Game Mechanics inventory sorting and management

jasonwolf

Terrarian
Ok guys we just hit 3000 different items. I think we may want to rework inventory management again.

first and foremost an autosort button would be really handy as the full inventory is a bit of a mess if you are just picking up random items. While I'm caving I rarely have the time to sit there and sort, and even if I didnt I dont want to spend my time doing so over the more fun aspects of the game.

Next up inventory movement. By holding a button and clicking an item it will move to the chest, safe, etc. you have opened. This will make dropping off items in mass much faster which when you have to sort 3k+ items in your warehouse it can be difficult.

third would be stacking trinkets and rare items in chests/storage only. I can't tell you how many items I keep in storage for crafting later (especially since I like to trade them cause its kinda fun acting like Indiana Jones retrieving artifacts for other people), so when I have 4 crates with just red balloons and clouds in a bottle I get a little annoyed it takes so much space.

Finally I think we might be due for another column of inventory, but thats very much debatable.

I agree with the general idea of this. There's so many different items in this game. You're constantly picking them up and storing them away. This game could definitely use more features like this. And I definitely think there should be more inventory space if possible, with separate slots for potions as well.

Inventory space was enough before the added extra row, and nowadays I find myself having a free row or two left after I'm done digging around - because what's trash, I trash.

And the game's already giving you plenty of ways to organize your loot, too.

I'm aware of the main cause of inventory woes. Lack of inventory management - as in, the player's side of it. For example, bringing five different weapons with you at all times, when two, or even one, more than suffice to take care of most mobs and bosses.

Or gathering all dirt. Seriously, how much dirt do you really need?

We do need a sort button, but I don't think we need more inventory slots because I usually trash lots of stuffs when I'm sorting my inventory.

You should care for your own inventory, and as a hoarder I know how hard it is even to throw away one piece of dirt.

Carrying a safe, a piggybank, and a workbench with you at all times allows you to effectively expand your inventory to 127 (50 + 40 + 40 - 3) slots. Is that enough? Heck yeah that's enough.
And for 3000 items... you don't need all of those at once.
Consider the following, currently (1.2.4.1) there are:
That's 690 items, a lot of which are craftable thus should never appear in your inventory in quantity of more than one per category.
The rest? Well there are 760 placeable items, for example. Most of these are decorated. Do you plan to carry every single kind of sofa at once? I hope not.
There's also a handful of collectible materials, but, to be realistic, you'd probably need to do something with that hoarding if you try to collect every single blinkroot/mushroom/cobweb that you find.

Back
Top Bottom