Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I'm trying to summon a pirate invasion and have the pirates spawn at the ocean, so I can farm more maps, but they won't spawn anywhere besides the middle of the map, they seem to ignore all the other towns i've built, and the spawn control apparently is working on other worlds. I thought invasions only needed an NPC nearby to start spawning anywhere, am I missing something?
Help is appreciated.

If it matters, my world was created when 1.4.0.1 came out, but I'm playing in the latest version.

What I tried so far:
Restarting the game;
Verifying game files;
Moving NPCS around;
Changing my spawn point;
Using the summon item at different places, time, etc.
Removing all NPCS from near the spawn point;
Changing characters;
Waiting;
Using the king/queen statue to move npcs away from their homes;
Killing all NPCs;
Using a copy of the world;

What "worked":
Changing worlds.

My reddit post about It:

World download: The_Estate_of_Swindlers.wld

Edit: videos of what I'm trying to say:

Expectations: Expectations.mkv

Bug: Bug.mkv

Last edited:
Invasions start from the edge of the world and gradually move towards the centre. The part about NPCs refers to invasions ignoring the rule of "don't spawn hostiles near NPCs". You can't influence where it ends up by moving them around. You can catch them while they move and fight them somewhere else however.

If you want to catch pirates at the ocean, pay attention to the direction they are coming from as stated in their status message. Then go to that side of the worlds ocean, preferably with a Magic Conch.

Invasions start from the edge of the world and gradually move towards the centre. The part about NPCs refers to invasions ignoring the rule of "don't spawn hostiles near NPCs". You can't influence where it ends up by moving them around. You can catch them while they move and fight them somewhere else however.

If you want to catch pirates at the ocean, pay attention to the direction they are coming from as stated in their status message. Then go to that side of the worlds ocean, preferably with a Magic Conch.

They do though, I just defeated both a frost legion and a pirate invasion at an ocean, but in another world, you're incorrect.

No invasions only working in the middle of the world is intended, a way to not get annoyed by invasions out of the middle at least.
Invasions like the goblin army, frost legion and pirate invasion, target the world spawn OR anywhere around an NPC, I've tested and proved my affirmation, it's a bug, or you'd like for me to send a video of it working?

When I get home from work I'll record a vídeo of what I'm trying to say, english is not my first language, so maybe I expressed myself badly, Sorry for that
No it’s not the language it’s just I was confused at what you are trying to do because you said this one thing, and now you are saying something else
But yeah English is hard, it’s my first language and I’m not good at it still lol

No it’s not the language it’s just I was confused at what you are trying to do because you said this one thing, and now you are saying something else
But yeah English is hard, it’s my first language and I’m not good at it still lol

I've recorded 2 videos, the first is what I want to happen, the second is the bug.

Expectations(old world): Expectations.mkv

Bug(My world): Bug.mkv

If I explained something badly, please point out to me.

Sorry for the mouse and keyboard sounds, lol, forgot to turn mic off :v

Last edited:
I've recorded 2 videos, the first is what I want to happen, the second is the bug.

Expectations(old world): Expectations.mkv

Bug(My world): Bug.mkv

If I explained something badly, please point out to me.

Sorry for the mouse and keyboard sounds, lol, forgot to turn mic off :v
Well the old world the way you want it to work is the one bugged because you can never make it go to the ocean or stuff, it always happens like that... yeah
Also what size is the old world(if it says tiny that might be a reason)
Really only going to the middle is intended, it’s supposed to only go towards the middle not both edges of the world

Well the old world the way you want it to work is the one bugged because you can never make it go to the ocean or stuff, it always happens like that... yeah
Also what size is the old world(if it says tiny that might be a reason)
Really only going to the middle is intended, it’s supposed to only go towards the middle not both edges of the world
Seeing it worked that way since 1.2 came out, on all world sizes, I'm inclined to say that you're mistaken, it works on every single one, besides the one that i've put here for download, it also happens the same way as the old world on a completely unrelated world on mobile.

really from reading the wiki, this person is correct, they gradually move to the center of the world and yeah....

wiki says;"Note that certain invasions (Goblin Army, Frost Legion, Pirate Invasion, and Martian MadnessDesktop, Console, and Mobile versions) have location requirements. The player must be no deeper than 67.5 tiles below the surface, and the player must be within 187.5 tiles horizontally of the location of the invasion. If the invasion has reached the center of the world, then the horizontal check can also be satisfied by the player being within 187.5 tiles horizontally of any town NPC, although at a reduced spawn rate. The town NPC's vertical position is not checked and so they can be housed far above or below your arena."
also i know that it is supposed to be at the center because well on console with the martain madness after some point from moving away from the center it disappears, same with goblin and pirate invasion.

Invasion enemies do indeed spawn near any NPC aboveground on top of spawning at the center of the world, no matter if you are at the beach or in space. I remember a world of mine getting a similar bug several years ago, but that was because I forcibly modified the default spawn point for my server. Once the "invasion arrived" message appeared, no invading mob would appear near the living spaces.
If you are willing to upload the wld file of the affected world, I'll take a look when I have the time. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything to fix it, however.

really from reading the wiki, this person is correct, they gradually move to the center of the world and yeah....

wiki says;"Note that certain invasions (Goblin Army, Frost Legion, Pirate Invasion, and Martian MadnessDesktop, Console, and Mobile versions) have location requirements. The player must be no deeper than 67.5 tiles below the surface, and the player must be within 187.5 tiles horizontally of the location of the invasion. If the invasion has reached the center of the world, then the horizontal check can also be satisfied by the player being within 187.5 tiles horizontally of any town NPC, although at a reduced spawn rate. The town NPC's vertical position is not checked and so they can be housed far above or below your arena."
also i know that it is supposed to be at the center because well on console with the martain madness after some point from moving away from the center it disappears, same with goblin and pirate invasion.
From the text you copied from the Wiki:
"then the horizontal check can also be satisfied by the player being within 187.5 tiles horizontally of any town NPC, although at a reduced spawn rate. The town NPC's vertical position is not checked and so they can be housed far above or below your arena."
Really Man, I know what I'm talking about.

Invasion enemies do indeed spawn near any NPC aboveground on top of spawning at the center of the world, no matter if you are at the beach or in space. I remember a world of mine getting a similar bug several years ago, but that was because I forcibly modified the default spawn point for my server. Once the "invasion arrived" message appeared, no invading mob would appear near the living spaces.
If you are willing to upload the wld file of the affected world, I'll take a look when I have the time. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything to fix it, however.
The .wld file is already there, just below the reddit link

From the text you copied from the Wiki:
"then the horizontal check can also be satisfied by the player being within 187.5 tiles horizontally of any town NPC, although at a reduced spawn rate. The town NPC's vertical position is not checked and so they can be housed far above or below your arena."
Really Man, I know what I'm talking about.
... the location of the invasion is the spawn point of the world.... so world spawn that is the location for them...... yeah that has nothing to do with it.

Uh, could we stop beating a dead horse? Invasion mobs appear around the global spawn (which happens to be in the middle of the world) and around any town NPC, even if they are homeless, and that is a fact. I lured invasions to the corruption with just a king statue, gee.

... the location of the invasion is the spawn point of the world.... so world spawn that is the location for them...... yeah that has nothing to do with it.

Sorry dude, you're wrong, i've played this game for over 1500 hours, on 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4, both Pc and mobile, the only time invasions didn't behave the way I'm talking about, is on this one particular world, what can I do to prove this to you? Recording on mobile? Maybe an old Pc version?

Last edited:
Uh, could we stop beating a dead horse? Invasion mobs appear around the global spawn (which happens to be in the middle of the world) and around any town NPC, even if they are homeless, and that is a fact. I lured invasions to the corruption with just a king statue, gee.

You're right, it's just that everywhere i've looked for help, there's always someone that keeps insisting that i'm crazy and invasions don't work like that, sorry

Back
Top Bottom