Game Mechanics Increasing the current HP cap

DarkScythe

Terrarian
I've been wondering, will it be a good idea if our HP cap was increased to say, 1000? It'll make our lives much easier when killing some Hardmode bosses but at the same time this has potential to decrease the difficulty dramatically. Besides, adding another Heart Stone/Life Fruit equivalent type of object is gonna be another long pixel hunt for the item, so the challenge kinds of even out right? So what do you guys think of the idea? Yay or nay?

You need to remember, there's a time interval between our healing, and our max heal is like 150. It might be OP as you point out but since we went through the trouble to hunt for the HP increase item, we deserve the power, do we not? Maybe make it even more rare than Life Fruit? Or so rare that you need to defeat a certain boss just to get enough ingredient to carve only ONE of such item?

This is overpowered to the max. It would cause all lifestealing weapons to be overpowered again. Who needs normal weapons when you can just heal it all back up. The Turtle Armor as well would become powerful set if you have more health. I say No Support.

even more rare than Life Fruit
It just means more annoyance. And one thing you will see often here, "rarity does not justify power".

For us to have more than our current HP now, there must be a whole lot more progression than there is now, otherwise, yes, it is considerably too much. 500(or 600 with lifeforce) currently is sufficient to carry you through most of the game.

Unless there's at least double or triple the content of the game we have now in terms of progression, I highly doubt we'll see a HP cap increase to 1000, as it'll just make the game too easy.

If the cap increased to 600, with maybe something like... Hearts of Stone or maybe... Iron Hearts?... Diamond Hearts?... something like that appearing in the dungeon post Plantera.

If the game Was Easy, The Game Will be Boring! So You Said That It Will be Easy To Beat a Boss With 1000? No Its Supposed To Be Moderately Hard So It Could Feel Challenging!

Well, maybe this will be ok but not 1,000, if to get a health increaser in 1.3, not just in the easy post plantera dungeon. I think it should be a recipe (if 1,000 hp is to come) of a heart crystal, life fruit, and a rare drop in 1.3, an
extremely rare drop accesory, or a ROD of discord, a life fruit, heart crystal, and a 1.3 event item to bring you to 1,000. It should also include some drawbacks, maybe such as higher delay in spectre healing and in vampire knives. Also the lack of defense, or damage. If there if drawbacks added however, there should also be a way to go back to 500 hp and back to 1,000.

Last edited:
No, the HP cap doesn't need increasing. For a somewhat similar reason to my reply in "Gating Life Fruit": All of the HP in Terraria won't help you if you're not prepared properly for the fight.
Even endgame Hardmode on 500 health is easy enough - only Duke Fishron and the Moon Event bosses really have the power to kill me. (And they're meant to be a challenge for endgame, which is why this is the case.) Adding extra health is going to do nothing. You'll still die, but a little later.

Depending on what's coming in 1.3, an increase to maybe 600 might be warranted for Lunar Events / Bosses / Expert Mode. But not 1000.

With the game as it is now, 400 HP are enough to beat all progression bosses with enough skill, 500 being a "commodity" to use against the extras (wave events/Fishron.) Health can be raised further through buffs, making the game extremely easy. Add a Godmode Armor (aka Spectre) to the mix, and dying becomes a rarity. Now, the average gamer will need 500-600 HP to get through things, of course, but... Double that? Invincibility gets boring after a while.

Further increasing the HP may be needed for most players to get through 1.3 bosses, in which case it will be increased (as it was in 1.2) but that's something yet to be seen.

Nobody. Nobody needs 1000 HP to beat hardmode bosses, as they're designed around being challenging for players who have the maximum HP which can be reached at the time at which the bossfight can occur (except Eye of Cthulu, Skeletron and Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulu, which are designed around players with 200HP, which is why I support this thread with all my heart crystals). For hardmode bosses, this time comes around the 400HP mark, 500 for Plantera onwards.
Now, some people might complain about the bosses being too difficult, them taking too much damage, etc, etc. But players shouldn't forget that Ironskin and Lifeforce are potions which are extremely useful in fights one might struggle with. Lifeforce increases the maximum HP to a whopping 600! It makes, for example, a first Plantera kill so much easier.

Say, if we implimented 600 HP being a pretty standard thing in pre-hardmode. Like, players will have 600 HP when fighting the wall of flesh. Inevitably, the Wall itself is going to be buffed as well. To compensate for this buff to the player, enemies will deal roughly 2x their previous damage, to not make the game boring, like it would be if the player never drops below 200HP or the Wall had as much HP as Skeletron Prime now has. It'd just be tedious.

With 1.3 and new, stronger enemies coming along, I can see the developers adding a new way of increasing the max HP to something along the lines of 550. Be it rare drops from some Martian Madness enemies, or an item sold by a new or old NPC; I can't predict that. This slight increase would tightly fit the player to the difficulty which is presented to them, while not making them too strong, as 1000HP certainly would.

Unfortunately, increasing max health is relatively meaningless. It allows numbers to get bigger, but for the overall challenge to remain the same, enemies, armor, and the like, will be scaled to percentages of max health, rather than hard numbers. To put this into perspective, even if the max health were increased to 500,000, if healing items and damage at that stage of the game were 1,000 times stronger, it'd all be meaningless. All a larger number does is give the developer a greater degree of control without the use of decimals. Life fruit exists more because the idea and aesthetic is neat, and less because a 500 makes the player more powerful. This stops being true if the player has some incentive to not increase her health (such as having points to invest in one of several stats), but since there's no reason other than self-imposed challenge to not have max health when possible, everything will be balanced for max health no matter what ephemeral number is taped to it.

I think having 1000 is not as powerful as people think it is. Without life-leech, it's just another 500 health. And that is only another 5 or so hits from, say, Duke Fishron.

What would be more OP would be to have so many regeneration items that you can heal up damage dealt pretty quickly. Oh wait, we already have that. The fact that people can stack Regen Pot, Campfire, Heart Lantern, Charm of Myths, Regeneration Band, Celestial Stone, Moon/Sun Stone and Honey while using any weapon and armour they desire is much, much more broken than having a max cap health of, say, 2000. 2000 health just makes you survive 4x longer, whereas all of those regeneration attributes potentially make you invulnerable, assuming you aren't bad enough to constantly get hit over and over again.

Though I find that the cap could be raised a little without touching the regeneration factor, I'd much prefer for regeneration as a whole to be toned down a lot. Then you can buff the hp cap immensely to compensate.

Maybe Life Force potion might work? But, It only go up about 600 - 700 hp?
I don't think the life force potion existed when this thread was made. Also that still only brings the player to 600 if you have full life fruits.

I say "still" even though 600 is an overpowered amount off health as it is.

I don't need to say yay or nay, because thankfully this will never happen. Oops, I guess I gave my nay here.

Doubling a player's hitpoints would make normal mode an absolute breeze (more than it already is) and would make expert mode incredibly easier as well.

I'm going to buck the trend and say this isn't overpowered...

Because increasing the health cap is pointless. End game enemies are hitting you for 100+ damage per shot. You can't tank it, no matter how much life you have. You need to avoid the damage.

Back
Top Bottom