GOG
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Linux Other
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
As it says in the title I have presented problems with the lighting engine "color" and "white" in the version of terraria 1.4.0.5, specifically the walls which are not rendered as they should, since they become transparent or even completely darken .

Some things I want to clarify:
- I have tried other characters in other worlds, even new ones.

- I have tried to delete the folder dondo terraria saves its settings, worlds, characters, etc.

- I have tried on another computer with a Linux operating system (Debian), different from mine (Arch Linux), which does not present this problem.

I don't know what the source of the problem is, in version 1.4.0.4 and earlier I didn't have this problem. I hope all this information is enough, I attach some images to complement the post:

Capture 2020-07-05 07_22_05.png

Capture 2020-07-05 07_25_36.png

Capture 2020-07-05 07_29_27.png

Hello! I have run into the same issue. I don't understand why this is occurring. I recently messed with some packages I had installed because I was trying to get epic games launcher to work. This was posted a couple of months ago so I was wondering if you found a solution to this issue. Thanks.

I suspect gfx drivers. You have a chance to try a software renderer which is usually correct(er) but incredibly slow if you start the binary with from a console or script with the variable set:
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 ./Terraria.bin.x86_64

Hello! I have run into the same issue. I don't understand why this is occurring. I recently messed with some packages I had installed because I was trying to get epic games launcher to work. This was posted a couple of months ago so I was wondering if you found a solution to this issue. Thanks.

I have not found a solution, the strangest thing is that it seems that it only happens in the arch linux operating system

I have not found a solution, the strangest thing is that it seems that it only happens in the arch linux operating system
It's definitely not an arch problem. I am having the same issue on Gentoo.
As mutisk said, its probably a driver problem, since for me, the game experiences the problem when it runs on intel graphics (llvmpipe renderer), but runs fine on an Nvidia gpu. Running with software renderer doesn't fix the problem though.

I found a workaround on Opensuse and should work fine on other distros. When in game change the lighting to RETRO and the walls will return, there will be a performance boost at the cost of some prettyness.

The machine tested on was a Opensuse Leap 15.3 on a Thinkpad L440 with intel core i3 4000m and intel igpu.

I found a solution.
Bought the game, again at GOG, for Linux no issues on PopOs. Now, it seems the problem is from the Steam end. Didn’t mind buying the game again since I have invested countless fun hours on this game.

I found a solution.
Bought the game, again at GOG, for Linux no issues on PopOs. Now, it seems the problem is from the Steam end. Didn’t mind buying the game again since I have invested countless fun hours on this game.
Yeah, bless GOG's heart, they do their best to maximize compatibility with all their versions of games. Makes me wish I had bought it there first.

Steam still sells downright unplayable games from the 90s, totally broken on newer systems. Meanwhile, GOG sells the same games but fixed them so they actually WORK. I'm grateful for that, so that's my go-to for classics and oldies. Seems newer games can still benefit from their magic touch.

Back
Top Bottom