Game Mechanics Infinite Scalable Event (Old One's Army)

MartinCL

Terrarian
So, I don't know if something like this has been suggested before, if so I'm sorry.

Basically I've been playing with my friends, but mostly everyone on his own world and sharing some of our progress and stuff,
which is really fun and all, but I then thought.. well, once we all defeat the moon lord, then what's next?
How can we show others that we are progresing more than them? The competitive side is really a huge part of what makes the game fun this way..

So I then thought about one of the games that I've really liked because of it's never ending progression system; Diablo 3.

Basically on d3 there's something called Greater Rifts,
every "rift" scales depending on it's level, if you are doing a Lv10 Rift it will be way easier than a Lv20 Rift,
what changes are not mechanics but raw numbers; mobs deal more damage, have more defense, and more HP.

Now how could you translate that to a game like Terraria?
Well, that's not that hard.. since the base is already there: the Old One's Army event.

What if there was an infinite version of this event (optional obviously),
in which you can keep going on more and more waves until the crystal is destroyed,
with every wave uping the difficulty by a bit.

Some examples on how to up the difficulty without making new enemies or new mechanics:

- Make mobs damage/defense/hp based on the number of wave (so the same mob is stronger on a Wave 10 than a Wave 5).
- Spawn more monsters, what about 2 betsy at the same time? What about 3? 10? doesn't matter.. it's inifinite, just keep adding more with every wave.
- Debuffs: make the player slower or weaker on different ways using the already implemented debuffs.

Obviously this mode would need some sort of catching up to avoid boring starts,
maybe you start on 5 waves less than your record, so if your record is 25 waves, you start on wave 20 the next time you play this mode.

So, why would this be cool/good?

Basically, it gives players a never ending way of competition.
Yes you and all your friends already have the best items, and already defeated the Moon Lord on Expert,
but with this the competition would never end, you could keep trying to beat your friends records, or even the records of any player online.

And if that is not something that you would enjoy,
well it's just an optional part of the game, you can skip it completely if you want.

I remember the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon used to be this kind of 'competitive mode', back when reaching wave 15 on either of them was one of the hardest things possible to do.

I like the idea of this, but eventually there will be an easy and lazy way to reach a highscore, and that'll remove the fun of it.
For example, it wouldn't matter much if you've many enemies/bosses with the same AI if you're holding a Last Prism. So that way, everyone would need to use a Last Prism in order to beat the highscore of someone else. (Of course it doesn't have to be the Last Prism in particular, but you get the idea)

I remember the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon used to be this kind of 'competitive mode', back when reaching wave 15 on either of them was one of the hardest things possible to do.

I like the idea of this, but eventually there will be an easy and lazy way to reach a highscore, and that'll remove the fun of it.
For example, it wouldn't matter much if you've many enemies/bosses with the same AI if you're holding a Last Prism. So that way, everyone would need to use a Last Prism in order to beat the highscore of someone else. (Of course it doesn't have to be the Last Prism in particular, but you get the idea)

Well that's where you could start debuffing the character itself, maybe limit it's max mana or something like that.
But I do agree, some people would just farm it the easiest way possible.

Back
Top Bottom