so that you dont have to create your own.

i am getting off topic because Crimson Worlds need an evil desert for Ankh Shield...

Could you maybe make a prehardmode tier list? I kinda just get whatever I can scavenge in prehm and I want to know what's worth going after besides the Arkhalis and Water Bolt...

Could you maybe make a prehardmode tier list? I kinda just get whatever I can scavenge in prehm and I want to know what's worth going after besides the Arkhalis and Water Bolt...
Well, the list of good preHM weapons is very short compared to how many there are, so if I do make something like that it won’t cover Phaseblades, Muramasa, Purple Clubberfish, Blade of Grass, and other generic :red:.

But going off my experience, some preHM weapons that are agreed to be excellent at their respective stages of the game are

-Snowball Cannon
-Javelins
-Enchanted Sword
-Amazon
-Space Gun
-The Bee’s Knees
-Molten Fury
-Beenades
-Phoenix Blaster

-Blowgun: rather unimpressive in preHM but gets quite decent in early HM with crystal darts

If I do make this thread, I’m only going to do a writeup for a weapon if I have something unique to say about it.

Well, the list of good preHM weapons is very short compared to how many there are, so if I do make something like that it won’t cover Phaseblades, Muramasa, Purple Clubberfish, Blade of Grass, and other generic :red:.

But going off my experience, some preHM weapons that are agreed to be excellent at their respective stages of the game are

-Snowball Cannon
-Javelins
-Enchanted Sword
-Amazon
-Space Gun
-The Bee’s Knees
-Molten Fury
-Beenades
-Phoenix Blaster

-Blowgun: rather unimpressive in preHM but gets quite decent in early HM with crystal darts

If I do make this thread, I’m only going to do a writeup for a weapon if I have something unique to say about it.
Thanks, I knew about most of those being good, (I don't really like the space gun though because I prefer higher total mana over just spamming one weapon with the meteor set and it never crossed my mind that the blowgun could do that.) I kinda agree with you not including all the generic broadswords if you ever do that.

\
-Snowball Cannon
-Javelins
-Enchanted Sword
-Amazon
-Space Gun
-The Bee’s Knees
-Molten Fury
-Beenades
-Phoenix Blaster

Review on this PHM weapons list.

i honestly dont even know the ammo FOR the snowball cannon. i can't comment.
Javelins with grenades can desimate King Slime, and probably can be carried into hardmode (in my experience with king slime, im doing a throwing playthrough with a friend and they are mage)
Decent beam sword, though can it beat the Arkhalis? In my opinion worse than arkhalis in DPS (most likely because... it's arkhalis...) but MILES better in range.
I dont think i need to comment on this weapon with Meteor Armor.
"NOT THE BEEESSS! NOT THE BEESSSSSSSSS" i havn't used this, but if it's slightly worse than Hellwing bow it's pretty good.
If you want something more powerful, try the Night's Edge. And if you need something for range, enchanted sword.
i have never used these, but i know how good they are agienst WoF
I honestly dont think i have used this.

Review on this PHM weapons list.

i honestly dont even know the ammo FOR the snowball cannon. i can't comment.
Javelins with grenades can desimate King Slime, and probably can be carried into hardmode (in my experience with king slime, im doing a throwing playthrough with a friend and they are mage)
Decent beam sword, though can it beat the Arkhalis? In my opinion worse than arkhalis in DPS (most likely because... it's arkhalis...) but MILES better in range.
I dont think i need to comment on this weapon with Meteor Armor.
"NOT THE BEEESSS! NOT THE BEESSSSSSSSS" i havn't used this, but if it's slightly worse than Hellwing bow it's pretty good.
If you want something more powerful, try the Night's Edge. And if you need something for range, enchanted sword.
i have never used these, but i know how good they are agienst WoF
I honestly dont think i have used this.
The snowball cannon's's ammo is snowballs (lol) which you get from crafting in packs of 10 using 1 snowblock by hand
I have never used javelins and grenades because of how powerful beenades are (and I just full on use bombs in early game).
Don't underestimate arkhalis, it works incredibly well against basically all non bosses in pre hm and some weaker enemies in early hm incredibly well because of it's knockback and stupid damage, also all of the non boss enemy projectiles in prehm are either destructible or are borked by the game's bad AI (except maybe demons and even those projectiles have a delay).
I honestly don't really like using meteor armor because I care more about mana then damage, but that's really more opinion than anything...
It's better than Hellwing bow imo because the hellwing bow has piercing, which would be fine if it wasn't kinda inaccurate...
I think you confused the Molten Fury (a bow which converts wooden arrows into flaming arrows) with the Fiery Greatsword.
Beenades just kind of shred everything but they're annoying enough to get in bulk that most people just save them for wof.
The Phoenix blaster requires the handgun in the recipe, which means you have to look for it to get it (I don't remember specifically how good it is though...)
Edit: whoopsie I forgot about hornets for the arkhalis...

Last edited:
The snowball cannon's's ammo is snowballs (lol) which you get from crafting in packs of 10 using 1 snowblock by hand
I have never used javelins and grenades because of how powerful beenades are (and I just full on use bombs in early game).
Don't underestimate arkhalis, it works incredibly well against basically all non bosses in pre hm and some weaker enemies in early hm incredibly well because of it's knockback and stupid damage, also all of the non boss enemy projectiles in prehm are either destructible or are borked by the game's bad AI (except maybe demons and even those projectiles have a delay).
I honestly don't really like using meteor armor because I care more about mana then damage, but that's really more opinion than anything...
It's better than Hellwing bow imo because the hellwing bow has piercing, which would be fine if it wasn't kinda inaccurate...
I think you confused the Molten Fury (a bow which converts wooden arrows into flaming arrows) with the Fiery Greatsword.
Beenades just kind of shred everything but they're annoying enough to get in bulk that most people just save them for wof.
The Phoenix blaster requires the handgun in the recipe, which means you have to look for it to get it (I don't remember specifically how good it is though...)
Edit: whoopsie I forgot about hornets for the arkhalis...

Ok.
USE THEM THEY ARE SUPER GOOD
Im not, it shreds everything. To clarify, im asking if the Enchanted sword > Arkhalis.
0 cool.
I honestly havn't used the molten fury and the Firey Greatsword only once, and have only used the sword to craft the Nights Edge (which is more powerful [i think] but less range).
yee
yee
btw i forgot the amazon, but i have never used it.

Razorpine --> S
Xenopopper --> A
Chain Gun --> A-

Did a little bit of re-tiering. So far, I'm liking the Xenopopper a lot more than the Chain Gun. Maybe it's because I've been getting more practice with using it. I used to think that Chlorophyte Bullets were the only way to make it work, but I'm gradually changing my mind.

That said, the Vortex Beater still edges it out by a fair bit. I suppose the Xenopopper's utility depends heavily on whether you want to rush the Lunar events or not.

Yep i knew razorblade typhoon would be s+!

Also i dont understand how magnet sphere is S because most post plantera dungeon weapons are better
When played correctly, the Magnet Sphere basically adds a free Megashark to your DPS for a few seconds, while still letting you attack with your other weapons. It’s a much higher-skill weapon than the Typhoon, to be fair. Swap to it for one cast and return to your primary weapon.

Yep i knew razorblade typhoon would be s+!

Also i dont understand how magnet sphere is S because most post plantera dungeon weapons are better
It's S because you can fire it and immediately switch to a different weapon to supplement it while it's still shredding enemies and it last for long enough that you won't go insane re-firing it.

When played correctly, the Magnet Sphere basically adds a free Megashark to your DPS for a few seconds, while still letting you attack with your other weapons. It’s a much higher-skill weapon than the Typhoon, to be fair. Swap to it for one cast and return to your primary weapon.
Ohh im not the type who likes to keep switching weapons when im on mobile

But ok i can see it being effective in pc

I've talked to a lot of people who swear by the Crystal Serpent, claiming that they used it against Duke Fishron, the Destroyer, and such, but I can't help but feel like I've been too generous toward it. Its single-target damage is not that good, and neither does it have any real crowd control. Comparing it side-by-side with Sky Fracture, it's pretty obvious which one performs better. I can't imagine how horribly long it would take to slowly wear down Fishron with that thing.

I've also lost my patience with the Venus Magnum a little bit. It's doubtful if I can even match the Megashark's fire rate on manual. I preferred using the Megashark 100% of the time, despite the marginal disadvantage in (ideal) DPS. With this in mind, what would be the first gun actually worth swapping the Megashark out for? Candy Corn? Xenopopper?

I've also lost my patience with the Venus Magnum a little bit. It's doubtful if I can even match the Megashark's fire rate on manual. I preferred using the Megashark 100% of the time, despite the marginal disadvantage in (ideal) DPS. With this in mind, what would be the first gun actually worth swapping the Megashark out for? Candy Corn? Xenopopper?
I thought the Chain Gun was an indirect upgrade to the megashark. Not sure if it holds true due to it's spread. But there aren't many weapons that outclasses the Megashark until much later tiers.

I thought the Chain Gun was an indirect upgrade to the megashark. Not sure if it holds true due to it's spread. But there aren't many weapons that outclasses the Megashark until much later tiers.
If you're using Chlorophyte Bullets, spread doesn't matter that much. I'm pretty sure the Tactical Shotgun out-DPSes the Megashark as well if it's all hitting, but you'd probably want to keep both guns in that case.

Back
Top Bottom