Sprites Invasion Blockers - Curing the Plague of Blood Moons

652Graystripe

Plantera
Credits for the base idea of this goes to @Pinelord - he and I were playing together when the problem presented itself, and so we decided to work on this suggestion. Sprites are by the awesome @Jack Morgan, and specifics on stats are mine.

So, essentially, we had problems with invasions occurring when they were really not a challenge, or when they weren't needed. You've all had that, yeah? Bet you have, too.
The problem here is that these events do not make the game more difficult, more exciting or more fun - they merely put some of your time away. Time that would be better spent having fun than dealing with enforced time constraints.

Jolly Roger
-Placeable
-Sold by Pirate after Flying Dutchman is defeated OR is craftable with 1 Cutlass, 5 Gold Coins and 10 Silk
-Prevents Pirate Invasions from naturally occurring; can be toggled with wire or by hand

index.php

Lunar Lens
'View the heavens, or your new hairdo'
-Placeable
-Sold by Mechanic after a Clown is defeated
-Prevents Blood Moons from naturally occuring; can be toggled with wire or by hand

index.php

Red Sigil
-Dropped by Zombies, 0.5%
-Summons a Blood Moon

index.php

Odd Radar
'Shoots signal digimawhoozimawhatzit beams'
-Placeable
-Sold by Cyborg after Martian Saucer is defeated OR is craftable with 100 Martian Conduit Plating, 5 Gold Coins and 10 Silk
-Prevents Martian Probes from spawning; can be toggled

index.php

Orbital Manipulator
'Do not operate under the influence of alcohol'
-Placeable
-Sold by Steampunker after Mothron is defeated
-Prevents Solar Eclipses from naturally occurring; can be toggled with wire or by hand

index.php

Goblin-B-Gon
'All for one easy payment!'
-Placeable
-Sold by the Goblin Tinkerer after the Goblin Summoner is defeated OR is craftable with 20 Spiky Balls and 5 Tattered Cloth
-Prevents Goblin Invasions from occurring naturally; can be toggled by wire or by hand

Last edited:
I'm assuming the Odd Radar prevents Martian Probes from spawning, it looks like you left that bit out. Anyhoo, these are pretty alright. I might fill in the missing sprites when I get home.

I definitely like the idea, but you might want to make them a bit harder to get. Only having to beat the invasion once before you banish it forever seems a little silly.

I definitely like the idea, but you might want to make them a bit harder to get. Only having to beat the invasion once before you banish it forever seems a little silly.
Well, you've proven you can beat it, and so you should have dominion over it. I may change it to "without dying", though. Seem fair?

I have to ask, why go through all the effort of specific invasion/event prohibiting when one post Moon Lord item could prevent them all? I'm failing to think of a scenario where I or other players wouldn't be happy to see X or Y but would be happy to see Z at that stage. Alongside a summoning item for the Blood Moon added wouldn't it just be easier to have one block everything so they have to be manually summoned?

I support this! I can't count the number of times I've been building something, when all of a sudden "The Blood Moon is rising..." or "A Solar Eclipse is happening!" Sometimes one after the other (I'm serious - I once had a Blood Moon, a Solar Eclipse, and then another Blood Moon occur consecutively).

I have to ask, why go through all the effort of specific invasion/event prohibiting when one post Moon Lord item could prevent them all? I'm failing to think of a scenario where I or other players wouldn't be happy to see X or Y but would be happy to see Z at that stage. Alongside a summoning item for the Blood Moon added wouldn't it just be easier to have one block everything so they have to be manually summoned?
That's a good point. Matter of personal opinion - I don't really have problems with stuff like invasions, since they can be stopped in name of DPS. But yeah, that might be useful. What about a single item that can toggle them individually?

Unfortunately, then it's only available post-ML. Blood moons get annoying way too fast.

On another note, I may add a "Cloud Seeder" to this post, to prompt rain to fall. Might be useful. Thoughts?

It's hard to comment on this since I don't fully share in the sentiment of wanting the weather to change or finding invasions that annoying. I just went about my business when any of the above occurred and beside a few occasions of wanting it to rain so I could farm Frost Cores or having the odd struggle with events happening when I couldn't clear them they've never been a major concern for me.

I think it's important to have things contribute to what little difficulty there is for farming in the game. If everything were made trivial and on demand it'd subtract from the sense of accomplishment. Some degree of inconveniences should be kept for this purpose, despite the fact that yes; players can manually hinder themselves if they don't wish to use the easy route but it'd never simulate the feeling of getting lucky, or being fortunate and self impose limitations aren't always straight forward to pull off or satisfactory.

Sorry if that's not entirely clear, I'm not focused at the time of typing this.

Well, you've proven you can beat it, and so you should have dominion over it. I may change it to "without dying", though. Seem fair?
I think the method to obtain these should be to defeat it twice without anyone dying (NPCs excluded). This makes it a little more balanced towards PvP and Co-op maps.

I agree with @Muteness . I think it adds some amount of interest to the playthrough, having to play around events or ignore them.

On a side note, the item tag for the odd radar is the best thing I've seen all day

Well, for collectionists like me it would matter which ones are prevented. Currently, I have all items from the solar eclipse, but my stack of bananarangs isn't maxed, so blood moons are still somewhat useful for me. Another example: until very recently, I didn't have a lucky coin, but I had all items from goblins and martians.

Yeah, that would be great, I had a Martian Invasion and a Solar Eclipse happening at the same time while I was fighting the Duke Fishron
There should also be an item for summoning those events that cannot be summoned already

Well, for collectionists like me it would matter which ones are prevented.

Wanting to to do specific events by manually triggering them will always be more efficient though. I'm aware we don't have one now but hypothetically if the Blood Moon was to receive one then wouldn't you just do that instead? Just like anyone else if I wanted a Coin I'd go and farm a bunch of Pirate Maps rather than toggling some setting to just sit around waiting for it, that's the point I'm trying to make: The only argument for specifying which should or shouldn't happen is in the case of lacking a means of triggering it yourself which hopefully won't remain the case in future.

I'm all for granting more options to the players however in this case it feels a little redundant to have separate disabling over a master on/off, but hey, if we do end up with separate sliders for each then that's perfectly fine too so long as it comes in the form of a single master switch item made available at a logical point.

Back
Top Bottom