Internet-Wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality

The battle for Net Neutrality has been one that has somewhat been constantly ongoing, but not fully as open as it is now it has felt like.

The Internet is important to me as a whole. Without it being free as it is, things like Anime may've not come to the US and I wouldn't have been exposed to it. And the game Terraria itself may have not come into being if the ISP services choose to restrict content that people could view. Which would mean no TCF. And that would be terribly sad.

There is the saying of "Information wants to be free" And it especially applies here as well. ISP services shouldn't be able to decide how you view the Internet as a whole. Which is denying information about the World that everyone should be able to discover and learn about by their own choice.

This is my 1st time doing this kind of thing ever. I will be sending a comment to the FCC to do my part. Since the Internet should be an open world in itself for everyone to have access to, being able to ignore the physical limitations that people may face IRL.

Glad to see an announcement on this Safeman and Arkhayla. The Internet is an important place for me, and I want our home of TCF for everyone here to be able to remain open as it is.

...This sounds bad...
What's worse: I don't know my proceedings, and my country doesn't have a state either.

While I would love to help, I don't understand how I can fill in the required files if they don't apply to me..
Apparently if you click the box for 'International', you can bypass the fields that don't apply to you.

e93fec2e08.png

Even if this is going to a US Government entity, I see nothing to prevent non-US citizens from expressing an opinion.

Here we are again...
First ACTA, then its zombie CETA, probably some things I was not aware of in between and now this.
How many times will they try to cut us off of a neutral Internet ?

No matter the answer, we will defeat them as many times as we have to.

In a nutshell, if net neutrality is lost:

> Big-name ISPs can block or speed-clamp sites they don't like or are in opposition to what they offer
> Services such as Youtube will have access issues
> It will be a lot harder to stream to services like Twitch, Hitbox, Mixer etc.
> They can gate off sites unless you sign up for a package
> ISPs can make it hard for you to use VPNs
> ISPs can reintroduce supercookies (if you all remember the Verizon fiasco)
> ISPs can act as watchdogs for special-interest groups -- you're screwed if you're an activist
> Upload speeds can be clamped -- very bad if you're running a dedicated game server that is very popular i.e. Terraria, Minecraft, Starbound, TF2 etc.

And while it's a US thing, the entire world will feel an impact. Think about having slow/no connects to Steam, GOG, itch.io. Think about your favorite multiplayer games suddenly losing a crapton of players. It will be a very bland place.

So yes, do make your concerns heard, and make them heard well. And as someone pointed out posts ago, you CAN file a concern if you're a non-US.

As somebody from the UK, I support the train of thought that these proposed changes won't necessarily affect the world at large, and I'll explain why.

Though the UK had a voluntary system prior to this, the principle of net neutrality is active in British law courtesy of the European Union's Regulation on Open Internet Access, which came into effect during the October of 2015. To paraphrase, this established the standards in which internet service providers cannot deny access to or otherwise impede the retrieval of data via throttling speeds or otherwise for competitive or commercial purposes. Thus, I believe it safe to say that anybody that happens to reside within the EU's borders is exempt from the proceedings.

...Having said that, I still see some merit in non-US citizens tackling this debate head-on, as I see it as a situation akin to vaccinations, where those that elect to have them applied safeguard those that cannot via herd immunity, whether this is due to allergies to the vaccine, or the beliefs of the person or people in question - voicing your opinions here will not only aid the US in their struggle for the protection of net neutrality, but should the protests be successful, would hopefully limit both the quantity and the frequency of foreign, non-EU countries electing to themselves pass bills calling for the removal of net neutrality.

Apparently if you click the box for 'International', you can bypass the fields that don't apply to you.

e93fec2e08.png

Even if this is going to a US Government entity, I see nothing to prevent non-US citizens from expressing an opinion.
O so I CAN help well allright then let's do it!

Screw You Trump This is your fault
The one you really need to blame is Ajit Pai. There are times in history where one person has the power to affect the whole world. This man has it, and whether or not he understands the sheer magnitude in which he is going to change it, what he is doing is wrong, he is going to give ISPs a crap ton of money, and he is going to destroy small business trying to set themselves up online.

Back
Top Bottom