PS4 Invisible summons, pets & disappearing items

Bubblygoo

Terrarian
Since installing the new update we’ve had a few issues that we can overlook, but these are making it excruciating to play.
My husband and I play splitscreen multiplayer frequently. So far he’s lost 2 drills and some other items when accidentally entering buildmode from his open inventory. It’s a bit annoying having to mine for all the items required to re-craft these objects.

However, what’s making the game unplayable for me- summons are now invisible. They’ve been fine up until today, where mid boss fight all my summons, pets, light equipped- even some of my weapons (light disks) were invisible. I couldn’t tell where I was doing damage or how many minions I had out - leading to multiple deaths during boss fights I’ve previously breezed through.

Does anyone have a work around for these bugs/glitches? We love playing terraria, but it’s getting frustrating - especially when I can’t play on my own profile due to constant crashes & needing to delete corrupted files a few times.

Since installing the new update we’ve had a few issues that we can overlook, but these are making it excruciating to play.
My husband and I play splitscreen multiplayer frequently. So far he’s lost 2 drills and some other items when accidentally entering buildmode from his open inventory. It’s a bit annoying having to mine for all the items required to re-craft these objects.

However, what’s making the game unplayable for me- summons are now invisible. They’ve been fine up until today, where mid boss fight all my summons, pets, light equipped- even some of my weapons (light disks) were invisible. I couldn’t tell where I was doing damage or how many minions I had out - leading to multiple deaths during boss fights I’ve previously breezed through.

Does anyone have a work around for these bugs/glitches? We love playing terraria, but it’s getting frustrating - especially when I can’t play on my own profile due to constant crashes & needing to delete corrupted files a few times.
Hi @Bubblygoo, sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues.

For your items (2 drills and such) disappearing, it is a known bug being looked at, and you have correctly identified that it has to do with 'build mode'. Pipeworks is hard at work trying to catch the cause and send in bug fixes.

For the things that are going invisible, it's another common issue that's being looked at, the cause of which isn't known to me yet. I'm wondering... do you have any special dyes (dyes from Strange Plants) on your character, on your pet or your light pet? There's a theory that dyes may be causing things to go invisible, but it's still an infant theory that hasn't been proven enough yet.

For the items disappearing, a workaround is to stay away from 'build mode' at the moment until a bug fix comes out. I'm sorry that I don't have any workarounds for minions and weapons going invisible.

But if you have a moment, I would recommend sending in all your info on this to the developers directly here: https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Include as much detail as possible, like that it happens only (or not) during split screen multiplayer, what kind of gear you're wearing, anything you do right beforehand, etc. Your details may help them pinpoint the bug's cause and get it fixed.

I've had no issues with build mode, but I have experienced the invisible summons and tools. Maybe it is only during split screen, but in Multiplayer and Singleplayer is fine for me(for now). What makes my things disappear is depended on either how long I play on a world or world hopping frequently, mainly to grab paintings at the time being. How I fixed my small issues is restarting the game, and all is well. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones?

I’ve advised him to stay away from build mode if possible, the problem is he’s accidentally hitting the analog button and opening it. He’s more aware of what’s happening now & we’ll try mapping the build mode to a different part of the controller to see if that helps.

As for dyes, we have in fact used dyes, initially though the black dye turned pets/light pets invisible. It also stopped their animations and movement. We’ve also noticed that bug, along with the invisibility bug happen most frequently when we’ve died/respawned at roughly the same time (or used a recall). We’ll remove all dyes to see if that will help, but I have a feeling it may be more to do with the respawning.

I’ll be sure to report to the link you’ve posted once I have some free time to fill it all out.
Thanks for the help!

With the build mode thing, i’ve had the same problem.
It’s pretty popular, i’ve seen people complain about that. But about the pet disappearing is something more unknown, i’ve had the problem myslef a lot of times. Particles, bullets you shoot, pets , summons,... disappear then. To fix it, I just restart my game everytime it happends.

Found a way to test the invisible entity glitch, by spamming the Web Slinger.
Without dyes, nothing unusual happens, while putting dye (tested normal brown dye and negative dye) in the dye slot causes the hook, any summons and most projectiles to become invisible.

I notice after a few hours of playing(or maybe an hour), a few melee weapons, such as the Solar Eruption to have somewhat the animation, but invisble, and puts me into a stone where I can't move, but I don't just fall, while everything around moves normally. I only have 3 new dyes for my armour, and doesn't happen immediately.

Found a way to test the invisible entity glitch, by spamming the Web Slinger.
Without dyes, nothing unusual happens, while putting dye (tested normal brown dye and negative dye) in the dye slot causes the hook, any summons and most projectiles to become invisible.
Good to know @Tysup3, thanks so much for sharing this info.

For everyone else following this thread, Pipeworks will have a hotfix update that will be submitted soon that include these fixes, among others:
  • Fixed a bug where launching the game and activating build mode would delete highlighted items.
  • Fixed a bug where hotbar items would be deleted when activating build mode in split-screen.
  • Fixed a bug where using the last item of a stack in build mode, would consume a unit of a stack highlighted on the hotbar.
They are still investigating and fixing projectiles vanishing (it won’t be resolved in the next hotfix update), but they recommend staying away from dyes as a workaround in the meantime.

You can read all the info here: Status Update on Additional PS4 Hotfixes & Xbox One Release

I can say it was some dyes I don't remember what ones and when someone joins multiplayer! And soon after I read on here from another topic about dyes being a cause and we both removed dyes and no more invisible stuff.

Last edited:
I know this is late but i've been having issues with dissappearing equipment as well. Complete functionality remains, but the graphics are not present. My grappling hook, light pet, and regular pet were all graphically not present, but my light pet still emitted light. I was using many dyes at the time, but when I started to apply Shadow Dye to the above mentioned equipment, the moment I applied the dye to the grappling hook, it vanished, but I could still hook objects like normal. I removed the other Shadow Dyes and the others vanished too. I tried resummoning and reloading the world. Did not yield in them coming back. I then removed all dyes and reloaded. Still, no results. Used primarily the special dyes from the trader. I had farmed up a whole inventory of loot from another world prior to coming onto main world and obtaining/equipping the Shadow Dyes. My grappling hook is, well, the Grappling Hook, my light pet is The Shadow Orb pet, and my regular pet is the Baby Eater of Souls.

Hope this mouthful of a paragraph provides some information.

Last edited:
Went to expriment with the issue and found that closing the game and reopening it fixes the issue. Maybe switching worlds with large amounts of items and a great deal of dyes messes with the game? I currently cannot seem to recreate the bug.

I think I found the problem. I had been playing with dyes for quite a while now. I recently put a dye on my new grappling hook because I didn't like the color. After using it and testing it out a couple times, I noticed my hook was gone, my pets were gone, and my demon sythe which I also recently got, didn't show it's projectiles. Light and certain particle effects are functional, though. No large amount of objects present in my inventory, so that debunks my previous hypothesis. I think grappling hooks with dyes are bugged. Could recreate reliably with enough throws of my grappling hook. Will continue experiments. Avoid using dyes on grappling hooks, my fellow terrarians.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom